Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 11-09-2003, 04:11 PM

Stumped...please help

Some of you may remember my last two posts about my car dying and all the lights coming on. I replaced the battery about 2 weeks ago and that seemed to fix the problem for a couple days. Drove teh car and all the lights came on. Turned off the car and it wouldn't start. Finally started it 5 mins later and it dyed about 20minutes later when I pulled into my parking spot. Fast forward to Friday. Got a new alternator put it on. Car worked fine all day friday, saturday, and this afternoon. On the back today, the battery light, stop lamp light, and e-brake light came on. I pulled into a gas station to pump some gas and tried to start it, and the car had no juice at all. Got it jumped, made it back here w/ all the dash lights on and stuff. Head lights and all other lights were dim. Got to my spot and the died in the spot. What could this be? I just replaced both the Alternator and Battery. Both are brand new never used items. Is there some sort of voltage regulator that should be replaced or anything? I'm completely stumped and pretty damn pissed. Thanks for any help guys.
Old 11-09-2003, 04:46 PM

just a guess, but I think the new alternator needs to be returned. the voltage regulator is internal to the alternator.

but before all that, check the connections at alternator plug and stud, plus cables to battery - make sure they're tight.
Old 11-09-2003, 04:50 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Electrical system

Hi SVX Girl, The voltage regulator is part ot the alternator and costs more than a rebuilt alternator from Subaru, if purchased separately. My suggestion would be to take your car to an auto electric shop and have them diagnose and fix the problem. Take care, BOBB
Old 11-09-2003, 06:03 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
I agree with the guys above. Just a note, the connections to the battery are very "sensitive." IF there's the least little bit of corrosion or rust, or anything that could inhibit a good connection, the car won't start. I've had this experience. Something as lame as a bad body ground (the little black wire coming off the ground terminal) can cause trouble. A little corrosion on the positive terminal, where the additional wire fits into the terminal, can cause problems. So, check all these things first, or, just take it back to the folks that sold you the alternator and have them test it.

Oh, and one more thing (may be worth a shot), check the connection to your sun visor mirrors (both sides). A short in one of those things has been known to wreak havoc on an electrical system. Remove the little "elbow covers" on the visors and check wiring for fraying. Use a small flat-blade screwdriver, or a pair of tweezers to pull on them if you can't see anything. If you find fraying, just clip them and tape them up to keep them from shorting. Then, fix 'em later.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 11-09-2003, 06:09 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay
snip

Oh, and one more thing (may be worth a shot), check the connection to your sun visor mirrors (both sides). A short in one of those things has been known to wreak havoc on an electrical system. Remove the little "elbow covers" on the visors and check wiring for fraying. Use a small flat-blade screwdriver, or a pair of tweezers to pull on them if you can't see anything. If you find fraying, just clip them and tape them up to keep them from shorting. Then, fix 'em later.
I second Randy on this one...I went to "fix" the drooping visors in my '92 and found that one of the previous owners had clipped the wires for both visors!
-Bill
p.s. It really does sound like the altenator isn't charging the battery at all, and you're only getting as far as the existing charge on the battery will take you

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker