How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2004, 11:16 AM
Phil & Belha

I'm surprised that nobody has answered the original question...

RTFFAQ...

http://my.voyager.net/~tmclane/
Old 01-30-2004, 10:14 PM
JBnAR

Ok first question... Is that a driver controllable center diff knob i see in that pic??? If so YOU SUCK!!!!!!!!

Second question... how do you lock the car into all wheel??? Anyone who can tell me how to do that gets a cookie. lol
Old 01-30-2004, 10:23 PM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

I'm beginning to wonder if I should ask for first dibs when you get ready to head back to Oz.

Ya can if ya want randy... Infact I think that the President should get first dibs if he wants it So ya can take a look at it at Reading and tell me what ya think... I can bet that I probably won't break 100k miles before I sell it... It's still at 87k at the moment... I don't plan on driving anywhere for a while though... Only Reading and the Dragon meet... That's it this year... Might even get a little beater so I can just park the SVX again... I don't like driving it all the time... Don't really know why, I love it I just....... I don't know... Maybe it is because I think that the more time that I spend off the road the less chance that there is that some idiot will hit me and mess my car up.. I would probably go crazy if that happened so I'd much rather park it and just use it once a month or something.... Well if you are interested just let me know sometime .... Oh, it does have Mods on it... I know that is totally against everything that you believe in but it just can't be avoided... I swear that the mods are there for "go" and not "show"... Everything in the car is there to enhance the driving experience....

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 01-30-2004, 10:37 PM
JBnAR

Hey Green what size rubber you have on your car? i really want to go with 245's in the rear on 17's and 225's in the front , but i know that space is an issue.
Old 01-31-2004, 02:51 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Okay, I'll take dibs!

You're right. I have never modded, nor will I ever Mod an SVX -- still doesn't keep me from buying them that way.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 01-31-2004, 02:59 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
Originally posted by JBnAR
Hey Green what size rubber you have on your car? i really want to go with 245's in the rear on 17's and 225's in the front , but i know that space is an issue.
Danger, danger! Bad idea unless you want to wreck your transfer clutch. The only way you could do this is if you matched the ride height of the tires with different air pressure and then you will probably lose the traction advantage gained by the extra width.

I still wouldn't recommend it.
Old 01-31-2004, 10:50 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
mismatched tires

Quote:
Don't do it, any differance between the diameters of the front and rear tires, causes f/r clutch plate wear, and tire wear. The car has a very predictable handeling set-up, this could end badly.
Old 02-01-2004, 09:24 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to CigarJohnny
Quote:
Originally posted by b3lha
I'm surprised that nobody has answered the original question...

RTFFAQ...

http://my.voyager.net/~tmclane/
Quote:
Forced Power Mode and Shift Tricks

The 'throttle position sensor' or TPS is used by the ECU and TCU to read the throttle opening angle. The sensor reads from +5 volts closed to 0 volts at WOT. There is a direct connector between the ECU and TCU for the circuit. You could wire a switch into the line so you could switch the circuit off. As long as the circuit is off, the TCU will stay in power mode since the transmission will assume you instantaneously floored the accelerator (and are keeping it there).

For firmer shifts, you could also do the same thing from the TCU to 'duty control solenoid' A to remove the signal. This would force full line pressure into up shifts. For 4-wheel drive 'lockup', you can disable (switch off) duty solenoid 'C', this will lock the car in 4 WD (50/50). You could probably wire all of these circuits into a single switch (say under the accelerator pedal, or tied to the 'Manual switch"). This would be great for racing.
Does anyone have a diagram that would show what wires to tap into to install a power-mode switch? Same thing for the solenoid switches. This is something I've been planning to do to mine for some time and this spring I will do it. Hopefully before Reading as long as it eventually warms up one day.

I realise the dangers of the transfer lock and plan no real use for it but I love the thought of having control over it. How about installing a variable resistor switch to the duty solenoid to control transfer of power from 80/20 to 50/50? Seems easy enough as long as it would not interfere with proper functioning of the TCU itself.

