How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 03-28-2006, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrophil
We don't do whole cars. We won't paint a car over 10 years old. We do insurance work only. The vehicle must be a repair job in order to fully paint.
My mechanic recommended a local guy with an outstanding rep to wet sand and clearcoat my car, and that guy gave me the same business, saying that anything other than collision repair was too much of a PITA. Wouldn't even talk about a price.

A couple of weeks ago there was an article in the local paper about the many restored collectible cars in this region, in which the reluctant paintmeister was mentioned prominently. Oh, well...

dcb
Old 03-28-2006, 07:22 AM
Bipa

Here ya go Robert... always glad to help

Q: Please give me a list of 20 GOOD web sites that provide useful
information on how to paint a car.

A: Here are 20 GOOD websites on HOW TO PAINT A CAR. Sites include
instructions, project photos, health and safety concerns, video and
book resources, government regulations, and forum discussions. I have
reviewed each site and provide a brief description under each link.

http://answers..com/answers/threadview?id=261274

Ohh.... can't resist... it is sort of on topic

A BLONDE, wanting to earn some money, decided to hire herself out as a handyman-type and started canvassing a wealthy neighborhood. She went to the front door of the first house and asked the owner if he had any jobs for her to do.
"Well, you can paint my porch. How much will you charge?"
The blonde said "How about 50 dollars?"
The man agreed and told her that the paint and ladders that she might need were in the garage.
The man's wife, inside the house, heard the conversation and said to her husband, "Does she realize that the porch goes all the way around the house?"
The man replied, "She should. She was standing on the porch."
A short time later, the blonde came to the door to collect her money.
"You're finished already?" he asked.
"Yes," the blonde answered, "and I had paint left over, so I gave it two coats."
Impressed, the man reached in his pocket for the $50.
"And by the way," the blonde added, "that's not a Porch, it's a Ferrari."

Last edited by Bipa; 03-28-2006 at 07:25 AM.
Old 03-28-2006, 07:29 AM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX
Wrong Las Vegas

Robert--you live in the wrong Las Vegas. We have a couple shops here that do quality paint jobs. Pretty good for a small town where a "peace demonstration" consists of 17 kooks.

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red
(+6 with other members of the family)

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 03-28-2006, 08:56 AM
Old Guy

Don't give up. There are 144 listings for Automotive Paint & Body Shops in the Las Vegas area Yellow Pages. Call your insurance agent and ask him/her for a listing of their approved/preferred paint & body shops. Call your local Subaru dealer and ask who they use for paint & body work. Ask at your local auto parts store. They usually know the local shops and who does good work for a fair price. Ask around and you should find several shops that will be happy to do your paint job, especially if you are willing to put up a few bucks in advance. Caution: Check out the shop before leaving your car with them. Take a look at their paint stall(s). They should be squeaky clean and well ventilated. Examine their equipment - it should be clean and arranged in some sort of logical order. Ask about the type of paint they will use and the quality of match you seek. Ask to see an example of their work on another car. Take your time and get it done right the first time. Best wishes.
Preston
Old 03-28-2006, 11:18 AM
Which manual is "that" in??

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhopp77
Robert--you live in the wrong Las Vegas. We have a couple shops here that do quality paint jobs. Pretty good for a small town where a "peace demonstration" consists of 17 kooks.

Lee
Bingo! That is what I need to try. Go to a smaller town and find a father/son style business. Thanks!!

(You weren't one of those 17 kooks were ya?)

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.
Update: 09 January, and still not in jail! Wassup??

1992 Teal LS-L - 160k (Now new and improved with perfect paint!)
Old 03-28-2006, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipa
Here ya go Robert... always glad to help

Q: Please give me a list of 20 GOOD web sites that provide useful
information on how to paint a car.

A: Here are 20 GOOD websites on HOW TO PAINT A CAR. Sites include
instructions, project photos, health and safety concerns, video and
book resources, government regulations, and forum discussions. I have
reviewed each site and provide a brief description under each link.

http://answers..com/answers/threadview?id=261274

"
Hijack: I didn't know you could do this. Amazing. Thanks!
(Your joke is old. That was variation# 188 on the porch joke. Get a new joke book.)

End of Hijack.

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.

Old 03-28-2006, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpear
I can give you few hints if you plan to do it yourslef , I have been trying that on a piece of metal board, it turned out that I can do a better job than any paint shop I have been to
Hints would be great if I decide to dwell toward this abyss.

