Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 02-01-2002, 12:25 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
One More Time!!!

Okay, I stopped by the tranny rebuilder's today. Told him what was happening. He said, bring her in any time next week. We'll put the pressure gauages on her and hook her up to the monitor to see if there are any codes to see what's going on. It's supposed to snow on Tuesday, so, I'm not taking her in before that (gotta check her out in the snow first ). So, I'll probably take her in on Wednesday. I suspect they'll keep her for a couple of days, so, I'm gonna be grouchy! Actually, with my history, I'll probably get her back at around 5 PM on April 4th -- just in time to head out for Reading III.

Concentrate all the "good thoughts" you can, in my direction next week. Hopefully, a simple brake band adjustment will cure the problem.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 02-01-2002, 12:58 PM
Lowered SVX

what is it doing?

you know it least yours isnt leaking oil......!!! are you sure it is not imagination related, sometimes i think i hear things but i dont.....you know what i mean?
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 02-01-2002, 01:19 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: what is it doing?

Quote:
Originally posted by 1994SubaruSVX
you know it least yours isnt leaking oil......!!! are you sure it is not imagination related, sometimes i think i hear things but i dont.....you know what i mean?
Unfortunately, the tach doesn't lie. It's the 2-3 shift flare I was experiencing just before they kept it for 24 days with a diagnosed faulty TPS.
Subaru Ambassador

Last edited by Aredubjay; 02-01-2002 at 01:47 PM.
Old 02-01-2002, 02:13 PM
Lowered SVX

seriously randy......

explain what you mean? 2-3 flare meaning that it will not shift, takes too long to shift, what?
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 02-01-2002, 03:21 PM
Green1995SVX

Re: what is it doing?

Quote:
I'm begining to think my bearing noise is a combination of my snow tires, and me thinking i should have my bearings going soon... Too much knowledge can always be a bad thing.
Old 02-01-2002, 03:41 PM

Registered SVX
Re: seriously randy......

Quote:
explain what you mean? 2-3 flare meaning that it will not shift, takes too long to shift, what?
Basically, it means "slippage." It's not enough slippage to keep your car from going forward, just enough to make the tach rev (or "flare") a few RPM's when you're shifting from gear 1 to gear 2. Interestingly enough, it only happens under load (If I'm trying to beat a car before it hits me when I'm pulling out from a stop sign, or, if I'm stop light racing).
Subaru Ambassador

Old 02-01-2002, 06:27 PM
svxeno

Re: Re: seriously randy......

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

2. Interestingly enough, it only happens under load (If I'm trying to beat a car before it hits me when I'm pulling out from a stop sign, or, if I'm stop light racing).

Randy i,

Odd how if I really put my foot in it, it grabs fine. My flare occurs tween 2 - 3 and under light acceleration. Wierd.

What would you recommend from experience. Should I try a rebuild of the existing tranny or pay $2840 for a reman tranny from Subaru dealer? 2 yr/36000 warranty.

Randy ii
Old 02-01-2002, 10:27 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Re: Re: seriously randy......

Quote:
Originally posted by svxeno

Randy i,

Odd how if I really put my foot in it, it grabs fine. My flare occurs tween 2 - 3 and under light acceleration. Wierd.

What would you recommend from experience. Should I try a rebuild of the existing tranny or pay $2840 for a reman tranny from Subaru dealer? 2 yr/36000 warranty.

Randy ii
No contest, there, Randy ii. If I'd been quoted 2,840 instead of 4,600, I'd have had the Suby reman in a heartbeat. But, you can see why had to take an alternate route. That, and the fact that the Vermont Meet was a week away and the dealership said it would be ten days before they could even get the trans in. So, go for the Suby Reman -- unless, of course, Beav has found out that Jasper has SVX remans and you have someone in FL to put it in. The Jasper trans would be guaranteed for 3 years.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 02-03-2002, 08:34 AM
svxeno

Re: Re: Re: Re: seriously randy......

