How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 01-31-2002, 03:52 PM
Amexeric

Exclamation SVX with some PROBLEMS!

Hello everyone. First time on the site, and looks great! Needed some help. I have some major problems with my SVX, and almost gave up and sold the darn thing, but I love it too much. I'm trying to save it.

Frist of all, the headlights are ugly. The plastic outer part of the headlamp assembly, which should be clear, is cloudy looking and dull with a yellowish green sh*t on it. How can I get rid of it?

Also, the passenger side window motor has quit working. How can I get the part for real cheap? Or can I use the motor from the rear small window for the front? (I never open the rear windows, so I'd rather have the front ones working).

I have some door dings that I've gotten from the years, and they are starting to make the car look very ugly. How can i get rid of them?

The interior light in the instrument cluster is out. In the dark, I drive w/o the instrument panel, and I don't know how fast I'm going. How can I get this to work?

I'm a newbie with cars, so if you guys can be very descriptive when you help with your posts, I would appreciate it very much.
Old 01-31-2002, 04:03 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: SVX with some PROBLEMS!

Quote:
Originally posted by Amexeric
Hello everyone. First time on the site, and looks great! Needed some help. I have some major problems with my SVX, and almost gave up and sold the darn thing, but I love it too much. I'm trying to save it.

Frist of all, the headlights are ugly. The plastic outer part of the headlamp assembly, which should be clear, is cloudy looking and dull with a yellowish green sh*t on it. How can I get rid of it?

Also, the passenger side window motor has quit working. How can I get the part for real cheap? Or can I use the motor from the rear small window for the front? (I never open the rear windows, so I'd rather have the front ones working).

I have some door dings that I've gotten from the years, and they are starting to make the car look very ugly. How can i get rid of them?

The interior light in the instrument cluster is out. In the dark, I drive w/o the instrument panel, and I don't know how fast I'm going. How can I get this to work?

I'm a newbie with cars, so if you guys can be very descriptive when you help with your posts, I would appreciate it very much.
Welcome to the Network. I'm sure you're gonna like it here. We're not only SVX fanatics, we're fun folks. Hang around and learn from real, certifiable NUTS!

First off -- there's a product called Novus. It's available at http://www.jcwhitney.com just use the search engine to search for it. Buy ALL THREE bottles of product (deep scratch remover, fine scratch remover, clean and shine). Follow the instructions on how to clean your plastic. If you have a buffer, that's even better.

Your best bet for a window motor is a "bone yard." I would think there would be a few in CA that would have one. If not, there are guys here that know of bone yards they can put you in touch with.

If you can find a reputable "Paintless Dent Repair" facility, who won't charge an arm and a leg, they'll take care of those dents and dings. Past that, you're looking at a body shop and a full repaint.

Can't help you with the bulb on the combination meter . . . yet. I haven't had to go there. Maybe someone else can help.

Again, welcome.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 01-31-2002, 04:35 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
For the bulbs, you have to remove the whole cluster. There are total of 7 screw on the outside then more on the inside. Remove all screws and slowly take out the cluster. I think there are 4 screws holding it in. You can take out the bulbs by twisting them off afterwards. If you need instructions with photos, I can take them sometime over the weekend (if I have not sold my car by then and on my way to pick up the other one).

Lwin

ps. it will take you about an hour or so if you have not done anything like this.
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:•2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 01-31-2002, 04:49 PM
sith

A note on PDR and door dings... I had great success with a local indepedent guy. I actually found out about him via a used car dealership - that might be a good place to start about finding PDR guys in your area. Used car lots do a lot of PDR since it's cheap and all.

Anyways, I got about 13 small to medium dents taken out of my passenger door for a total of $70 (or thereabouts), but the guy was unable to get two smallish ones towards the very front (ie, hing) of the door. He said the svx doors were so big, and the windows so small (the movable part that is), he had never seen a PDR tool long enough to make it possible to get to them. Anyways, just figured I'd offer my 150,000 shares of enron stock (thats right around two cents I think...)
Old 01-31-2002, 06:23 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

a bone yard?

I have bought parts form these guys in Glendale and they shipped to NJ Specialize in Subaru they do. 888-782-8781, World Auto Parts and Dismantling. How long have you had your car?
Old 01-31-2002, 10:21 PM
Betcha can't buy just one!
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to ensteele Send a message via Yahoo to ensteele Send a message via Skype™ to ensteele
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Power window

The power window motor might not be dead. There is a small plastic clip that holds the window to the power cable. If this clip brakes the window will not operate. I found that this problem is common to SVXs. You cannot buy just the clip from Subaru, you have tot buy the complete window regulator. I had a new clip machined from aluminum and the window has been fine ever since.

