Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 01-27-2002, 03:10 AM
TonyShaleUK

Steering and struts

Hi
I'm new to the club - been with the UK lot for 6 months since buying my silver 91 Jap import. Put 11000 exciting & trouble free miles on since then, but..

The rack needs replacing (worn inner joints). I have one to replace and altho' it looks straightforward, getting it out of the subframe looks a nightmare! Any advice - engine raise or subframe drop??!!

The strut bearings need replacing. Does the spring need compressing to remove the strut?

Seen a lot about the steering o ring replacement - which one is this? Rather do it with the rack out than in!

Thanks in anticipation

Tony
Old 01-27-2002, 08:04 AM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
You don't need to replace the entire rack in order to replace the inner tie rods - that would be overly expensive and difficult. The inner ends are threaded into the ends of the rack.

The spring doesn't need to be compressed to remove the strut from the car, however it will need to be compressed in order to replace the bearing plate, etc. I would really recommend that compressing the spring be done at a service facility as the inexpensive strut spring compressors are very dangerous. Usually if you remove the strut from the car and take it in to a garage, etc. they'll change it out for you for a small fee.
Old 01-27-2002, 12:01 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Re: Steering and struts

Quote:
Originally posted by TonyShaleUK
Hi
I'm new to the club - been with the UK lot for 6 months since buying my silver 91 Jap import. Put 11000 exciting & trouble free miles on since then, but..

Seen a lot about the steering o ring replacement - which one is this? Rather do it with the rack out than in!

Thanks in anticipation

Tony
Tony
When the O-ring is mentioned in connection with steering, they mean a small ring between the reservoir and the steering pump.

The tank/reservoir has to be emptied[using a turkey baster is recommended], the tank taken off and the O-ring seal replaced. The cost of the ring is cheap. A leaking seal causes cavitation in the pump, which can be felt as vibration at the wheel under lock, or sometimes groaning or growling at the pump.

Can be tackled anytime, whether the rack is in or out.

Joe

PS, when refilling, take care to use Dexron ATF, not power steering oil.
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 01-27-2002, 01:02 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Tony,
Welcome to the Network. I've been a part of the UK club as well, but haven't frequented it as much as I used to.

If you go to the top of the page, you'll see a button for "Personal Lockers." If you click on it, you will be sent to a page with everyone's "locker." Scroll down to the "How-To" locker where you'll find a step by step how to on the o-ring replacement as well as a picture showing the location on the Power Steering Pump reservoir. Best of luck.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI