How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 07-10-2003, 02:08 AM
SVXdriver_007

who are the MAC fans?

this is pretty funny. I can't really say that windows is a whole lot different from the things this guy is talking about but its funny none the less.

I eat up 56k for fun
Old 07-10-2003, 04:37 PM
Either committed, or should be

Send a message via ICQ to thumper_svx Send a message via Yahoo to thumper_svx
Registered SVX
Hmm... define irony:

... posting a video about Macs, targetted at Mac users... in WMV format which Macs don't play (at least mine doesn't).

I'll probably check it out later when I hook up my laptop

My Rides:
Red 1996 SVX LSi (Saffron)
2007 Yamaha FJR1300 (Kaitlin)

Previously owned; green '95 L AWD (sold), black/pearlie '94 LSi (too many problems), Polo Green '96 SVX LSi (apparently notThe end of an era)

Member #2 in the Yahoo! club, been here since the beta-testing days. In dire need of a cheaper hobby.
Old 07-10-2003, 04:44 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
They do if you have WMV on your mac. :P

- Rob
Old 07-10-2003, 06:06 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

You know what I find even more hilarious?

Any computer running windows.

Bhahahahahah! Ahhh the joys of trouble shooting, spending way to much time installing, trying to get things to work, and the constant threat of viruses.

Now where's my mac? :P

- Rob
Old 07-10-2003, 07:23 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Uh, no. Macs are the ones who started hotline, we can do FTP, we can do basically anything PCs can do.

And yes, PCs have ACID PRO, I'll admit that...but other than that... all the major audio programs on the mac.

BT uses a Mac. So does Moby. So do a lot of other musicians. Nuff said.

- Rob

PS: I use a mac because it doesn't f*ck up like a PC does.

PPS: In my 8+ years of file swapping on a mac, I've never even HAD a virus. Ever. Did I mention I have about 40 gigs of 'trial' software and even more MP3s?
Old 07-10-2003, 07:51 PM

Send a message via AIM to Reaper450128
I am not a Mac user, but I can appreciate them from a technical standpoint. No question, their processor architecture is superior to that of PCs. The G5 really is going to be an amazing piece of hardware, all shfity benchmarks and odd memory lapses about the existance of 64-bit AMD processors already shipping in nearly identical configurations to the high-end G5 systems aside. My only gripe is a lack of support for the type of software I use, games. There is no question games come out more often, earlier, and are more supported by the developers on PCs than they do on Macs.

Macs have their place, and its really more in the professional market and the computer newbie markets, IMHO. They certainly are simpler to use (at least they were the last time I used them, which was a long time ago) making them ideal for people who have difficulty identifying the power plug, and there is quite a bit of video, audio, CAD/CAM, etc software availiable for them that really isn't quite as good on PC.

I think there will come a day when the differences are neglible, but that day will come when Windows has been superceded by some form of UNIX. Apple made a good decision by moving to a UNIX core for their recent operating systems, it will mean a boost in support both for the UNIX derivatives market and the Mac market alike, but it will take some time before the fortress that is Microsoft crumbles in the face of what has long had potential to be a far superior OS. Even now, I don't trust Windows for anything critical in my network (my web/email/NAT/ftp/dns/dhcp/etc server is a Linux box, and I'm toying with moving to FreeBSD, but it will never see any form of Windows on it again), its simply not robust enough or efficient enough for that IMHO.

Hope I didn't lose too many people with tech talk there

Almost forgot: Despite my years of P2P file sharing networks (don't know how many GBs exactly, but I think 40GB is probably on the small side of it, all of that was mp3s, full size 'trials', and ... uh ... lets call it stuff, all the things normally associated with a danger of viruses), I think only once have I found a virus in a file from there, and that was fairly recent (and caught before the file was even done downloading). In my entire time using PCs, I think I might have found all of 3-5 viruses, and none of them were able to do any damage before they were snagged by my virus scanner. Its not really something I worry about.

Last edited by Reaper450128; 07-10-2003 at 08:25 PM.
Old 07-10-2003, 08:11 PM

Registered SVX
Oldest must be the wisest ! I run a MAC, so there you PC plonks !!

