Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 09-14-2005, 01:48 PM
The Kind of Casual SVXer

Send a message via AIM to Weebitob
Registered SVX
Another Hyundai knocking on Subaru's door

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoweek
Hyundai's SR concept rides on MacPherson strut front suspension with new torsion beam, lowered and widened. The 18-inch alloy wheels have been fitted with wide 225/40R profile tires. Power comes from a turbocharged 2.0-liter mated to a five-speed automatic gearbox. Other features include ESP, a tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) and a surround system of airbags.The interior is trimmed in aluminum and leather. Aluminum pedals and inserts further add to the sporty look. The wraparound fascia includes an integrated 8-inch graphic display screen, 3 USB 2 multimedia ports and touch screen-type controls to activate electric windows, mirrors and seats.

Old 09-14-2005, 01:50 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
No indication of AWD though
Old 09-14-2005, 02:01 PM
The Kind of Casual SVXer

Registered SVX
Panoramic shots

And Earthworm, read what I posted below.

It seems to me that the 5 speed automic on this concept is an indication that this prototype is equipped with Hyundai's new electronic AWD system. And because of this as well as the turbo not to mention all the sporty cues says that this is Hyundai homongenization of their WRC car.

Even though they will probably tone down the interior I have a strong feeling that this trim of the Accent will be produced soon. It looks as though it is closely based on the Kia Spectra5.

Also combine that with the fact that Hyundai annouced that they are releasing the new 7 seater Santa Fe this fall, which oddly enough seems to be chasing the Tribeca. And this shows that Hyundai is now chasing after on of the base price point of the next automitive manufacturer after Honda, Subaru.

However, probably one of Hyundai's only obstacle right now is working on a manual transmission that accomodates the new AWD system. That might take a year or two if they are working hard on it.

Last edited by Weebitob; 09-14-2005 at 02:08 PM.
Old 09-14-2005, 02:12 PM

It sure looks better than anything Subaru has in the pipeline right now. (Except for the headlights.)

dcb
Old 09-14-2005, 02:13 PM
The Kind of Casual SVXer

Registered SVX
Why is it each time I post something nobody seems to care.

You understand, Hyundai is vieing to be a true competitor to Subaru.

Now all they need is an AWD Anzera to trample the Legacy.

I am already seeing plenty of 04-05 Santa Fe in south Jersey while I see bit by bit more in upstate New York. At this rate Hyundai might actually win, at least in the minds of Subaru's original budget minded American consumers.

Last edited by Weebitob; 09-14-2005 at 02:21 PM.
Old 09-14-2005, 02:14 PM

Send a message via AIM to mikecg Send a message via Yahoo to mikecg
It looks like a cross between a Scion Tc and a Mazda3
Old 09-14-2005, 02:18 PM
The Kind of Casual SVXer

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarrb
It sure looks better than anything Subaru has in the pipeline right now. (Except for the headlights.)

dcb
The front does look very much like the 2006 Toyota Vitz.

This is a pic of the new RS, which the US might get as a trim for the Echo replacement.

But the Vitz, Yaris in Europe or Canadian Echo has sold very well in Japan and Europe so I don't see a reason for Hyundai to not somewhat copy it.
Old 09-14-2005, 02:28 PM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
Not usually an Accent fan, but I like it

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 09-14-2005, 02:30 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Any indication as to the HP that thing will put out?

p.s. it's still no threat to the SVX
Old 09-14-2005, 02:44 PM
SVXtra

I doubt very much that the Hyundai SR will be offered as an AWD vehicle when it is introduced at the upcoming Frankfurt auto show. A sport suspension, perhaps an 18 inch wheel option,dual exhaust pipes off a single header, a turbo 2.0 engine with about 170 hp on a good day, aluminum pedals and perhaps a leather seating option. And hopefully an inter-cooler. But no AWD I would guess. Remember guy's Hyundai's are built for the price conscious consumer. So you guy's can throw your 230+ hp estimates for the SR out the window. Along with the the AWD system.

