Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2011, 09:23 AM
Hater

Re: Fully Carbonfiberized & Alcantra Interior

i'm not crazy about carbon fiber everywhere, but that is SOOOOOOO much better than plastic wood! excellent job.

i'd prefer a nice silver look, but the climate controls make painting the stock stuff almost impossible. how are you going to deal with that?

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 06-06-2011, 11:15 AM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX

I'm not overly crazy about the CF everywhere either, and can't help but wonder what OP plans to do about parts like the door-sills as they inevitably get scratched up with use? I noticed the plastic wrap on those parts, and it would seem even just sweeping the door open/closed would brush them with weatherstripping. The dash treatment is very nice!

Glenn

1993 25th Anniversary Edition #63 of 301. R.I.P. Rojo 7/24/2008 She saved my life!
1997 Ebony Mica Pearl LSI. BLACKBERRY
1998 5-Spd Legacy GT Wagon in Glacier White: NUBURU
2005 Cadillac STS in Sandstorm Metallic: STORMY

Veteran and farthest traveler of 1st SoCal2MuseumsMeet2010.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?RojoRocket
Old 06-06-2011, 12:59 PM
Dayton-Dave

Registered SVX
Nice job indeed....WOW!!

I have a friend doing that on his older mustang.....lots of trial and error for him. Yours looks better than his.
Dave
Old 06-07-2011, 10:38 AM

Gents
Thanks once again. Have not got much time on the ride lately, the climate control face has been painted to semi glossy black with the letters re-etched, the illumination works fine, I had this done by a local professional shop that has been around interior restoration for decades with great know how on restoring nearly any interior pieces. they also did all the alcantra, dash, door card painting for me. They just look original without any plasticky feel at all.

The sills could be prone to scratches, not easily by the weatherstrip fur sure as the coating is quite a good grade. But, I treat it like an exotic weekend car and rarely lay my feet on the sills at all..

The carbon fiber work is done by an individual who just enjoys working on hand crafting cf components. He is just as crazy as me to even willing to try wrap over anything. Imagine even the visor screw cover, rear view mirror cover, passenger hand grip screw covers all wrapped as well....

The only plastic remaining raw is the shifter plate as I aplan to do a 6 spd swap and that piece will be wrapped after necessary modification to the plate is done.

Also working on setting up the "AIM" racing dash display to replace the out dated traditional analog odometer displays.. More to come...
Old 06-09-2011, 11:04 PM

a close up picture of the climate control face for your viewing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1235.JPG (88.3 KB, 285 views)
Old 06-10-2011, 07:24 AM
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Freeman
Registered SVX

That doesn't look bad at all. I really would like it with the cf on it but that's a good solution.
1992 Pearl White LS-L "Ruslana" #4946 - 180k on body, 95k on engine.
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
†"War doesn't determine who is right, only who is left"†
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 08-15-2011, 10:22 PM

did you put the alcantara over the old one or did u rip the old one out and put the new one?
Old 08-18-2011, 03:28 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Johnybeas Send a message via MSN to Johnybeas Send a message via Yahoo to Johnybeas Send a message via Skype™ to Johnybeas
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by briansvx View Post
Gents
Thanks once again. Have not got much time on the ride lately, the climate control face has been painted to semi glossy black with the letters re-etched, the illumination works fine, I had this done by a local professional shop t...
I'd be interested in the method they used to keep the place of the letters etc and what was used to etch it. I am thinking of doing all of mine in a nice quality gloss black and perhaps doing a metal flake or pearl paint. I wonder if it would be possible to make cast aluminum version of the door sill guards and have them powder coated
Old 08-18-2011, 06:28 AM
Posting since Dec.'98
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnybeas View Post
I wonder if it would be possible to make cast aluminum version of the door sill guards and have them powder coated
Anything is possible if you have the $$$. I'd go for lighted sill guards a la Jaguar. Only $500.00 plus installation.

g
ART Cryogenic/Slotted Rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, PWR Radiator, Tranny cooler, Stebro, Earthworm's Poly Differential/front & rear swaybar bushings, Koni Inserts and Mychailo SVX Sport Springs all 4 corners, Indigo Blue paint. Liquid Silver Wheels.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:33 AM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVX_MY_BABY View Post
Anything is possible if you have the $$$. I'd go for lighted sill guards a la Jaguar. Only $500.00 plus installation.

g
Seriously??? Something like that essentially would be fairly easy and cheap to do in the SVX. The only issue would be where to light up since the door sills are obviously very different.
Only thing is that it would probably end up looking pretty ricey in the SVX

*the "Seriously???" part was in reference to the $500 charge for that, not that it actually looked ricey or doing it to an SVX or anything like that.

Last edited by 1986nate; 08-18-2011 at 06:59 AM.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:53 AM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX

I think it would be easy enough to pull off, and not look too bad. Aluminum door sills, machine out the SVX logo, put frosted lexan behind it and an LED pack behind that... Wire it into the door light so it only illuminates with the doors open... You'd have to cut a pocket into the body of the car to fit the light, and splice into the door's wiring... I don't think it would be hugely challenging. And with some dim blue lighting could look very nice. Nothing bright or garrish.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 08-24-2011, 07:03 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Johnybeas Send a message via MSN to Johnybeas Send a message via Yahoo to Johnybeas Send a message via Skype™ to Johnybeas
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot View Post
I think it would be easy enough to pull off, and not look too bad. Aluminum door sills, machine out the SVX logo, put frosted lexan behind it and an LED pack behind that... Wire it into the door light so it only illuminates with the doors open... You'd have to cut a pocket into the body of the car to fit the light, and splice into the door's wiring... I don't think it would be hugely challenging. And with some dim blue lighting could look very nice. Nothing bright or garrish.
This was essentially what I was thinking of doing but painting or coating the aluminum to match the body color. I was also thinking of a non lit version with embossed svx logo
Old 09-09-2011, 07:17 AM

Now this is jaw dropping awesome look. I love the black alcantra. Good to know they can be recovered. perhaps I missed a few pics but I am interested in the seats. heated and vented.. this is truly a professional job that you have put a lot of love into. As for the lighted door sills.. Yeah I think it would look pretty good to be honest and some colored ambient lighting.. Just a touch.. they really should have offered black alcantra looks really nice.

SVX1999