Quote:

No contest, there, Randy ii. If I'd been quoted 2,840 instead of 4,600, I'd have had the Suby reman in a heartbeat. But, you can see why had to take an alternate route. That, and the fact that the Vermont Meet was a week away and the dealership said it would be ten days before they could even get the trans in. So, go for the Suby Reman -- unless, of course, Beav has found out that Jasper has SVX remans and you have someone in FL to put it in. The Jasper trans would be guaranteed for 3 years.
Origianl Randy,

Thanks for the advice. I only wish I had a way to get to Washington State. Now would be a great time for a 5 speed conv. (This is my first auto in 17 -18 years) Sigh...

If I can ask. what is a "Jasper"? Also what is the plastic dishwasher thingy you use to remove the buttons on the dash?

Randy (Currently driving his auto in manual) ii
Old 02-03-2002, 11:58 AM

Registered SVX
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: seriously randy......

Quote:

Origianl Randy,

Thanks for the advice. I only wish I had a way to get to Washington State. Now would be a great time for a 5 speed conv. (This is my first auto in 17 -18 years) Sigh...

If I can ask. what is a "Jasper"? Also what is the plastic dishwasher thingy you use to remove the buttons on the dash?

Randy (Currently driving his auto in manual) ii
Jasper is a world renowned engine builder/rebuilder based in Jasper, Indiana. They've been building racing engines for years and are a popular choice for replacement engines. I wasn't even aware that they had transmissions until Beave mentioned it.

The "pot scraper" that I use for removing my switches is a flat piece of plastic/nylon, about two inches square with rounded edges. My wife uses them to scrape food off her non stick pots 'n' pans. You can probably find them where the spatulas and other cooking accessories are, in your local grocery store or Wal-Mart. I've never had to buy one since my wife always has a few lying around.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 02-03-2002, 12:42 PM
svxeno

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: seriously randy......

Quote:

Jasper is a world renowned engine builder/rebuilder based in Jasper, Indiana. They've been building racing engines for years and are a popular choice for replacement engines. I wasn't even aware that they had transmissions until Beave mentioned it.

The "pot scraper" that I use for removing my switches is a flat piece of plastic/nylon, about two inches square with rounded edges. My wife uses them to scrape food off her non stick pots 'n' pans. You can probably find them where the spatulas and other cooking accessories are, in your local grocery store or Wal-Mart. I've never had to buy one since my wife always has a few lying around.
I just went to their site and they list nothing online for Subaru's. I'll call the number tomorrow to see what info I can obtain. "World Renowned"...sounds spensive.

I'll also PM Beav to see what he may know. Now, I guess I'm off to Walmart. Do you think it will be in utensiles or the automotive section.

Randy (Gonna scrub pots and fix car all in one shot!) ii
Old 02-03-2002, 06:59 PM

Quote:

Randy i,

Randy ii
I had the same problem with the 2-3 flare as well, I then disconnected the drop resistor behind the battery and have driven it that way for over 40k at first it would shift hard into 2nd but eventually stopped. I understand you wanting it to be perfect since you paid so much for your rebuild, but it's not worth having it rebuilt again.
The reason your trans isn't sluggish when on it is because the line pressure is increased drastically.
Old 02-03-2002, 07:07 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Quote:

Randy i,

Randy ii
I had this problem on my transmission with the 2 to 3 shift and it was the TPS. After I replaced it the problem went away. You may want to check out the TPS. You can find it in the how-to personal locker. It may be worth a try.

Last edited by svx_commuter; 02-03-2002 at 07:11 PM.
Old 02-03-2002, 07:12 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Ooops...sorry..

..I completely forgot to find out about Jasper tranny. We had a tech quit last week and my normally busy schedule just got enhanced. I haven't even had time to buy the car I was talking about a couple weeks ago.

Beav
Old 02-03-2002, 08:24 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: seriously randy......

Quote:
Originally posted by svx_commuter

I had this problem on my transmission with the 2 to 3 shift and it was the TPS. After I replaced it the problem went away. You may want to check out the TPS. You can find it in the how-to personal locker. It may be worth a try.
When you replaced the TPS, did you have to have it set to spec by a dealer or could you just remove and replace?