Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > European Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2010, 01:51 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Re: scratch damaged on glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
Just want to let those people who may be wanting to do this in the future, the old inner stabilizers can simply be popped out and the new ones (technically outer) just popped in. So if you want all new ones for your front windows, you only need to order 8 of these
Outer Stabilizer Part # 62310PA000
and none of the inner stabilizers... I can add pics when I get to it to show what I'm talking about

It will save you about $15 if ordering from one of the online dealers if I remember correctly.
Are you saying Nate that although there are different part numbers for inner and outer, we can simply use the outers in all locations when doing the job?

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 01-16-2010, 02:27 AM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist View Post
Are you saying Nate that although there are different part numbers for inner and outer, we can simply use the outers in all locations when doing the job?

Joe
That is correct Joe. Sorry for myself not being able to put it in such clear terms. But when I received the part for the outside stabilizers, it is just the plastic piece with the "cloth" part while on the parts for the inner stabilizers, they have the exact same plastic piece but it is just mounted on the metal bracket that gets bolted on the door to secure it. You can just take off the old inner stabilizer off your car, remove the plastic part with the cloth from that one and replace with the Outer stabilizer part.
This works for front door windows for sure, and I would have to be pretty sure that the same is true for the rear moving windows as well

Edit, upon further looking, the type of materials used is different from the 2. On the outside stabilizer parts, there are harder bristles on the edge and soft cloth in the middle while on the actual inner stabilizer it is all soft cloth so there is a slight difference but I do believe that it would not cause a problem to use the outer stabilizers on the inside.

Outer stabilizer on left, Inner stabilizer on right as they came from Subaru

The backs of each showing that the plastic clips are identical

Trying to show the differences in the "bristles"/cloth make-up

sorry for the quality as I was using my phone

Basically for the extra $3-4US for the inner ones you are paying for the metal bracket that is already on your car. After I take my old ones out, I will see if it is possible to get them cleaned up enough to be put back on a car with good glass and let you all know so that you may never need to buy new ones

Last edited by 1986nate; 01-16-2010 at 02:42 AM.
Old 01-16-2010, 03:50 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX

That shows it very well Nate, thanks.

The harm is done by embedded grit in the bristles. For the money I would simply replace the pads rather than run the risk.

Great idea, and thanks for letting us in on the idea.

Joe

PS for what it's worth, I imaging most scoring damage is done on the outside of the glass anyway. It's most likely caused by road dust and grit sitting on the lower edge of your horizontal window plastic guide while the car is parked. This may not happen much at the inner side, unless you drive with the window open a lot.
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 01-16-2010, 04:31 AM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist View Post
That shows it very well Nate, thanks.

The harm is done by embedded grit in the bristles. For the money I would simply replace the pads rather than run the risk.

Great idea, and thanks for letting us in on the idea.

Joe

PS for what it's worth, I imaging most scoring damage is done on the outside of the glass anyway. It's most likely caused by road dust and grit sitting on the lower edge of your horizontal window plastic guide while the car is parked. This may not happen much at the inner side, unless you drive with the window open a lot.
Exactly. It will be interesting to see what all I find in the old guides