How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 04-15-2006, 07:56 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
THe 6mt has a rear bias which makes it much more fun to drive than a 5mt. When I first opened her up leaving a parking lot onto a main road (55mph highway) I broke the rear tires loose and sent the ass end flying out next to me... Gotta be careful Also, I find the 6mt swap to be a little tougher because of the shift linkage. The reverse lockout cable needs to be lengthened and tig welding those little tabs can be a pain esp. if you get them too hot and melt them . Anywho, I think the 6mt swap is worth every penny. Considering that I have an extra set of 6mt shift linkage now too, I can hook you up with some parts. Just get in touch with me when the time comes...

Tom
Old 04-15-2006, 12:06 PM
#1 6MT In Cali

Send a message via AIM to gest24
Does the rear bias help at all witht the handling of the car?
1992 SVX LS-L: Now TomStock Stage 3... 6MT, R180 Rear, Tomstock Short Shifter and hard rubber mount, Group N Motor and Tranny Mount, Stage 2V6 Chip, Z32 MAF, Stage 3 CAI, Stebro, Intake Cams, 17" STi BBS Powder Coated Black, Bridgestone Potenza RE070, and Koni inserts w/Mychailo's Springs!

Sand Diego SCCA Solo 2 #308

RIP
84 VW Scirocco
02 WRX
88 XT6(regret the day I left her behind)

socaleuro.com They like the flat 6...

Check My New Homepage..
Old 04-15-2006, 03:36 PM
<<<Alcyone

gest24

I don't know what your budget is like but check out this auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEBI%3AIT

I know the auction is over. I had talked to the seller before the auction got up to $1000 and he told me the reserve was $4000 and that he had 'a couple of sets like this'. He also has some WRX 5-speeds available.

His set up looks fairly complete. With the included front and rear knuckles, maybe you could be the first one to figure out how to install STI brakes on our SVXi!

Good Luck,
Dan
Old 04-15-2006, 09:31 PM
#1 6MT In Cali

Quote:
Originally Posted by intelisevil
gest24

I don't know what your budget is like but check out this auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEBI%3AIT

I know the auction is over. I had talked to the seller before the auction got up to $1000 and he told me the reserve was $4000 and that he had 'a couple of sets like this'. He also has some WRX 5-speeds available.

His set up looks fairly complete. With the included front and rear knuckles, maybe you could be the first one to figure out how to install STI brakes on our SVXi!

Good Luck,
Dan
That's the basis for what I want to spend. It's pretty much a full swap! 4K for that would be well worth it.
1992 SVX LS-L: Now TomStock Stage 3... 6MT, R180 Rear, Tomstock Short Shifter and hard rubber mount, Group N Motor and Tranny Mount, Stage 2V6 Chip, Z32 MAF, Stage 3 CAI, Stebro, Intake Cams, 17" STi BBS Powder Coated Black, Bridgestone Potenza RE070, and Koni inserts w/Mychailo's Springs!

RIP
84 VW Scirocco
02 WRX

Check My New Homepage..
Old 04-16-2006, 05:27 AM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by gest24
Does the rear bias help at all witht the handling of the car?
As long as you are used to driving a RWD car.

Tom
Old 04-16-2006, 08:06 PM
#1 6MT In Cali

So Tom would you want to take a trip to Cali for a couple days to do an install? I have access to lifts and air tools... :-D

RIP
84 VW Scirocco
02 WRX

Check My New Homepage..
Old 04-16-2006, 08:14 PM
Maniac modifier

maybe... depends on what my schedule looks like. About what time are we talking about??

Tom
Old 04-16-2006, 08:23 PM
#1 6MT In Cali

Late Summer/Early Fallish. It'd be better to trust someone like you with my Pearl than some Joe Schmuckatelli at a random tranny shop.

RIP
84 VW Scirocco
02 WRX

Check My New Homepage..
Old 04-16-2006, 08:35 PM
Maniac modifier

well where in Cali are you exactly?? Not used to the West coast and I have been meaning to visit my old friend that moved out there just last year. Might be a possibility just has to happen before I go back to school in the fall

Tom
Old 04-16-2006, 08:52 PM
#1 6MT In Cali

I'm in North Eastern San Diego.

RIP
84 VW Scirocco
02 WRX

Check My New Homepage..
Old 04-17-2006, 09:31 AM
Maniac modifier

ok cool. I see her in May and ask her if tyhat near her. Maybe I need to get to the west coast for the first time in my life

Tom
Old 04-17-2006, 10:30 AM
<<<Alcyone

Tom - If you visit gest in San Diego, you should take some time and 'sneak' across the border into Mexico. Keep in mind that many of the border towns in Mexico are mostly considered to be temporary housing for individuals waiting for their chance to come to the US. I learned this when I was an 'illegal alien' working at my company's printing plant in Reynosa, Mexico for two weeks back in the early '90s.

gest - I don't know if it's still there because I haven't been to San Diego in several years, I was born in the pink Naval hospital up on the hill near Balboa Park.

I remember my favorite place to eat was Anthony's Fish Grotto, you could cut their Abalone steaks with a fork . . . drool!

Dan
Old 04-17-2006, 09:59 PM
#1 6MT In Cali

Quote:
Originally Posted by intelisevil
Tom - If you visit gest in San Diego, you should take some time and 'sneak' across the border into Mexico. Keep in mind that many of the border towns in Mexico are mostly considered to be temporary housing for individuals waiting for their chance to come to the US. I learned this when I was an 'illegal alien' working at my company's printing plant in Reynosa, Mexico for two weeks back in the early '90s.

gest - I don't know if it's still there because I haven't been to San Diego in several years, I was born in the pink Naval hospital up on the hill near Balboa Park.

I remember my favorite place to eat was Anthony's Fish Grotto, you could cut their Abalone steaks with a fork . . . drool!

Dan
The Hospitol is still there. I don't think they use it anymore. There is a new Naval Medical Center Balboa. Still a nice place tho. I've heard of that Anthony's place. Haven't eaten there tho sice my GF isn't big into seafood.

If Tom comes out and wants to hit Mexico it's all good. I made E-4 and really only have to worry about OKing it with my command (which they rarely decline if you have someone to go with).

RIP
84 VW Scirocco
02 WRX

Check My New Homepage..
Old 04-19-2006, 09:35 AM
#1 6MT In Cali

Hey Tom, if you'd come out how long would it take to do the swap? The shop that I'd use is open from 9am till 8pm at about $4 an hour.

RIP
84 VW Scirocco
02 WRX

Check My New Homepage..
Old 04-19-2006, 11:45 AM
Maniac modifier

2-3 full days... Thats being generous. Not to mention I would probobly want to bring most of my own tools because I like them more

Tom