Good luck

Earl

Subaru Ambassador

[COLOR=”silver”]1992 Tri Color L[/COLOR] ~45K (06/91) #2430
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~184K (05/91) #0739
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
1992 Pearl LS-L ~103K (06/91) #1680
1992 Pearl LS-L ~151K (06/91) #2229
1992 Dark Teal LS ~150K (07/91) #3098 (parts car)
1992 White LS-L ~139K (08/92) #6913
1993 25th AE ~98K (02/93) #164
1993 25th AE ~58K (02/93) #176
1993 25th AE ~107K (02/93) #215
1993 25th AE ~162K (02/93) #223
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~124K (1/94) #2408
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~144K (10/93) #1484
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~68K (10/93) #1525
1994 Barcelona Red LSi ~46K (02/94) #2624
1994 Pearl LSi ~41K (12/93) #1961
1995 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~70K (02/95) #855
1996 Polo Green LSi ~95K (03/96) #872
1997 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~55K (08/96) #097
2003 Brilliant Red LS1 Convertible ~29K (04/03) #8951
1999 Magnetic Red LS1 Coupe ~33K (04/99) #6420

My Email | Old Locker | New Locker | Picture of 15 of the 19
Old 02-01-2002, 12:23 AM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via Yahoo to svxter
Re: Power window

Quote:
Originally posted by ensteele93
The power window motor might not be dead. There is a small plastic clip that holds the window to the power cable. If this clip brakes the window will not operate. I found that this problem is common to SVXs. You cannot buy just the clip from Subaru, you have tot buy the complete window regulator. I had a new clip machined from aluminum and the window has been fine ever since.

Good luck

Earl
No, you can buy just the clip. It's a little over $14.00. You do not have to buy the whole regulator assembly.
Red F-150 Extended Cab Long Bed - Big Boy

Even the best monkey sometimes drops his banana.
Old 02-01-2002, 08:35 AM
Lowered SVX

just reading this read and i am impressed.

way to come in and help this new guy. this advice is all great and all his questions have been answered. good job guys.
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 02-01-2002, 02:23 PM
Amexeric

Thanks

Hey guys, thanks for all your advice.

I am going to get some Novus for the headlamps, and I've called a paintless dent remover and got a great quote of $40 for the entire car (Only like 6 dings).

About the instrument panel light, I don't think it's the bulb. The car occasionally (once a month) has the light come on, and it goes off after about a couple minutes. I think it's the wiring.

Oh, and the sunvisors droop so much I've velcro'ed it to the roof. I hated doing it... but... I'm not so good mechanically.

Now the power window. I don't know how to get to it, and I don't know any good mechanics.

Any ideas?
Old 02-01-2002, 02:32 PM

Re: Thanks

Quote:

I am going to get some Novus for the headlamps, and I've called a paintless dent remover and got a great quote of $40 for the entire car (Only like 6 dings).

About the instrument panel light, I don't think it's the bulb. The car occasionally (once a month) has the light come on, and it goes off after about a couple minutes. I think it's the wiring.

Oh, and the sunvisors droop so much I've velcro'ed it to the roof. I hated doing it... but... I'm not so good mechanically.

Now the power window. I don't know how to get to it, and I don't know any good mechanics.

Any ideas?
If your car is in IL, I will check out the instrument panel lights for you.

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Old 02-01-2002, 03:08 PM
Amexeric

Thanks, but no

I am in California.
Old 02-01-2002, 06:36 PM
svxeno

Quote:

Any ideas?
To All,

I read somewhere about the (fine) wires to the sunvisors beaking and causing enough of a short to create electrical anomoly's. Think this might be involved with his dash light trouble?

Randy (Suffering from CRS) ii
Old 02-01-2002, 10:35 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by svxeno

To All,

I read somewhere about the (fine) wires to the sunvisors beaking and causing enough of a short to create electrical anomoly's. Think this might be involved with his dash light trouble?

Randy (Suffering from CRS) ii
Couldn't hurt to check. The short in those wires have done bizarre things, ranging from taking out your climate control, to shutting down the entire car.

Amex -- pop the "elbow" cover off the sun visor where the visor support meets the bracket. Use a small flat bladed screwdriver to look for stripped wiring in the channel there. Check both visors. If you find bare wiring, tape it up and see if this solves your problem. Good call, Randy iii.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 02-02-2002, 05:05 PM
svxeno

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

Couldn't hurt to check. The short in those wires have done bizarre things, ranging from taking out your climate control, to shutting down the entire car.

Amex -- pop the "elbow" cover off the sun visor where the visor support meets the bracket. Use a small flat bladed screwdriver to look for stripped wiring in the channel there. Check both visors. If you find bare wiring, tape it up and see if this solves your problem. Good call, Randy iii.

iii?

Randy (Confuzed) ii
Old 02-02-2002, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by svxeno

iii?

Randy (Confuzed) ii
Why don't we just call you two Number 1 and 2? Oh I see.. In that case, how about A and B?

Lwin