Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > European Forum

Old 02-28-2006, 10:53 AM

Lightbulb Getting hold of bits

So where do you people get hold of bits from?

I've found here http://www.japarts.co.uk/shop/ which appears to be reasonable in terms of price, even the cam belts don't appear to be too ludicrous in price. There are things, like gasket sets, that don't appear on their list however, so where do you get them from?

Finally there appear to be various sites which append (1994-05) or (1992-11) to part descriptions. What does this mean??????

To someone in the know this is probably bleedin' obvious but it'd got me beat!
Old 02-28-2006, 04:50 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Man of many parts.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsPeteReally
So where do you people get hold of bits from?

I've found here http://www.japarts.co.uk/shop/ which appears to be reasonable in terms of price, even the cam belts don't appear to be too ludicrous in price. There are things, like gasket sets, that don't appear on their list however, so where do you get them from?

Finally there appear to be various sites which append (1994-05) or (1992-11) to part descriptions. What does this mean??????

To someone in the know this is probably bleedin' obvious but it'd got me beat!
Pete, I don't think anything is obvious with this car.

You seem to be ahead of my posse anyway. I have never seen that site, and I've just bookmarked it. Nice one, thanks.

I'm presuming you mean servicing parts when you say bits? It depends on what you can get locally, and the price. If your car is UK model, then your local main Subaru dealer will be able and willing to get you any part, using the chassis number. If it is an import, he probably will not want to help, which is where Japarts will be better.

A lot of us buy parts from the USA. They sold 15,000 of the cars over there, and parts are much cheaper. If you are not sure, check here before you order big parts. The US gearbox is not the same as ours, also the rear discs and pads are different. Log onto subaruparts.com and 1stsubaruparts.com, both excellent for sourcing parts.

Regards the numbers 92-11 and 94-05, don't worry too much about that. If you look, you will see they each have the same parts numbers on that site anyway, so for those parts there is no difference.

What I suspect it means is there was a minor upgrade in the SVX during its sales life. The original models started selling in the UK in Nov 1992[so 1992-11] There was an upgrade in cars produced after May 1994 [so 1994-05]. The later models, phase II if you like, are noticable mostly by colour, they are all the one colour, and do not have the black roof. The earlier models [there are much more of these around] all have the black roof.

From a servicing point of view, the main consumables are generally the same. The principal difference, and I think most would agree with me on this, aside from improvements to the gearbox, the principal change is in the On-Board Diagnostic system. Earlier cars have OBD-1, which is easy to get trouble codes from. Post '94 cars have OBD-11, which requires a socket and a dealer computer to query information from.

So basically, if your car has a black roof, it is easy to service, or at least easier, and if your car is UK [if it has headlight washers in the bumper], your local Subie dealer can get parts.

You can also get spares on eBay, if you know how to look.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 02-28-2006, 11:34 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
What I suspect it means is there was a minor upgrade in the SVX during its sales life. The original models started selling in the UK in Nov 1992[so 1992-11] There was an upgrade in cars produced after May 1994 [so 1994-05]. The later models, phase II if you like, are noticable mostly by colour, they are all the one colour, and do not have the black roof.
Of course!!!!!!!!

Sometimes I need sombody to explain the patently obvious to me.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: