Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > Down Under
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2009, 04:17 AM

Next holiday trip.

Posted this last night but put it in the wrong area so need to do it again here.
We are getting ready for the next trip away, plan is to travel west then north to the edge of the Simpson Desert spend a couple of day swiming in the thermal lake then head west towards the Western Australian Coast. The road west is called the Gunbarrel Highway. The highway bit was a bit of OZ humour as the road is dirt, corrogated and lonely. To use it you need to get a permit from the goverment and travel in convoy so. If you breakdown or have problems you can die out there before you get help.
Its always interesting with all these guys in the big 4 wheel drives telling me that I can't go there etc and that my car "IS NOT 4 WHEEL DRIVE". Makes for a lot of fun. Few people have said given that the car have 500,000 on it it won't make it so we will see what happens.
Tony
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX 255 K Wife (Want to stay Married so not allowed to fit SC)
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
1995 - SVX Green low k mint condiation.
1995 - SVX Rally car, ex Matts car. Now to be used on track.
1992 - SVX red & Black being converted to Mid Engine.
1995 - SVX Red 143,000 bit rough.
Owned 5 others Subaru back to a 1974 1400 GSR.
Old 05-04-2009, 04:23 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Re: Next holiday trip.

Hi Tony

I know you enjoy going to the limits in your car, but take care out there. Enjoy the trip, but be a boyscout and take plenty of provisions.

Not 4WD, what do they know??

White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 05-04-2009, 03:52 PM

Registered SVX

plenty of pics and documentation to go with em please!

a well wisher ......

the older I get, the faster I was
Old 05-07-2009, 06:22 AM
Mr Soob

The Gunbarrel highway was pioneered by Len Beadell, an interesting chap I had the fortune to see speaking about his efforts out there.

I haven't read his books - I keep meaning to - but he surveyed that road using celestial navigation in the middle of the desert. No mean feat.

Enjoy yourself out there, mate. Wish I was coming with you - I love it out there.
'93 SVX Black on Burgundy > Completely stock, under preservation, treated like a princess. (55,000km, 1 previous owner) Not For Sale
'92 SVX Black on Burgundy > Completely stock, under preservation, treated like a princess. (144,000km, 2 previous owners) Not For Sale
Wife, Red Hot when riled > Treated like a princess. Minister For Finance, Domestic Affairs and Diplomatic Relations. Definitely Not For Sale
My Wanted List: http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...178#post632178
Old 05-08-2009, 04:36 AM

How you going McTaff, yeah it will be fun, I seem to remember your father saying he had travled out there, did you also go.
Tony
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX 255 K Wife (Want to stay Married so not allowed to fit SC)
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
1995 - SVX Green low k mint condiation.
1995 - SVX Rally car, ex Matts car. Now to be used on track.
1992 - SVX red & Black being converted to Mid Engine.
1995 - SVX Red 143,000 bit rough.
Owned 5 others Subaru back to a 1974 1400 GSR.
Old 05-08-2009, 05:16 AM
Registered Loser

Hey Tony that sounds awesome!!! Enjoy
Old 05-14-2009, 01:13 AM
Mr Soob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dessertrunner View Post
How you going McTaff, yeah it will be fun, I seem to remember your father saying he had travled out there, did you also go.
Tony
Sure did!

Spent many weeks in my youth out there. Was awesome... would like to do it again, though
'93 SVX Black on Burgundy > Completely stock, under preservation, treated like a princess. (55,000km, 1 previous owner) Not For Sale
'92 SVX Black on Burgundy > Completely stock, under preservation, treated like a princess. (144,000km, 2 previous owners) Not For Sale
Wife, Red Hot when riled > Treated like a princess. Minister For Finance, Domestic Affairs and Diplomatic Relations. Definitely Not For Sale
My Wanted List: http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...178#post632178