Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-22-2008, 09:20 PM

Noobish trans thread

Hey guys, I recently got the SVX I bought for the 24hrs of Lemons race up and running (after re-installing the steering rack, amongst other things). When I drive around in drive it pulls fine (no slips), but when I let out of the throttle, it goes into neutral. I give it gas and it revs freely (in drive). It will then engage into gear on its own, and I can drive fine for a little while longer. Also, if I put it into 1st and second the trans works fine, no issues at all. Any ideas? I noticed the speedometer isnt working (are these trans dependent on any sort of speed-sensor input?) also clicking the manual button on the shifter causes no change.

car is a 92 LSL with 110k miles, Im going to service the trans next week ( i was going to anyway, just to prolong the inevitable).

closest thing I could find in the search was this:
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...s+shift&page=2

its close, but mine is not stalling

edit: I am reading more that if the thing behind the batt is unplugged something like this could happen, I will check that out in the morning.

Last edited by theallpowerful; 05-22-2008 at 09:44 PM.
Old 05-23-2008, 12:48 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by theallpowerful View Post
Hey guys, I recently got the SVX I bought for the 24hrs of Lemons race up and running (after re-installing the steering rack, amongst other things). When I drive around in drive it pulls fine (no slips), but when I let out of the throttle, it goes into neutral. I give it gas and it revs freely (in drive). It will then engage into gear on its own, and I can drive fine for a little while longer. Also, if I put it into 1st and second the trans works fine, no issues at all. Any ideas? I noticed the speedometer isnt working (are these trans dependent on any sort of speed-sensor input?) also clicking the manual button on the shifter causes no change.

car is a 92 LSL with 110k miles, Im going to service the trans next week ( i was going to anyway, just to prolong the inevitable).

closest thing I could find in the search was this:
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...s+shift&page=2

its close, but mine is not stalling

edit: I am reading more that if the thing behind the batt is unplugged something like this could happen, I will check that out in the morning.
This one is probably closer. Look at post 4.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=44377

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 05-23-2008, 10:27 AM

that is more like the problem, except mine will pull in drive but not if you let off of the gas. Anyway, it being a lemons car, a trans rebuild is out of budget. So I may just see how long she lasts in 1st and second gear only (what is top speed at redline in 2nd? my speedo doesnt work).
Old 05-23-2008, 04:50 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by theallpowerful View Post
that is more like the problem, except mine will pull in drive but not if you let off of the gas. Anyway, it being a lemons car, a trans rebuild is out of budget. So I may just see how long she lasts in 1st and second gear only (what is top speed at redline in 2nd? my speedo doesnt work).
You should be able to drive it as I said in that thread, like this;
You can continue to drive it as you are doing, selecting 2nd with the shifter to start, then moving it to D to pick up 3rd. Of course you will have to select 2nd again when you slow down or stop.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.