I think the comments made earlier about taking up to a year are probably dead on. Kind of a scary undertaking.

Old 03-28-2006, 11:36 AM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
Definantly gotta find soem mom n pop style hotrod shop outside of vegas if you want it done right. Find the guy with the longest beard or the least limbs,fingers, or teeth. he will probly do the best job
-Eric
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 03-28-2006, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Just Eric
Definantly gotta find soem mom n pop style hotrod shop outside of vegas if you want it done right. Find the guy with the longest beard or the least limbs,fingers, or teeth. he will probly do the best job
-Eric
Crazy thing is, you're right!

I was thinking of this guy:

He does quality custom jobs for some state agencies:

Old 03-28-2006, 02:29 PM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Quote:
Hints would be great if I decide to dwell toward this abyss.

I think the comments made earlier about taking up to a year are probably dead on. Kind of a scary undertaking.
Come on Rob, do it, face your fears we are all behind you buddy

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 03-28-2006, 03:00 PM
Bipa

Quote:
Hijack: I didn't know you could do this. Amazing. Thanks!

End of Hijack.
What, ya didn't know a blond could paint a Ferrari?
(Hey... old jokes for old folks, eh? LOL.)

Actually, these guys look interesting, though probably expensive.
But they advertise that they do, among other things, "B!tchin' Paint Jobs"

I'd be curious to see how much they quote ya. Check out the web page!

Mountain West
5151 Procyon St. #101
Las Vegas, NV 89118
(702) 262-1300
(702) 262-1332

http://www.mountainwestcustom.com/
Old 03-28-2006, 04:38 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDSides
Don't give up. There are 144 listings for Automotive Paint & Body Shops in the Las Vegas area Yellow Pages. Call your insurance agent and ask him/her for a listing of their approved/preferred paint & body shops. Call your local Subaru dealer and ask who they use for paint & body work. Ask at your local auto parts store. They usually know the local shops and who does good work for a fair price. Ask around and you should find several shops that will be happy to do your paint job, especially if you are willing to put up a few bucks in advance. Caution: Check out the shop before leaving your car with them. Take a look at their paint stall(s). They should be squeaky clean and well ventilated. Examine their equipment - it should be clean and arranged in some sort of logical order. Ask about the type of paint they will use and the quality of match you seek. Ask to see an example of their work on another car. Take your time and get it done right the first time. Best wishes.
Preston
Howdy Preston

From another old guy. Hope you are keeping well, man. I don't see you around too often.

I'm about to get my Ebony repainted next month. The proper paint for the SVX is very expensive. Well, over here it is anyway

If you go to someone who paints for the Custom Car/Classic Car market, the job will be good but expensive. The people requiring the job will be exacting, and have the money to be able to afford an impeccable job. Doing it RIGHT takes time, which takes money.

Follow Preston's advice, you can't go wrong.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 03-28-2006, 05:08 PM
6MT STi-ified, now with R180!

Send a message via ICQ to Nemesis Destiny Send a message via MSN to Nemesis Destiny
Yeah, I'm soon to be looking at some paint and body work on both cars. The Silver has a bad case of clearcoat cracking on the front end, the results of a crappy, half-assed repaint from before I bought it. It also is starting in the rear fenders, and has a few dings. The Ebony... ah, the Ebony. The driver's door is just nasty. Gonna take some serious bodywork to fix that up. Also has some rear fender rot, and dings. I wonder how much it will cost.... (factory quality)
1992 LS-L Touring, Liquid Silver w/ Black, 110k mi. "Alice." Rebuilt title. Mods: WRX 6-CD changer, 17x8" Motegi LC-12 (16.5lbs), PWR rad, Perrin LCP, JDM v.8 6MT + R180, Koni + Ground Control (325f/280r), Earthworm Bushings. Awaiting resto.
1994 LSI The legendary "Shotgun Slade" 110k mi and still going strong!

2005 Outback XT Limited 5MT, Obsidian Black Pearl, 211k km, daily driver.
1999 Mazda MX5 base 5MT, Twilight Blue Metallic, 152k km. "Twilight Sparkle" Summer daily driver!
2007 Honda CR-V, some awful shade of light green *yawn*

1992 LS-L Touring, Ebony Mica, 176k kms. Parts car. SCRAPPED.
1992 LS-L, Dark Teal, 367k km. "Wintergreen" the winter beater.*SCRAPPED due to rust*

Last edited by Nemesis Destiny; 03-28-2006 at 05:13 PM.
Old 03-28-2006, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipa
What, ya didn't know a blond could paint a Ferrari?
(Hey... old jokes for old folks, eh? LOL.)