Last edited by SVXtra; 09-14-2005 at 03:14 PM.
Old 09-14-2005, 02:47 PM
The Kind of Casual SVXer

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm
Any indication as to the HP that thing will put out?

p.s. it's still no threat to the SVX
Well, the current 1.6l Accent GT has 104hp. Considering people have gotten up to 220hp out of that one and with this one being a 2.0l I wouldn't be surprised to see it pushing 240 or even a 250.

But since for realiablility sake and since Hyundai has a habbit of matching manufacturers at a lower cost rather than beating them, they would probably settle for 230hp.

It seems to me that Hyundai wants to compete with the WRX using a Honda like moniker.

SVXtra, I wouldn't be so sure. Who would have thought Hyundai could deliver a 5 speed AWD auto, as well as luxuries and realiability at the price they have now.

Also why do you think Hyundai would automatic in their hot hatch concept, unless they installed the AWD 5 speed auto from the Santa Fe. Either that or even an homogenized one from the WRC car.

Last edited by Weebitob; 09-14-2005 at 02:58 PM.
Old 09-14-2005, 02:59 PM
The Kind of Casual SVXer

Registered SVX
Also don't underestimate Hyundai's engineering, don't forget who is working along side GM and Mitsubishi to create the world motor that might be put into your new version of your adorring EVO.
Old 09-14-2005, 03:12 PM
SVXtra

Quote:
SVXtra, I wouldn't be so sure. Who would have thought Hyundai could deliver a 5 speed AWD auto, as well as luxuries and realiability at the price they have now.

What I see for the SR is a brilliantly executed car Hyundai can bring to market for under 20k fully loaded with no AWD. Now why would Hyundai add approximately 5k in additional expenses to a car basically designed for young people? When the EVO and STi rule the streets in the AWD sport compact market. And for the 23 to 25k a fully loaded AWD SR would cost new a person could buy a year old STi or EVO. I'm also quite sure Hyundai would like to keep the fuel economy in the 30 mpg range on regular unleaded. So from a price and marketing standpoint a AWD SR makers no sense to me.

Last edited by SVXtra; 09-14-2005 at 03:21 PM.
Old 09-14-2005, 03:27 PM
The Kind of Casual SVXer

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXtra
What I see for the SR is a brilliantly executed car Hyundai can bring to market for under 20k fully loaded with no AWD. Now why would Hyundai add approximately 5k in additional expenses to a car basically designed for young people? When the EVO and STi rule the streets in the AWD sport compact market. And for the 23 to 25k a fully loaded AWD SR would cost new a person could buy a year old STi or EVO. I'm also quite sure Hyundai would like to keep the fuel economy in the 30 mpg range on regular unleaded. So from a price and marketing standpoint a AWD SR makers no sense to me.
Then why have they been hinting at a turbocharged Accent for quite some time?

Perhaps you're right or perhaps they figured since they are producing enough AWD 5 speeds for the Santa Fe as is, it wouldn't hurt to install and maybe even modifacation to be sent in order to be installed on some lucky Accents.

This can specific Accent, like the SVX, can also turn out to be sold in two tiers, an AWD and FWD version.

Making a turbocharged AWD hatchback inexpensively isn't as hard as you think, ever heard of the Daihatsu Storia x4?

You understand that this could be the ticket for most people to quit laughing at them just as how people stopped when Subaru introduced the WRX.

Whats wrong with a normally frugal car manufacturer getting sporty once in a while, Subaru did.

Last edited by Weebitob; 09-14-2005 at 03:32 PM.
Old 09-14-2005, 04:27 PM
SVXtra

Quote:
Then why have they been hinting at a turbocharged Accent for quite some time?

Because the Accent really needs more h.p. to stay competitive. What is the h.p. rating on the 05 Accent GT 110? The Corolla has a 170 hp option. The Cobalt a 210 hp option and the new Civic will have a 190 hp option. Even the Neon has a 230 hp option. Besides turbo charging and inter-cooling is a relatively easy,reliable and inexpensive way to greatly increase a given h.p. Especially from the standpoint of having the turbo system designed especially for a certain model of car. But designing, manufacturing, installing and providing a long term warranty on an AWD system for what is basically a sporty economy car is far more expensive and problematic. In my opinion. And you guy's all know what that is worth...

Last edited by SVXtra; 09-14-2005 at 09:42 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: