Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > European Forum

Old 04-21-2006, 05:24 AM
Phil & Belha

That silver VE is back on ebay again!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=4633449657

I emailed the previous buyer to tell him about the club and he replyed saying that he needed to sell his old car to get the money to pay for the SVX. It looks like he didn't succeed.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SE Sports Tourer
1996 Subaru Legacy 2.2 GX Wagon
1988 Subaru Justy J12 SL-II
Old 04-21-2006, 12:30 PM

Send a message via MSN to Maineman1963
Hia folks. Had seen it relisted despite the fact that it was sold last time with no reserve for around £2500 so assume must have the usual Ebay timewasters. This silver car looks great and has a half decent spec seemingly close to that of a UK car. Tempting ......... Still not "worth" ( well it would be if the SVX was a known brand here !) £3995 though ! I might try and get to see it as quite local to me work permitting, cheers David
Old 04-21-2006, 09:53 PM
<<<Alcyone

This is one rare car! "ONLY 14257 EVER MADE WORLDWIDE"

I wasn't too keen on the floor mats until I saw the Alcyone & SVX logo on them. Now I want some for my wife's Teal!

That is a nice looking car. In the US, that would be considered a very low mile car. With the UK having a few less miles/kilometers of roadway compared to the US, would you guys also consider it to be low mileage?

Everything I know about England, I've learned from Red Dwarf, Dr. Who. and Carol Smiley.

Pentiums - Melt in your PC, not in your hand!

Project - '92 Claret - Purchased May '06, 99,XXX Miles. Includes two bad engines and one bad tranny, cracked windshield, otherwise mostly complete.

His - '92 Ebony Pearl - Purchased Dec '05, 134,687 Miles. Parked, TC Seal(?) is leaking.Daily driver - 140,500 and climbing.
Hers - '92 Teal - Purchased Aug '05, 129,050 Miles. Daily driver - 160,000 and climbing.
Mods:
PWR Radiator!
Problems:
Antenna doesn't work - Bought a 'new' one - Too cold to install . . . OK, it's warmer but I have other projects too!
Ticking from front of engine, passenger side - Stuck lifter?
Old 04-21-2006, 10:24 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
What's the white junk sprayed over the manifold?

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 04-21-2006, 11:37 PM
<<<Alcyone

I noticed that too, my first thought was road salt, lots of corrosion on the intake, alternator and A/C compressor. The plastic and rubbery bits to the left and right seem to be fairly spotless?

I think the radiator has been replaced and didn't line up correctly. Each of the mounting brackets are missing a bolt. That lighter area just below the radiator cap looks like mine did as mine was starting to form its crack, same location too. Maybe the white stuff and corrosion is being caused by leaking coolant?

The more I look at this 53,000 mile engine picture, mine are starting to look pretty clean!

Dan
Old 04-22-2006, 03:04 AM
Phil & Belha

The floormats are really nice when you see them for real. Really thick plush carpet, with the shiny gold logo. The pattern is supposed to be a blue rose with green leaves.

53k is definitely considered low mileage for a 12 year old car in the UK. But as David said, it's not worth 3995.

At the 2004 JAE meet, Barry had a very similar SVX, minus the sunroof and airbags IIRC. It had about 40k miles and was absolutely spotless, even the engine compartment. It looked like he'd just driven it out of the showroom that morning - except the wheels were on backwards.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/b3lha/19757.jpg
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
Old 04-22-2006, 03:43 AM
<<<Alcyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by b3lha
The floormats are really nice when you see them for real. Really thick plush carpet, with the shiny gold logo. The pattern is supposed to be a blue rose with green leaves.
Any idea how I could find a set of them? And what it would cost to ship them to Portland, Oregon, USA? Are they a Subaru part or some aftermarket company? Do you know of a website where I can order them?

My wife does landscape design during the 'off season' when she's not working at our local ski resort, and I can't keep track of how many rose bushes she's had me plant for her . . .

Dan
Old 04-22-2006, 05:04 AM

I have to say the car almost looks too good for a 12 y/o car and I assume has been resprayed at some point ? Mileage is low but was only imported in to the UK in 2003 seemingly. I believe from the seller there is no history as such. The white stuff over the engine bay is I suspect dried out road salt and should wash off ( suprised the seller left it on as it looks awful). Our 95 UK car ( after 10 winters worth of road salt !) doesn't look this bad Between £2k and £2500 seems about right for a 94 import car given the lack of history etc. Car does look good though.

Just had our car fully serviced inc plugs, cam belt and 3 of the 4 badly corroded wheels replaced with cheap but better ones off Ebay. Will keep it going until we have them fully redone and powder coated @ £60/wheel. The indie garage I took the car to could not find anything wrong which with 95k miles is pleasing ! Take care all, David
Old 04-22-2006, 08:28 AM
Phil & Belha

Quote:
Originally Posted by intelisevil
Any idea how I could find a set of them? And what it would cost to ship them to Portland, Oregon, USA? Are they a Subaru part or some aftermarket company? Do you know of a website where I can order them?

My wife does landscape design during the 'off season' when she's not working at our local ski resort, and I can't keep track of how many rose bushes she's had me plant for her . . .