Actually, these guys look interesting, though probably expensive.
But they advertise that they do, among other things, "B!tchin' Paint Jobs"

I'd be curious to see how much they quote ya. Check out the web page!

Mountain West
5151 Procyon St. #101
Las Vegas, NV 89118
(702) 262-1300
(702) 262-1332

http://www.mountainwestcustom.com/
Went there! Which is where I got the tip on where to take my car.

I pulled in, and some guy with a Frank Zappa face was out in the parking lot. I get out, and he said you coming in here? I said yeah, and the conversation basically went immediately to what I wanted and what was my budget.

Unfortunately, I didn't "qualify".

But.... He told me where to go with my measly $2,500.

He sent me... of all places, to a Maaco shop. I was kind of insulted. He said "Hold on, this guy does all of Shelby's work. Check him out."

We all know who Carroll Shelby is, so I bit. Ya never know.

This particular place is over close to Nellis AFB. I hadn't ventured out there.

I get there, and check out the jobs out in front and only one I could tell had been repainted, and it looked pretty bad. The rest around the front were either original paint or very well done... I couldn't tell. I go inside to investigate, and then things started going extremely well. I tell the girl I want their top service which was "signature", she has me fill out a form, and I wait for an estimator.

The owner, Bob Berlinger, comes out to estimate, and things went even better. He went over my car with a fine tooth comb. I mean every inch! Every other place that agreed to do a full paint just kinda turned their head to the side, and threw me a number. This guy was on his knees going around the car. He pointed out every single flaw and explained how they would fix them. I was really impressed.

He finishes, goes inside, and gets on the computer. and fires out an estimate for $2,728.40. I have a tendency to sometimes be a little blunt, and I... as tactfully as I could, pointed out the bad press Maaco has. I threw in a "now I'm not trying to offensive or anything, but...."

He said 3 words: "Come on back".

He gave me a complete tour of his shop, and the cars that were there. There were 12 cars in various degrees of completion there. Half were getting the top of the line. He took me to each car (OK, don't touch...) and explained where the car was in the process, and what was coming next.

Of those 6, two belonged to Carroll Shelby... One of those was a 68 GT500. (I'm not kidding here...) He said that Carroll told him it was worth $750,000 and there was just 3 others like that particular one in the world. The other was a 67 GT350, and both personally belonged to Carroll Shelby. He said they were both staying in the original color.

Both of them were stripped, no motors, no interiors... Just a shell on a pedestal. Which of course made me say a dumb joke - "Wow! Just think what it would be worth with a motor in it!!".

Another one in the shop in the sanding phase.... or whatever they call it when you block sand it after painting... was a 1963 Corvette. He said it belonged to a basketball player. It was also a frame off. He said once it's sanded like that, it has to sit for at least 2 days. He said this one will sit for 2 weeks as dictated by the owner, but that long is not really necessary.

Another was a Pepto Bismo pink Jeep cherokee that was being finished up. I can't think of a color more puke inducing than Pepto Bismo pink, but it actually looked good!

I'm sold! Now I know there is no way I'm going to get the quality that Carroll Shelby, or a pro basketball player, or Tom Cruise is getting. (yes, him too... not kidding... classic Thunderbird.) I'm also sure they are paying a lot more than $2,700 for those paintjobs.

But! According to this Bob Berlinger, he is the top grossing Maaco in the country. I would assume that naturally due to his clientele, so you know the quality of his employees are top notch. I'm assuming I'll end up with one of his rookies who are working their way up to work on the "cars of the stars", and that's fine. He'll be wanting to impress the boss, and won't be wanting any complaints.

I take it in Thursday morning. He said he will need it at least 10 business days, and to expect up to 15 in case there are problems. (I have rust on the driver's rear quarter panel he's fixing).

I can't believe I'm going to get a paint job at Maaco, and I'm actually looking forward to it. But if you had seen that shop, and the cars in it, you would be excited too. I keep forgetting how many rich people live here, and that they have classic cars needing full paintjobs.

I'm going to do before and after shots, and post them when it's completed.

Old 03-28-2006, 05:47 PM

I'm just a happy camper right now.
Bipa, there is no way you are as old as that joke.
I'm just hoping it turns out half as good as I'm thinking.