Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 01-06-2003, 02:33 PM
Green1995SVX

I feel I must offer my opinions and expierances on this subject.

I am just shy of 21 years old, and have had my SVX since I was 18. My first car was a 1986 Chevy Cavalier Z24, which I still own. From my own expierance, if I had my SVX as a first car, one of these things would have happened:

A. I would have destroyed the car mechanically.
B. I would have destroyed the car physically (crash etc.)
C. I would have destroyed the car physically, and killed myself. (the most likely of the three.)

I am very VERY glad my parents chose to not allow me to have a 'fast' car like the SVX when I first got my license.

This is what I recommend: Get a cheap, reliable, slow car, such as the older 'land yachts' like Ca$h mentioned. Have fun beating the crap out of that car, then in a couple years, invest in an SVX.

I consider myself to be truely lucky in that I was able to purchase my dream car when I was only 18 years old. I'm glad it wasnt any earlier though.

Best of luck,

Mike
Old 01-06-2003, 02:34 PM
Green1995SVX

Oh, and for the record, I've never been in a car accident.

Mike
Old 01-06-2003, 02:47 PM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim
It also depends as well. The SVX is my first car, but I got it for less than a month. I just got my license but it depends on your personality. If your a responsible person and can afford to take care of it and baby the car, by all means go ahead. You will have one of the best cars ever made, as long as you can afford to pay for the maintenence.

The extra power the car has is always good for emergency situations if you really need to move out of the way. But the car wasn't meant to be treated like a Nascar. You cant abuse the motor consistently or you will face major problems in the long run, plus you also risk running into people. It would be a waste for an irresponsible person to get their hands on one of these. The All wheel drive will really help you out when it snows or rains but it still does nothing when it comes to ice. And you'll still lose control if you go super fast like those 4WD SUV's blasting down the highway. The car does not anger or upset easily, but if you really push the car to its limits you'd be sorry.

I think of the car as an all in one car. Its sporty and its looks are the most distinct. Its got full leather and suede, and no other car has suede other than I think Busta Rhymes, I was watching an MTV Cribs special where he showed his lamborghini with custom suede. Its designed to be a winter car with AWD and power heated mirrors as well as front/rear wipers. Just all the stuff you get in one car is phenomenal, I'm never going to give up this car. Just be responsible
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 01-06-2003, 03:05 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Green1995SVX
Oh, and for the record, I've never been in a car accident.

Mike
Which is not to be confused with having an "accident" IN the car.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 01-06-2003, 04:34 PM
Green1995SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

Which is not to be confused with having an "accident" IN the car.
Yeah, i cant say i havent been there!!!!

Mike
Old 01-06-2003, 04:45 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Trying not to scare you or anything but my first SVX ran me more than 10,000 (no it is not a typo) dollars in repairs and I got the car for 4800. That included trannies, tires, pads, rotors, bearings. That figure did not include regular oil changes and another 100 I spent on spark plugs.

My second SVX was great. I sold it though. Why? Did not like the colour. NO unneccessary cost what so ever!!!

My thrid one is still there. Just killed a fuse and let loose a grimlin. Got to find it. This is my project SVX. I will get another one one of these days. This one ran me about 2000 in repair bills so far. Got it for 2500.

So make sure you get one that is well taken care of if you are getting one. If the car was beaten up you will have a money pit. I kid you not.

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 01-07-2003, 06:55 AM
Poor College Racer

Send a message via AIM to drivemusicnow
I think the SVX is the PERFECT car... first car or not. It is my first car but its not my only one. My SVX is the one i pay repair bills, car payments (to my parents) and gas for. I pay half of the insurance on both cars. The other car is a 1991 Poniac Transport(yes yes, a mini-van) this is the car I drive to school and any place where there are crappy teenage drivers(i'm 16) I got the car about a month after I recieved my license. I think it depends on who you are, whether it will be a good car or not. I mean if you want something fast, the SVX is maybe not quite what you should get.... go get a camaro like all the other teens that think they want to go fast.

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
90 Red Eclipse GSX track ho
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker