How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2003, 07:54 AM
Scottsubarus

Make more!!! earn some vacation money OR use income from the DVD's for future repairs or mods. But do make more and sell here. Put my name on the list.

Scott
Omaha
SAShaeffer@hotmail.com
Old 04-27-2003, 11:14 AM
Is it Summer yet?

Quote:
Originally posted by John19688

Earthworm,

If you want to get technical, I am breaking copyright laws. But it's not like I'm selling copies of "The Phantom Menace" and taking money out of the pockets of the original producers of these tapes. These are videos that were never sold in the first place.

As far as profits go, add up the cost of the DVD ($2.50 not <$1), shipping, shipping materials, DVD case, printed DVD insert, printed DVD label, eBay listing fee and you've got $9.75. Add to that the cost of the videos, the cost of the DVD burning software, the cost of the video trimming application I had to buy and that comes to $223. Add to that the time I've spent creating it (over 20 hours) and the time it takes to burn, print, label each DVD, and drive to the post office and you get me still LOSING MONEY if I sell 20 DVDs at $22.

I will probably not make a profit on this and I am offended that you so quickly jumped to the conclusion that I am "making a lot of money". So far I yet to see a profit on the SVX models I had made; so far I have yet to see a profit on the original vinyl Subaru-SVX.net decals for this site; so far I have yet to see a profit on the SVX reproduction hats; and so far I have yet to see a profit on the SVX DVDs.

This was just an idea I've had since August when I got my new computer that was capable of burning DVDs. I thought the SVX community would appreciate it. I realize that these accusations are probably not representative of the majority of members here but this type of response is very discouraging at a time when I'm considering getting back into the SVX scene.

PS: Because of this I've just decided to scrap my plans for a line of SVX salad dressings.
John, Welcome back. I think the only time we met was at the Smokies meet when your die cast model was in competition with the Spam model.
Sorry things didn't turn out with the models. That must've been quite an undertaking.
Welcome back to the fold.
06 Chevy Malibu 71K
13 Outback 0K
Old 04-27-2003, 11:27 PM
Puma92SVX

It seems all the videos you have posted for sale on Ebay have been bought. Will you be posting more through Ebay? If not can I just send you the money through PayPal and give you an address for shipping? I'd really like one of these videos. So please, let's work something out.
Old 04-28-2003, 04:06 AM
Countess

Ooooooh ooooh I wanna DVD tooo .... I know it will work in my Aussie DVD, I get US stuff all the time, and I work for a store that repair them *evil grin* so, needless to say it is hacked and I can play whatever I want !!!

Anyways, I am going to go to ebay now and spend 1/3 of this week's pay on that model I can paint purple !!! I can finally have a purple car *drewl* I love you for making me a model of my new toy !!!

Thank you!!!

Old 04-28-2003, 06:19 AM
John19688

More DVDs Coming

MORE DVDS COMING ON TUESDAY AND IN THE FUTURE
I will be posting more DVDs for sale on eBay on Tuesday. I want to be careful and make sure sales do not outstrip my supply. It takes an hour to make each DVD and there's only so many non-working, non-sleeping, non-other activitiy hours in the day. I can only produce about 5-7 DVDs a day.

MORE INFORMATION ON THE DVDS
The DVD is shipped in the same type of case you get your movie DVDs in. And the case insert has been modeled after the video box the SVX Technical Training videos came in so it looks like Subaru made the DVD. Take a look at the case design:

I created chapters for each of the videos on the DVD. You can use your remote to jump ahead to the section you want to watch. There is an insert in the inside of the case that has a "Scene Selection" index so you'll know exactly which chapter you want to go to.
Old 04-28-2003, 07:20 AM
Scottsubarus

Can you just sell direct? so we/I don't have to hassle with E-bay?
Old 04-28-2003, 07:41 AM
Green1995SVX

Wow, John. That is so cool!!!!

Mike
Old 04-28-2003, 09:44 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Let me just say, by way of endorsement (not that he needs it), that everything (AND I MEAN EVERYTHING ) That John Rowe has done in all SVX-dom has been high class, first rate "shizznit" . John does it right, or not at all.

It is certainly good to see you back in the fold, John. I'll wait and order my DVD when everyone else has had a chance, and you've become a little less busy. Thank you again for offering your time and exemplary talents to the SVX community.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 04-28-2003, 07:59 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to vzSvx
WOW! The case design looks cool, John. Great job! You shipped mine today, so hopefully, I'll receive it sometime this week. Thanks a lot, John.

"Striving for excellence motivates you. Striving for perfection is demoralizing.".
Old 04-28-2003, 08:01 PM
Scottsubarus

pouting here in Omaha because can't just buy one............
Old 04-29-2003, 02:45 PM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX
Welcome back John! Good to see you around here again. Your site is still the best place for general SVX information and pictures, I have it linked to my NW member site for those that don't know what the car is.

Thanks again for making such high quality SVX merchandise for us!

1992 SVX LSL "Serenity" 250,000 miles!

I don't care, I'm still free, You can't take the sky from me...
Old 04-29-2003, 03:13 PM
StaceyVX

Lightbulb look what i just found

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...&category=6762

Here's another one if someone didn't post it already.
Old 05-02-2003, 08:10 AM

Re: got one!

Quote:
Originally posted by seasvx
Thx for the dvd opportunity, John, I'll be watching my mailbox!
John, the DVD arrived yesterday and we spent the evening watching it on the home theater. I am very impressed, many thanks for doing a first class job, not only the recording itself but the packaging and the disc art as well! I had none of the svx video tapes and to be able to have five of them compiled on a DVD is a very welcome addition to my collection of svx stuff. (I have to admit, watching the first sales promotion vid made me want to go out and buy an svx, even though I have one in the garage!)
Old 05-02-2003, 08:59 AM
JLittell

Excellent job on the DVD!!
Old 05-02-2003, 10:25 AM

I just ordered mine. 3 more left.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...&category=6762

Matt
98 Outback 180k
98 Dodge Durango 120k Ski Bus
A multitude of skis to feed my need to go faster, faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.