How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-22-2004, 05:49 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Nobody Send a message via MSN to Nobody
Side windows scratches

Hi guys, I have just noticed vertical scratches on all side windows. It seems there are some stones in gauge or someting in window holder is bad. Did anybody solved it? I know there is possibility to remove scratches from windows, any recommendations? Thanx a lot, Peter
Old 05-22-2004, 05:57 AM

I'm not sure on the part number diagram, you might search older posts as I remember some posts on the subject, but look at parts on this page (like #9, 16, 17)

http://www.subaruparts.com/diag/?mod...category=601-A

What you're looking for is the little wiper things that keep the glass off metal parts as it slides up and down.

If the scratches aren't too bad, you can remove them by polishing with a paste made from water and Bon Ami (find it in the supermarket cleanser section). It's what a pro glass shop guy used on my wife's car a couple of years ago.
Old 05-22-2004, 06:07 AM

Thanx a lot Lee, it is not too bad but can be noticed.
Peter
Old 05-29-2004, 04:00 AM
ex SVX owner - still keen tho

windows scratching

I had the same problem on my two 95 builds, I took them both to my dealer who said they couldn't get the small part any more but offerred to clean the guides for me..."they get filled with gunk..' after getting that done some of the smaller windscreen replacement guys over here offer a 'buffing' service for badly scratched glass..using a drill with a pad on it with a 'jewelers rouge type' polish buffed the scratches for about 15 mins [each]with constant fine mist spraying with water [keeps heat down from buffing and not to let dry when buffing] and reapplications of the polish...deep scratches ..if you can feel them with your finger nail runs over them generally won't buff out completely but depending on how bad they are you may be able to get a decent result... on slight scrathing the window looks perfect a slight trace can be seen when the window is wet/dirty [rain] as water beads along where the window has been buffed...heavier scaratches when window is clean you may see some lines in daylight..[one of my cars was quite bad..its not 100% ..it was obviously scratched ..now ..well I'd give it 80-90%..

The window guy also suggested as our cars [and others ] are prown to this ...when you wash your car ...with your finger pry open the rubber window seal [where the outer frame is passed by the seal ...either end] and with your soapy sponge follow behind your finger washing along the inside of the seal and the glass.....then when rinsing again open the seal running your finger along with the water behind rinse down and along inside the seal [not blast].. depending on how grubby they are you might be surprised as I was with dirty water that flushes back up [after the first go]...

I was very tentative about using the windows after realising how the scratching occurs etc. but now after having the guides cleaned and routine window/seal washing I use them regularly and so far so good several months later.

Dave

Last edited by grnSVX96; 05-29-2004 at 04:16 AM.
Old 05-29-2004, 04:50 AM

Thanx Dave, all these small inner parts can be still bough through SubaruParts.com. Cost couple of bucks. Mine are bad and can not be clean.
Thanx for reply and help.
Peter
Old 05-29-2004, 06:29 AM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX
How bad are they? I thought I needed new ones but I tried to clean them. The material gets panked down in one direction, if you scratch them in the opposite direction with a key or a pencil they will fluff back up like new.

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel
Old 05-29-2004, 12:13 PM

There are couple of deep ones on both sides but most of them are not so bad. For new windows I would spend a fortune:-) when windshield costs here 2kUSD...
Thanx, Peter