How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 02-13-2010, 07:20 AM

Registered SVX
When used cars are more ecofriendly than a new car

All the cash for clunkers program and other programs to sell new cars, are rotating around the idea of taking care of nature and environment, but take a look at this interesting analysis of the facts:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...re-ecofriendly
70' Olds Toronado
98' Renault Chamade
82' Honda Prelude
79' Honda Accord awaiting restomod.
69' Mustang Hardtop
67' Jeep Ford Willys awaiting restoration.
67' IKA Torino Coupe
74' Renault Torino Coupe
Old 02-13-2010, 07:53 AM
Hater

Re: When used cars are more ecofriendly than a new car

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 02-15-2010, 03:31 PM
Now with more color

Send a message via Yahoo to subi-crosser
Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark View Post

In the range of '72-74' I had 2 cars that got over 25 mpg!
One was a 1964 Buick Special station wagon and the other was a 64 Rambler. BOTH cars would bury the speedometer at will...Both had V-8 engines and automatic trans. Buick had a Powerglide, 2 sp and the Rambler had a Chrysler 727.
Buick had a 310 Wildcat V-8, Rambler had a 287 Packard engine.

Now, IF a car that weighed over 3,000# got 25 MPG with 1964 tech, WHY are we not getting 50 MPG with #4,000. cars NOW??

MONEY!! Money for oil companies, money for government, money for whatever special interest group that will GAIN by our loss.

WE are being SCREWED by all the above!!

IF you never got 25 mpg and could BURY the speedo on a sled, you will not understand my thinking!
I actually got 29 MPG on a Dodge van with a 318 and a stick.The 'down side', was that I had a hard time NOT doing 100 MPH everywhere I went!!

I have 'documented' that this van would do 155 on the flat out.
I had a local Judge's nephew on a stopwatch, HE confirmed that we got 155 mph. The stop at the gas station confirmed that it happened at over 25 mpg!!

If anyone DOUBTS what I am saying, I can build another car that will do all the above out of stuff I have shoved under the bench.

"Can't go to work today. The 'voices' said to "Stay home and clean the guns".

Most famous Red-Neck last words...
" Hey Everybody, Watch This!!)

http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn272/subi-crosser/
Jerry
Old 02-15-2010, 04:59 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by subi-crosser View Post
One was a 1964 Buick Special station wagon and the other was a 64 Rambler. BOTH cars would bury the speedometer at will...Both had V-8 engines and automatic trans. Buick had a Powerglide, 2 sp and the Rambler had a Chrysler 727.

Now, IF a car that weighed over 3,000# got 25 MPG with 1964 tech, WHY are we not getting 50 MPG with #4,000. cars NOW??

MONEY!! Money for oil companies, money for government, money for whatever special interest group that will GAIN by our loss.

IF you never got 25 mpg and could BURY the speedo on a sled, you will not understand my thinking!
I actually got 29 MPG on a Dodge van with a 318 and a stick.The 'down side', was that I had a hard time NOT doing 100 MPH everywhere I went!!

I had a local Judge's nephew on a stopwatch, HE confirmed that we got 155 mph. The stop at the gas station confirmed that it happened at over 25 mpg!!

If anyone DOUBTS what I am saying, I can build another car that will do all the above out of stuff I have shoved under the bench.
How you did you get 25 mpg in a v8 Dodge van?? Any modifications that you can share with your Subaru friends?
BTW, i have a REGISTERED badge and you dont!
70' Olds Toronado
98' Renault Chamade
82' Honda Prelude
69' Mustang Hardtop
67' IKA Torino Coupe
74' Renault Torino Coupe
Old 02-15-2010, 05:01 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by subi-crosser View Post

I'm pefectly content with the 30mpg (with a 1.5 mile commute I'm getting out of my 3700lbs awd jaguar. That's 5 better then I got with the Imp and a fuel 10mpg better then my wife gets with her Lego wagon. Unfortunately, I can't bury the speedo though as it goes to 165mph. Plus it actually can turn iand keep the shiney side up while driving in the triple digits.

Makes up for the 11mpg I'm getting on the with the 2450lbs TVR. Once all the FU$KING lazy SH%TS who can't clean the snow off their Breeder buggies and PigUVs are finally done throwing ice chunks at everyone behind them I'll be back to my honest 80mpg commuter, by spring the 250mpg 50 year old Honda will be done. Gas by the season in the 3/4 gallon tank!
Old 02-15-2010, 06:59 PM

Registered SVX

My 65' bonny that had a tripower 389 with a 4 speed got great MPG (25-28 on the HWY and 19-21 in town as long as I kept her on running 2 barrels.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:11 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRX2FFU View Post
My 65' bonny that had a tripower 389 with a 4 speed got great MPG (25-28 on the HWY and 19-21 in town as long as I kept her on running 2 barrels.
Wow, better mileage than a SVX with a 389
70' Olds Toronado
98' Renault Chamade
82' Honda Prelude
69' Mustang Hardtop
67' IKA Torino Coupe
74' Renault Torino Coupe
Old 02-15-2010, 07:34 PM

Registered SVX

I honestly think it weighd less than an svx

If I kept all six open a lot I got around 10...