*<)

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 07-10-2003, 08:37 PM
SVXdriver_007

allright now this wasn't supposed to turn into a geak war over weather PC are better than MAc or weather UNIX will eventually take over. I mean if you want to go crazy you could say VMS is going to take back over I can't think of anything more stable but whatever.
Seriuosly though that was just an amusing file that could relate to any OS or any problem that any person who has used any PC has gone through at least once. Windows, MAC, Unix.....please take it at face value.
Old 07-10-2003, 08:56 PM
SVXdriver_007

Quote:
Originally posted by DavieGravy

What's that? You old folk can use computers? Oh wow!

he probably meant MAC the robot computer that helps you learn to spell and plays a few games maybe has a tape deck on his chest.
Old 07-11-2003, 05:58 PM
Superbeast

I was confused as hell till I read that last post, now I'm just LMAO.
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 07-11-2003, 06:06 PM
SVXdriver_007

Quote:
Originally posted by Subafreak
I was confused as hell till I read that last post, now I'm just LMAO.
its a computer geek thing you wouldn't understand.
Old 07-11-2003, 06:09 PM
Superbeast

Ya i'm still trying to figure out that musicbox thing.
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 07-11-2003, 06:10 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

"Got my first mac in november, a 1ghz ti-book. I was always into computers, but I never had a passion for it like I do with my mac. It's the best computer I've ever used, period. It's just so frustrating that more people don't use them because it truly is the best computing experience possible.

What kills me is that misconceptions are everywhere. People always assume it's good for graphics, if they even think it's good for anything. I try to tell people that it's the best computer for consumers AND professionals. Ease of use doesn't mean that only stupid people who can't figure out pc's use macs, it means that anyone who wants to do something faster and better will use a mac.

I think most peoples' problems with the mac stem from the same place mine did not long ago.... The only macs they've used are in school and/or work, and they use older systems. Not only do they feel slower, but OS 9 doesn't really cut it. I would not have 'switched' if it wasn't for 10.2. There are so many 'cool' and useful things you can do. Apple seems to think of almost everything (expose anyone?).

Lastly, the software is so good that it actually makes me want to go out and buy accessories. I have a digital camera, but no ipod or dv camera. But because the software is so easy to use and does such a good job, I want to be able to use it. As an avid iphoto user I would say that using os x without a digital camera is a shame.

The reason I love macs is because is more than just a computer. It's so elegant and so simple and is an absolute joy to use. It's turned 'just a computer' into a hobby and an avid interest. It's just so frustrating that so many people are out there that don't know what they're missing.

sorry for the rant... I just feel that if more people used macs the computing world would be a better place."

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=167789
Old 07-11-2003, 09:01 PM
SVXdriver_007

Quote:
Originally posted by Subafreak
Ya i'm still trying to figure out that musicbox thing.
the music match? scrap that $hit and just use windows media player 9. or borrow trevors MAC and go back to playing tapes
Old 07-11-2003, 09:05 PM
SVXdriver_007

Quote:
Originally posted by Chicane
"Got my first mac in november, a 1ghz ti-book. I was always into computers, but I never had a passion for it like I do with my mac. It's the best computer I've ever used, period. It's just so frustrating that more people don't use them because it truly is the best computing experience possible.

What kills me is that misconceptions are everywhere. People always assume it's good for graphics, if they even think it's good for anything. I try to tell people that it's the best computer for consumers AND professionals. Ease of use doesn't mean that only stupid people who can't figure out pc's use macs, it means that anyone who wants to do something faster and better will use a mac.

I think most peoples' problems with the mac stem from the same place mine did not long ago.... The only macs they've used are in school and/or work, and they use older systems. Not only do they feel slower, but OS 9 doesn't really cut it. I would not have 'switched' if it wasn't for 10.2. There are so many 'cool' and useful things you can do. Apple seems to think of almost everything (expose anyone?).

Lastly, the software is so good that it actually makes me want to go out and buy accessories. I have a digital camera, but no ipod or dv camera. But because the software is so easy to use and does such a good job, I want to be able to use it. As an avid iphoto user I would say that using os x without a digital camera is a shame.

The reason I love macs is because is more than just a computer. It's so elegant and so simple and is an absolute joy to use. It's turned 'just a computer' into a hobby and an avid interest. It's just so frustrating that so many people are out there that don't know what they're missing.

sorry for the rant... I just feel that if more people used macs the computing world would be a better place."

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=167789

uhmmm ok. Listen rob I wasn't trying to attack MAC (HA! I'm a poet) I just stumbled across the video and found it to be funny. thats all! Replace mac with windows and it would have been just as funny as far as I'm concerned.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: