Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2005, 08:48 AM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuoh
...As for getting W2K cheaply, it's as close as your favorite P2P software, if you have another PC...
Huh??

Quote:
...If you're lucky, you might get away with a repair install so you won't have to reinstall all the drivers and software. Make sure your product key sticker is still on the bottom of the laptop and readable. You will need a valid key, as MS is now locking pirate keys out of windows updates.
So if that sticker is worn away/not there, I would need the full version to install new?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraph
If you ship me your laptop and if your HDD in the laptop is fine, I'll restore your system.
Thanks for the offer Lwin, I'll let you know...
Old 10-18-2005, 10:48 AM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
I'll PM you
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 10-18-2005, 03:58 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

My dad is the one who has the computer. He seems to think a new install is necessary... but then again, he was a army warehouse computer designer for 30 years so I'm sure what he wants is overkill. Still cheaper than a new computer though even at government prices. Of course he would be the first to ditch windows as it is completely worthless and just brings demand for more and more power if you could get away with it today. I only understand DOS from my upbringing.
Old 10-18-2005, 04:01 PM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
P2P = Peer to Peer
Without the sticker, you'd have to "find" a valid key to install.

KuoH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hocrest
Huh??

So if that sticker is worn away/not there, I would need the full version to install new?
Old 10-19-2005, 11:02 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
You will need a valid key, as MS is now locking pirate keys out of windows updates.
There's an easy way to still get your updates. PM me if you would like to know how.
Old 10-19-2005, 07:38 PM

Already know, plus autoudpdate still works...for now, but no guarantees in the future.

KuoH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm
There's an easy way to still get your updates. PM me if you would like to know how.
Old 10-20-2005, 10:16 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Linux is a good guarantee for the future

There's actually a few ways to get Windows Update to work again.
Old 10-20-2005, 01:43 PM
Poor College Racer

Send a message via AIM to drivemusicnow
Lwin!!!!!

I'm actually also having problems with my laptop.. which just so happens to also be a toshiba satellite... my problem is its the only winblows computer I own... i have the original disks, however they have 98 and ME on them which just don't work for me. I have win2k pro on it right now, however it took me forever to do. I think i have bad sectors on my HD and basically had to partition the hell out of the disk to load the operating system on. right now i have 3 4gig partitions and one 8 gig. It sort of works, however i can't get the drivers to work. i download them, "install" them... and nothing happens. I'm not too worried about the bad sectors on the HD as this computer is just for my car and will be hardwired in. I don't need that much space for logging.

If anyone knows of a good way to be able to fix the bad sectors, or be able to get drivers to work the way it is now, i'd like to know.

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
90 Red Eclipse GSX track ho
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker
Old 10-21-2005, 10:12 AM
Meow!

You don't want to fix the bad sectors, you want to scan the crap out of the drive to mark as many of them bad as possible. Make sure you don't choose any options to attempt to repair bad sectors.
Old 10-23-2005, 10:17 PM

Most modern drives have a number of spare sectors that are remapped by the firmware when it detects bad ones. The OS generally doesn't see any bad sectors until all of these spare sectors are used up. Once a drive gets to this stage, I would no longer trust it for any data storage, it'll just get worse.

KuoH