Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2010, 08:43 PM

Send a message via AIM to SVXMAN2001
Maintaining 92 a/c system

I have noticed an increased amount of threads regarding a/c issues on the forums as of late, understandable considering we all are experiencing much warmer weather. Having said that, my 92 svx like many others is lacking a/c, the aforementioned heat mades a/c practically a necessity. So begins my next project, fixing my lack of a/c issue...

I have had the car for 9 years now, and have not had a/c in it this entire time. Went to Mineke a few years back, they retrofitted the r12 to a r134a system and the system worked pathetically for a week and eventually went back to blowing hot air.

There is certainly a leak somewhere in the system. Rather than troubleshoot I am going to try and replace the major components of the a/c system (all o-rings, compressor, condensor, trinary switch, low/high pressure hoses).

I would like to go back to r12...is this possible? I did a quick search of available parts on subaruparts.com, and they had only 96 parts available (no a/c parts for a 92). These parts all pertained to a r134 system. Are these 134 parts for the newer svx's compatiable with the older 92 parts? Will I be able to run r12 using high/low pressure hoses apparently intended for a 134 system?

Wanted to get some insight before I went ahead and started purchasing incompatiable parts.

Reason I am wanting to stay with r12 is because i've heard that has better cooling capabilities and i already have two cans readily accessible.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:51 PM
SVX Addict

Send a message via MSN to BRADY Send a message via Skype™ to BRADY
Registered SVX
Re: Maintaining 92 a/c system

Well spotted.

I am watching this thread with a microscope to find the answer, as no sooner had I switched to r134a my a/c crapped out.

Mike
1992 SVX Mica Red/Black (Ruby Pearl) (ADM)- 290,000 kms. With Koni adjustable front shocks, THRICE o/hauled 4EAT with transmission cooler and now the 'QUICK CHANGE' unit, custom PWR aluminium radiator, replacement water pump, fuel pump, crank pulley, Pioneer 6 x 9 rear and 6 inch front speakers, Sony Head unit, rattles from the front end and steering, front DBA slotted rotors. Blown heater core, ruined CV joints, new car park damage. FOR SALE... www.thebeatleboys.com
Old 06-16-2010, 05:18 AM

My cars have been running r134a for years. We've had a run of 90+, high humidity days here, and both cars are cool and comfortable. I've never been without AC for more than a day, and that was due to an error my mechanic made right for free. Both cars now have aftermarket, remanufactured compressors.

Based on this experience, I believe any AC "conversion" that soon craps-out or cools inadequately is suffering from some problem having nothing to do with the refrigerant used.

dcb
Old 06-16-2010, 06:55 AM
Posting since Dec.'98
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Three things.

My 92 was converted to R134 10 or 11 years ago at the dealer and until this year has had ice cold flow. I think your problem is not with the gas but the repair.

More interestingly the mechanic who works on my car just told me that there is a new gas being introduced to replace R134. It runs at extremely high pressure and is environmentally virtually inert. I don't know the name for this new stuff but you may want to check it out if you're going to replace the whole system anyway.

Lastly as I mentioned in another thread I used R12a in my PT and it has worked fine. nice and cool cheap and easily available plus environmentally safe.
ART Cryogenic/Slotted Rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, PWR Radiator, Tranny cooler, Stebro, Earthworm's Poly Differential/front & rear swaybar bushings, Koni Inserts and Mychailo SVX Sport Springs all 4 corners, Indigo Blue paint. Liquid Silver Wheels.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:43 AM

it seems that most of the time it's the orings that are the problem as they are different r12/134. their are a few to replace.
I laught cuz you're all the same."
Old 06-16-2010, 08:45 AM

Registered SVX

I would just keep the freon. r132 and r134 are only around because DuPont was about to lose the patent (originally patented in the 40's and renewed in the 60's with a revised version of freon). They published an article on Ozone depletion and to "support" the environment they came up with r132 and r134. Just a business scam, nothing else. Freon works better, IMHO, and it is probably about as bad for the Ozone as flatulence.

'92 Ls-L Dark Teal
11:1 CR ECUTUNE pistons
ECUTUNE .256 duration intake/exhaust cams
ECUTUNE STAGE 2AV1 ECU
Z32 MAF/SR20DET injectors
Balanced & Blueprinted
Old 06-16-2010, 09:59 AM
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Freeman
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarrb View Post
My cars have been running r134a for years. We've had a run of 90+, high humidity days here, and both cars are cool and comfortable. I've never been without AC for more than a day, and that was due to an error my mechanic made right for free. Both cars now have aftermarket, remanufactured compressors.

Based on this experience, I believe any AC "conversion" that soon craps-out or cools inadequately is suffering from some problem having nothing to do with the refrigerant used.

dcb
Aftermarket compressors? Where did you get them? How much were they? Can I buy one?
1992 Pearl White LS-L "Ruslana" #4946 - 180k on body, 95k on engine.
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
†"War doesn't determine who is right, only who is left"†
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 06-16-2010, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman View Post
Aftermarket compressors? Where did you get them? How much were they? Can I buy one?
Here's one example. This brand is in my silver SVX now:

http://www.partstrain.com/store/deta...RMS191113.html

dcb

EDIT / DISCLAIMER: I have had no dealings with PartsTrain.com, found via a quick Google search. Buyer beware.

An HRM reman compressor (as linked above) was installed in my silver SVX in December 2007, @ 160,000 miles, at which time the refrigerant was changed to R134a. The system has required no service since.

Last edited by dcarrb; 06-17-2010 at 04:57 AM.