I still miss that car. It was my first project car.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:48 PM
Subaru Technician

Send a message via AIM to Hondasucks Send a message via MSN to Hondasucks Send a message via Yahoo to Hondasucks
Registered SVX

I was talking to one of the reps from Subaru a few months ago, and he said that when they brought the smart fortwo over here, that the European model was getting close to 100mpg, and after they did all the stuff to the engine to make it pass US emissions it was down to 44 mpg I used to want one, but they get slightly better mileage than a Yaris, and the Yaris is like, twice the size for the same price..
something doesn't quite add up...
1992 SVX LS-L #1222 Pearl White
1987 GL Turbo wagon, 5 lug conversion, D/R 5 speed (Rice killer)
1992 Dodge Ram 4x4 diesel (car hauler)
1968 Dodge Polara convertible (Camaro killer)
1990 Toyota Corolla FWD auto (330,000 mile grocery getter)
1986 VW Jetta
Old 02-16-2010, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondasucks View Post
I was talking to one of the reps from Subaru a few months ago, and he said that when they brought the smart fortwo over here, that the European model was getting close to 100mpg, and after they did all the stuff to the engine to make it pass US emissions it was down to 44 mpg I used to want one, but they get slightly better mileage than a Yaris, and the Yaris is like, twice the size for the same price..
something doesn't quite add up...
That's bullsh&$. Euro smart cars get around 65-75 with a very low power diesel engine which no one here would even think about 0-60 in 25 seconds sound good to you? US emissions weren't the problem, crash testing was. Best way to get a small car to the market is not have it classified as a car at all but build a trike. An old Reliant will net you 75mpg and hold 4 people just as well as a fiesta will. That's with a gas engine too!
Old 02-16-2010, 07:28 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob View Post
That's bullsh&$. Euro smart cars get around 65-75 with a very low power diesel engine which no one here would even think about 0-60 in 25 seconds sound good to you? US emissions weren't the problem, crash testing was. Best way to get a small car to the market is not have it classified as a car at all but build a trike. An old Reliant will net you 75mpg and hold 4 people just as well as a fiesta will. That's with a gas engine too!
Right, I drive around in town in my STI and I feel like I'm at a race track. People speeding like crazy just to get up to 35-40mph. I don't understand it.

I go the speed limit and most of the time I drive conservativly. Slow into the gas up to 3k shift, I run 4th and 5th gear for in town driving(6spd gear ratios).

People need to just slow down.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:53 AM

The 1966 Ford Galaxie 500 (390 cid, 2 bbl., C6 automatic) I drove for about a year got, what... eight MPG? Six?

I've imagined for awhile that boom-time new car sales numbers were ultimately unsustainable and that all automakers would do well to adopt a business model that focused as much on keeping their existing fleet on the roads as on new product sales, by means of better parts availability and pricing, sensibly-priced service, financing plans for factory refurbishing, expanded warranties for "certified" used cars, and the like. Automobiles represent too much of a financial expenditure to be considered disposable.

dcb
Old 02-16-2010, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarrb View Post
Automobiles represent too much of a financial expenditure to be considered disposable.

dcb
Enter TaTa Motors.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:59 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarrb View Post
The 1966 Ford Galaxie 500 (390 cid, 2 bbl., C6 automatic) I drove for about a year got, what... eight MPG? Six?

I've imagined for awhile that boom-time new car sales numbers were ultimately unsustainable and that all automakers would do well to adopt a business model that focused as much on keeping their existing fleet on the roads as on new product sales, by means of better parts availability and pricing, sensibly-priced service, financing plans for factory refurbishing, expanded warranties for "certified" used cars, and the like. Automobiles represent too much of a financial expenditure to be considered disposable.

dcb
I cant agree more. +1!
70' Olds Toronado
98' Renault Chamade
82' Honda Prelude
69' Mustang Hardtop
67' IKA Torino Coupe
74' Renault Torino Coupe
Old 02-16-2010, 04:02 PM
I'm the anti-do-gooder

The year is 1987. Honda produces a sporty car that can average about 50 MPG. I guess the oil companies are just too greedy now.

The CRX HF

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: