OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...=chike+90%2F10

lotta good info in there

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 03-07-2006, 05:46 AM
I brought some ham.

Send a message via AIM to Ricochet Send a message via MSN to Ricochet Send a message via Yahoo to Ricochet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pockets
That is not normal, and you're wrong about the torque split. The split can be anywhere from 90/10 to (I believe) 50/50. It's not commonly the latter, but can be.

If your front wheels slip significantly before the rear 'kicks in,' I suspect your transfer clutch is badly worn. My wife had a 1990 Legacy that did the same thing. None of our other AWD automatic Subarus, when they were working correctly, did that.
Can you please give me a somewhat detailed description (pics would be nice) on what this is, where it's located, and how to replace it? When it snowed and I push it to wot I hear a whining sound (rear wheels not spinning) which could very well be a bad transfer clutch.
Old 03-07-2006, 07:12 AM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricochet
Can you please give me a somewhat detailed description (pics would be nice) on what this is, where it's located, and how to replace it? When it snowed and I push it to wot I hear a whining sound (rear wheels not spinning) which could very well be a bad transfer clutch.
Brian, checking the TPS is a ten minute or so job that costs you nothing, and the solenoid C and rear clutches are a three hour job thats costs money.
Since they both can have the same result, wouldn't it make sence to check the TPS, first?
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 03-07-2006, 07:28 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by svxfiles
Brian, checking the TPS is a ten minute or so job that costs you nothing, and the solenoid C and rear clutches are a three hour job thats costs money.
Since they both can have the same result, wouldn't it make sence to check the TPS, first?
I totally agree. Do that first.

But, since you asked, I'll give you a little skinny on the transfer clutch. The transaxle is basically split into three parts:

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/fil...ckets/6279.jpg

The three parts are the front differential, the gearbox itself and the transfer assembly. You have to remove the transfer assembly to get to the transfer clutch and solenoid. Pull the exhaust and prop shaft, support the transmission with a jack, remove the rear transmission support and you're most of the way there.

It's the internal stuff that can be really touchy. The bad news is that the first pressure plate comes in four different sizes and you don't know which one you need until you get the old one out. You really need to measure the thing with a nice caliper, too - the four sizes are all within 1.2mm. Get it wrong and I guarantee your car won't like it.

Reassembly is tricky. The wire for the solenoid has to go exactly where it's supposed to. If it doesn't, it can get caught up in the reduction gears and (no kidding, a Subaru tech warned me about this) pull the entire transmission's wire harness apart.

Not only that, but you have to be very careful to reassemble the parking mechanism correctly. This one I have experience with:

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/use...0Pockets|16912

I didn't do it right. Luckily I had the SVX's old transmission to cannibalize for parts.

Scared yet? Check the TPS. If it' s within range, you need a new transfer clutch. Unless you're pretty experienced, I wouldn't recommend replacing it yourself.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 03-07-2006, 07:46 AM
I brought some ham.

Send a message via AIM to Ricochet Send a message via MSN to Ricochet Send a message via Yahoo to Ricochet
I'm experienced with electronics and turning wrenches, but this honestly sounds like something I'd rather spend the few extra hundred dollars and have somebody else do it (warranties are a nice bonus too). I've got a few very experienced Subaru connections so it shouldn't be too expensive.. but yeah, I'll check the tps voltage first, even though it doesn't make sense that my car would make a whining noise because of that.
Old 03-07-2006, 07:51 AM
FastandFurious

Quote:
Originally Posted by ensteele
It was until I saw it. Now he can try it again and keep it a little more family friendly. This will not be allowed.
I don't know why it's not family friendly
you are the first preson to think so
Old 03-12-2006, 02:57 PM
FastandFurious

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvx95
Hey, cool username dude
Make sure your engine fusebox does not have the FWD fuse in the slot...it should be empty..thus engaging AWD

WOW
you are the man
i didn't think that was it
i check the fuse box
and low and behold
15 amp fuse in the 10 amp FWD fuse slot
took it out
now i'm a snow pimp!
You rock thanks for the awsome advice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-13-2006, 11:21 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Beware that there was probably a reason as to why that fuse was there to begin with. Be alert for binding in tight turns.
Old 03-13-2006, 12:16 PM
FastandFurious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm
Beware that there was probably a reason as to why that fuse was there to begin with. Be alert for binding in tight turns.
what do you mean?

it's been fine all weekend so far
Old 03-13-2006, 01:22 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
What I'm asking is who put the fuse there in the first place...and why?