How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 03-25-2002, 08:13 PM
EverclearAtMSU

gotta bit** about this

sorry all, but i have to vent. I was coming out of the garage when the gate came down on my car, wacked it really good and tore my anntena right off!

Is there anyway i can get the own of the garage to pay for the repairs? where it came down and draged along isn't a problem, just some plastic from the pvc pipe rubbed onto the paint and came right off when I rubbed my finger over it, no dent (thank god) But my antenna is bent all the way back at the base!!!
Old 03-25-2002, 08:40 PM
Green1995SVX

Ouch, sorry to hear about that. My mother had a similar situation involving a railroad crossing gate... that was her own dumb fault for trying to run it though.

-Mike
Old 03-25-2002, 08:44 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Quote:
Originally posted by Green1995SVX
Ouch, sorry to hear about that. My mother had a similar situation involving a railroad crossing gate... that was her own dumb fault for trying to run it though.

-Mike
go thing something else did not get to her first.

lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 03-25-2002, 09:32 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
At least the repair is fairly inexpensive, around $37 for a new mast at the dealer, last I heard. The garage owner shouldn't kick too much over that.

Beav
Old 03-25-2002, 09:50 PM

Send a message via AIM to SVXMAN2001
$37? think again, when I first got my car, the one thing that was wrong with it was the antenna mast was completely missing. It ended up costing me $130 something, it seems its not just the metal mast they have to replace but the entire assembly, some plastic cord runs up the whole thing and you have to rewire it so the mast can go up and down.

chris
Old 03-25-2002, 10:55 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by SVXMAN2001
$37? think again, when I first got my car, the one thing that was wrong with it was the antenna mast was completely missing. It ended up costing me $130 something, it seems its not just the metal mast they have to replace but the entire assembly, some plastic cord runs up the whole thing and you have to rewire it so the mast can go up and down.

chris
If the mast is bent, and not broken, more than likely the "plastic cord" is not broken. Therefore, a mast replacement is all that will be needed. Several members have done this.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 03-25-2002, 11:00 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

Several members have done this.
Myself included. Can you say "Take it out, it hurts?"

I was off by a $1.06 http://www.svxparts.com/diag/?model=...category=863-1

Beav
Old 03-25-2002, 11:15 PM
Boone

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Beav
[B]

Myself included. Can you say "Take it out, it hurts?"

ahem.....
Attached Files
File Type: wav images.wav (42.4 KB, 111 views)
Old 03-26-2002, 05:14 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by SVXMAN2001

chris
Just replaced the mast on my 94, it comes with the plastic cord as part of the mast, cost about $44 delivered, installed it myself, the labor must be why your's cost $130, Subaru probably gets 2 hours for removing the whole assmeblly and replacing the mast.
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 03-26-2002, 06:12 AM
EverclearAtMSU

Quote:
Originally posted by huck369

Just replaced the mast on my 94, it comes with the plastic cord as part of the mast, cost about $44 delivered, installed it myself, the labor must be why your's cost $130, Subaru probably gets 2 hours for removing the whole assmeblly and replacing the mast.
I took it to the circuit city "road shop" yesterday, just because my friend is the manager over there and he usually hooks me up. I'm looking at $80 to replace it, and the little plastic thingie is broken inside. He said that because I turned the car on and off while the mast was bent, that it held the plastic thingie and stripped the gears that it uses to bring the plastic thingie in and out, that pushes the antena in and out. $80 is the price of parts, no labor charge.

I currently can get some stations, but it's stuck in the up position. and the reception on some of my non local stations is really bad.

I'm going to go yell at DPS (the office that handles all the parking/traffic stuff over here) and see if I cant get some $ out of them.
Old 03-26-2002, 06:33 AM
EverclearAtMSU

semi good news

I just got off the phone w/ risk managment, they are coming down to look at my car today and assess the dammage. Me thinks I shouldn't of buffed out the plastic trail the arm left yesterday
Old 03-26-2002, 06:55 AM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
The cord does not use gears, only friction as far as I can tell. The mast I helped to replace did not have any teeth on either the old or new part. Your biggest problem will be getting the old cord out if it's snapped, but at this point, it couldn't hurt to use a pair of needle nose pliers. Get the broken pieces out now and cover up the hole to prevent any further problems from developing while you wait for the replacement. Unless the base has been damaged, a new mast is all you need.

KuoH

Quote:
Originally posted by EverclearAtMSU

I took it to the circuit city "road shop" yesterday, just because my friend is the manager over there and he usually hooks me up. I'm looking at $80 to replace it, and the little plastic thingie is broken inside. He said that because I turned the car on and off while the mast was bent, that it held the plastic thingie and stripped the gears that it uses to bring the plastic thingie in and out, that pushes the antena in and out. $80 is the price of parts, no labor charge.
Old 03-26-2002, 07:11 AM
EverclearAtMSU

Quote:
Originally posted by kuoh
The cord does not use gears, only friction as far as I can tell. The mast I helped to replace did not have any teeth on either the old or new part. Your biggest problem will be getting the old cord out if it's snapped, but at this point, it couldn't hurt to use a pair of needle nose pliers. Get the broken pieces out now and cover up the hole to prevent any further problems from developing while you wait for the replacement. Unless the base has been damaged, a new mast is all you need.

KuoH

I was under the impression that the plastic cord thing has little raised notches at the end, in the base, that are used to pull it back in. I know that's what my last cars power antena had, but i'm sure they made more than one kind of power antena. Either way, I'm telling them that I was quoted at $180 to replace everything. Which is what this car sterio place actually wants
Plus I have emotional distress! I'll never beable to go go though that gate again, I cant work, LAWSUIT

Hey, if someone can sue for burning themselfs on coffee, I can sue for this my svx will need therapy!

FYI, i'm not serrious for all you fenatics out there. But I will try and get $180 out of it