How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 11-15-2003, 03:52 PM

Send a message via AIM to milesmc214
Engine Knocking

Hello, I changed to winter oil today, and after it started up I noticed a faint knocking noise coming from the engine. I dont know where it could be coming from. Has this happend to anyone? The knocking was there in march before I put summer oil in, but now it is just a little bit more noticable. I wil have it check soon to find out exactly where the knocking is coming from. I just thougt I would post to see if anyone has had this problem, and maybe know what repair costs might be.

thanks,
--Miles
Old 11-17-2003, 06:39 PM

My dad thinks that I might need a new crankshaft or rod(s) possibly piston(s). Sound familiar to anyone? I see that the costs of doing this kind of work is very expensive (''). I dont know what to do. Any Ideas?

--Miles
Old 11-17-2003, 06:48 PM
Green1995SVX

It's almost unheard of that the SVX's engine has any problems at all. Are you sure you're not hearing a timing belt tensioner or a failing water pump?

Mike
Old 11-17-2003, 07:07 PM

No its not the timing belt or water pump altough they do need replaced as well. This noise only comes around when there is thin oil in it (15w40) and it does'nt do it when there is thick summer oil in it (20w50). My dads old legacy wagon had the same noise, and he said that it was rod knock. So I guess big repairs must be in the future.

--Miles
Old 11-17-2003, 07:22 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
SVXes have hydraulic lifters. Sometimes they get a bit sticky or are not fully charged with oil when the car is started in the morning. This produces a ticking sound for the first 5-10 min after startup. Are you hearing this?

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 11-17-2003, 07:29 PM

Its more of a tapping noise, and it happens the whole time the engine is on, even after 30 min. its still there. I wish I could just magically make it dissapear, lol. I could if I only had the money.

--Miles
Old 11-17-2003, 07:39 PM
Donate to the mod fund

Send a message via AIM to BigBlueSVX
I've experienced a knocking noise for as long as I've had my car. It only occurs when accelerating hard, especially uphill. Never knew what it was though.
Old 11-17-2003, 07:39 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Question

Huh! 20W-50? I use 10W-30 year 'round, & I think the manual states to do so. Anyone else?

Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 11-17-2003, 07:57 PM

Yes, It does but in order for the engine to stop the noise its making thicker oil had to be put in. At least thats what my dad did on his old legacy, and it seems to work on the svx as well. Pleas let me know if i should not be doing this. Seems like the only way to get it back to normal is to have new rods or crankshaft or somthing put in, I am going in to shop to have it examined later this week. Again let me know if I am doing anything wrong or making bad assumtions I dont know a whole lot about the mechanics, though I am trying to learn everything I can.

--Miles
Old 11-17-2003, 08:00 PM
Green1995SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by milesmc214
Yes, It does but in order for the engine to stop the noise its making thicker oil had to be put in. At least thats what my dad did on his old legacy, and it seems to work on the svx as well. Pleas let me know if i should not be doing this. Seems like the only way to get it back to normal is to have new rods or crankshaft or somthing put in, I am going in to shop to have it examined later this week. Again let me know if I am doing anything wrong or making bad assumtions I dont know a whole lot about the mechanics, though I am trying to learn everything I can.

--Miles
Here's what I would do. Firstly, I would use the recommended oil (check your owners manual.) Secondly, I would take the car to the local Subaru dealer and have their service department diagnose the problem. They know svx's much better than you and your dad (please take no offence) and can give you a precise diagnosis so you know where you stand.

Mike
Old 11-17-2003, 08:06 PM

Thats what I am going to try to do this week, I am goin to call for an appointment tomarrow. I just wanted to see if you guys had experienced anything like this or heard of anything like it. Ill keep you all posted as to what the dealer says. Thanks for all the info.

--Miles