Dan
They are a Subaru part. But, according to James' supplier, they are no longer available.

http://www.geocities.com/Jamsvx/jdmaccessories6.html

Your best bet would be to look for someone parting out a JDM car. There was one at a scrap yard near Gloucester, but that was a couple of years ago, I can't imagine they still have it.

My 92 has the shiny black trunk mat with the same Alcyone SVX logo. No. 18 in the catalogue. These seem to be quite rare. http://www.geocities.com/Jamsvx/jdmaccessories7.html
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
Old 04-22-2006, 12:46 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
How does one drive in such a way things fly up onto the manifold?
Even without a lower guard I never get dirt or anything above the lower rad hose.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 04-22-2006, 03:27 PM

Nik Fu good question ! I am viewing the car tomorrow as I am looking for a good genuine 2nd SVX. This one looks good but need to understand why it is so dirty under the bonnet. David
Old 04-23-2006, 08:44 AM

Well folks, have been to see the silver beast. Genuine guy selling the car who had bought it for his brother to run who had come back to the UK from Hong Kong and had always fancied a SVX. Some brother eh ? The guy buys and sells BMW/Jags and keen to move the SVX on.

Car is a good one, straight, few minor dings etc here and there. Wheels need a refurb , tell me a SVX that hasn't has that problem here in the UK ? Mechanically seemed Ok, changed gear OK, revved smoothly, quiet on tickover. Car was imported in to the UK early in 2003 and the only documentation are the old MOT's so no idea what has been done to it or not. Easy enough to contact the two previous owners etc but for example no idea if the belts were done at 45k miles. I would want a full service inc the plugs and belts. Salt spray under the bonnet and over the mainfold which is not corrosion as such. Has had a new radiator as spotted and bolts missing. New battery Jan 06 and has a Cat2 alarm / immob fitted with cert.

Will be interesting to see what it makes. I may well make the guy an offer once had a chat with my fellow SVX partner but suspect he wants more than I think it's worth. David

PS the mats are well unique and not my taste I have to say !!!!
Old 04-23-2006, 02:17 PM
Phil & Belha

Another one has just appeared on ebay, having been on autotrader for a couple of months without selling. It's a green 1994 import S40-II model, the same as mine but apparently in better condition. Mileage is 119K (miles/kilometers?).

This is a lower spec than the version E. It has ABS, but no sunroof, cruise or airbag. The interior is not to everyones taste. The thing that makes it worth collecting IMHO is that they are rare as hens teeth - only 300 ever made.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=4634337264

TWAOB.

Phil.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
Old 04-25-2006, 02:44 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Salt damage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineman1963
Well folks, have been to see the silver beast. Genuine guy selling the car who had bought it for his brother to run who had come back to the UK from Hong Kong and had always fancied a SVX. Some brother eh ? The guy buys and sells BMW/Jags and keen to move the SVX on.

Car is a good one, straight, few minor dings etc here and there. Wheels need a refurb , tell me a SVX that hasn't has that problem here in the UK ? Mechanically seemed Ok, changed gear OK, revved smoothly, quiet on tickover. Car was imported in to the UK early in 2003 and the only documentation are the old MOT's so no idea what has been done to it or not. Easy enough to contact the two previous owners etc but for example no idea if the belts were done at 45k miles. I would want a full service inc the plugs and belts. Salt spray under the bonnet and over the mainfold which is not corrosion as such. Has had a new radiator as spotted and bolts missing. New battery Jan 06 and has a Cat2 alarm / immob fitted with cert.

Will be interesting to see what it makes. I may well make the guy an offer once had a chat with my fellow SVX partner but suspect he wants more than I think it's worth. David

PS the mats are well unique and not my taste I have to say !!!!
I must say the car looks "real" in the photos, i.e. original, not damaged or resprayed.

I have been monitoring [and buying!] cars from Japan for a long time now, and I have noticed something that is not obvious to the average buyer, who considers them all "imports". How rusty they are going to be depends which Japanese islands they spent their lives on. In other words, it depends if your car comes from the northern Japanese islands, which are mountainous, have lots of snow, and road salt must be at least as cheap there as it seems to be in the UK!

If the car comes rusty from Japan, it will be because some northern Japanese person bought it for its 4WD capability, and used it in the wintry salty conditions. By contrast, the JDM car I sold recently was perfect under the bonnet, and the floorpan and suspension. From South Japan.

My Black Betty is UK spec, used all year, 120K miles on her. The state of the brakes and other components under the bonnet is dire. I have started cleaning up and replacing things. If I ran an SVX in the UK, I would store it for the winter, and run something cheaper that I did not mind corroding.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 04-25-2006, 11:54 AM

Smile

Hia Joe, yes having seen the car in the flesh if anything it looked better in the pictures ! When i saw it the car had not been cleaned / polished. As you say it looks a straight car but the wheels are scabby and just a few dings / scuffs inc the scratch on the drivers door.

Seemed a genuine car and seller bit couldnt work out why so much over the manifold covers and yet on the underside of the bonnet etc was clean. Suspect £3k would buy it which was more than i was prepared to spend given the lack of history esp the time in the UK, accepting imports are known for this.

Our UK car is kept off the roads largely in the winter for the same reason and looks good for it. 96k miles and wearing them well.

Take care all.

David

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: