Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-26-2008, 08:21 PM
Collision Refinishing Tech

Registered SVX
A/C not working

Well when i got my car about a year or so ago i noticed it had not a/c because of a oinhole leak on the metal line which i fixed and got it recharged. It worked for a couple months then i noticed about a week or so ago it wasn't cold anymore. There is also a noticeable smell of antifreeze when the hood id open and the a/c is turned on high. I also shecked the coolant and the former leak and both seem good. should i just replace the o-rings on the high and low pressure lines and get it recharged? Why would it smell like antifreeze bad?
Mods:AWD conversion/4.44 swap by Budfreak, Custom red interior lights, Custom Satin black dash, Power mode switch, Cold air intake, Permecool tranny filter,Sony xplode 10" sub, Sony xplode 1000w amp, Blitz in-line driver, DDM Tuning 6000k HID's, New paint job/body work by me, 97' Grill, QC shift kit, 17'' MB Motoring rims, 15&20 min mod, front & rear urethane swaybar bushings, Custom fiberglass sub box, Custom red led a/c control unit, perrin lightweight crank pulley, Black wrinkle finish powdercoated intake manifold w/ clear hoses , 02' outback heated/power black leather seats
Soon to come:Fiberglass hood, upholster ALL suede to black leather
Past subies:

92' Pearl White/black top LS-L-SOLD
96' Legacy Outback-TOTALED
99' Legacy Outback Limited 30th anniversary edition-TOTALED
98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
99' Forester S -WRX brake upgrade, soon an 04 wrx motor swap
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress
Old 04-26-2008, 10:54 PM

It might be...

oil in the air condition system mixed with the refrigerant seeped out from the leak?
Not sure what that would smell like but if antifreeze level is good in radiator and the reservoir...?
just a thought
Keith
Old 04-27-2008, 07:47 AM

Registered SVX
There is no leaks of antifreeze and the leak in the a/c line was on the refrigerant inlet from the condensor to the top of the compressor. the leak was smaller than a pin and was on the welds where it bolts on the top of the compressor. It bubbled from there and hissed when using a cheap recharger in a can. Resealed it with fbweld and got it professionally recharged and after 6-7 months it's bairly cold. Just that smell of antifreeze and no apparent leaks confuses me?
Mods:AWD conversion/4.44 swap by Budfreak, Custom red interior lights, Custom Satin black dash, Power mode switch, Cold air intake, Permecool tranny filter,Sony xplode 10" sub, Sony xplode 1000w amp, Blitz in-line driver, DDM Tuning 6000k HID's, New paint job/body work by me, 97' Grill, QC shift kit, 17'' MB Motoring rims, 15&20 min mod, front & rear urethane swaybar bushings, Custom fiberglass sub box, Custom red led a/c control unit, perrin lightweight crank pulley, Black wrinkle finish powdercoated intake manifold w/ clear hoses , 02' outback heated/power black leather seats
Past subies:

98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress
Old 04-27-2008, 01:15 PM

same here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlightningsvx View Post
There is no leaks of antifreeze and the leak in the a/c line was on the refrigerant inlet from the condensor to the top of the compressor. the leak was smaller than a pin and was on the welds where it bolts on the top of the compressor. It bubbled from there and hissed when using a cheap recharger in a can. Resealed it with fbweld and got it professionally recharged and after 6-7 months it's bairly cold. Just that smell of antifreeze and no apparent leaks confuses me?
Old 04-27-2008, 05:02 PM

Registered SVX
I also just checked the sight glass and it's crystal clear no foam or air bubbles. I think the only option if the o rings dont fix it is to replace the whole metal pipe or should i replace it anyway because the one on there now had a leak but i'm not sure that was the only leak? Should i replace the compressor oil before i get it recharged or should i just leave it as is? I really like a/c in summer so i need to fix this problem.
Past subies:

98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress
Old 04-27-2008, 05:14 PM

Sight glass stuff...

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlightningsvx View Post
I also just checked the sight glass and it's crystal clear no foam or air bubbles. I think the only option if the o rings dont fix it is to replace the whole metal pipe or should i replace it anyway because the one on there now had a leak but i'm not sure that was the only leak? Should i replace the compressor oil before i get it recharged or should i just leave it as is? I really like a/c in summer so i need to fix this problem.
The sight glass could be clear without the compressor running-with or without refrigerant in the system. Your compressor clutch, of course, will engage when the system hasn't a sufficient refrigeration charge.

The metal pipe that had a hole in it, if repaired and not leaking should be ok, depending on how it was repaired.

If it is totally out of refrigerant and If the "O" rings and a recharge don't fix it, would just about have to find out exactly where it is leaking and get the leak stopped.

Best of luck,
Keith