-Johnny

Ebony Mica '92 LS 80K Oct 2002 - Dec 2004: Victim of theft. She served me well.

You can tell the lack of craftsmanship by the wrinkles in the duct tape.
Old 02-01-2004, 11:22 AM
svxeno

Regarding the duty solenoid

this looks like a great concept to me.

http://www.smallcar.com/svx/tsk.htm

If it effectively does what it says it will do, that would be great.

As for the power light, I adjusted (every so very slightly) my TPS so that it comes on with less "effort". When I say ever so slightly, I mean EVER SO SLIGHTLY.

Randy ii
Old 02-02-2004, 03:37 AM
Phil & Belha

Quote:
Ok first question... Is that a driver controllable center diff knob i see in that pic??? If so YOU SUCK!!!!!!!!
No. It's the adjuster for the electric headlamp leveling.

Quote:
Second question... how do you lock the car into all wheel??? Anyone who can tell me how to do that gets a cookie. lol
On a non-US car, you just insert a fuse. On a US car you have to do what it says in the FAQ.
Old 02-02-2004, 07:43 AM

Quote:
My tires are 225/40/18.... Probably When (and if) I need new tires before I sell it I will go with 235/40/18 or maybe even 245/40's... I'll have to measure the clearances... Shouldn't be a rubbing problem though with Porter's Koni/GroundControl suspension that's going on the car a little later on this year... The speedo is already off by 1.6 mph with the tires that I have on there now... It reads 1.6 slower than I am actually going at 60mph...

** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 02-02-2004, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Yea, Along with the other guys here, I would strongly reccomend not doing this!!!! There is a possibility that you will damage dtiveline parts and then before you know it you will have a VERY large bill on your hands.... Just stick with the same tiresize all around...

BTW... a tire that is 225/45/17 has a diameter of 25.0 inches... The 245/45/17 has a diameter of 25.7 inches.... that little diffrence would cause the front(225's) to do 808 revolutions in a mile while the rears(245's) would do 785 revolutions in a mile... Now if everything is connected together in the driveline and suppose to be moving at the same speed...... You see where I'm going right??? Use this tire size calculator in the future to help you out in deciding the right tire for you... That's what I used...

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Old 02-03-2004, 09:54 PM
JBnAR

Wow lots of replies. lol. Thanks for the input guys. i hadn't really considered the possibilty of driveline damage. I'm still not quite used the to the all wheel drive thing. this is my first all wheel car. I have a prob though. lately my car hasn't been wanting to lock into all wheel unless its in power mode which it hardly ever goes into. This is great for big smokey front wheel burnouts but somewhat disconcerting when you realize you just did a big smokey front wheel burn out in an all wheel drive car. I'm also getting a lot of rear end noise Im afraid the two things may be related. Any ideas on what might have happened?
Old 02-03-2004, 10:21 PM
Paxton71

No AWD, Ideas in order of my best guesses

Hope it isn't what I have.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...threadid=16163

It could be:
1 worn out transfer clutches
2 What I have (broken transfer hub)
3 duty sol. C failure. (but it would probably throw a code)
4 broken rear diff.

Good luck. P.S. drop me a note when you go to tear it down. If you want to hear about my experiences. Mr.Pockets has some great posts on duty sol. C too.

-Pax
Old 02-13-2004, 09:34 PM
JBnAR

Unhappy

Well i'm getting a code now... and my abs light is on.. AND i think my tranny is going out i ran 5000 rpm at 70 mph halfway to work today. It's overrevving shifting into second and third and then once it's in third it doesn't pull until 5000 rpm or higher, like it has a 5000 rpm stall converter and in 4th it just acts like its slipping. Maybe i will do that 5 spd conversion a little (or a lot) sooner than i planned. Any ideas on the tranny probs please let me know. If i don't reply in the next month it means i went to jail for kicking the *ss of the guy who sold me the car. "... yeah it's in great condition. Runs great!" GRRRR