How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 08-05-2006, 06:02 PM

Finally Im getting an SVX WOOT

Hey guys,

yes that's right after a ton of research and questions answered from you guys Im getting my first SVX It's a 92' Pearl fully loaded ...so does that make it an LS-L? Has 125k miles, anyways well Im only paying 700$ for it cause it has no transmission...isn't definately going to be a project car for me but I have an issue my friends mother is a loan officer and she suggests that I take out a larger loan than the 700 that way it is cheaper in the long run. So I figure if I do it that way then I can get the car, Do my 5mt swap and possibly get the paint and clearcoat redone, with about 5k Im thinking labor and all included. that's if I use the smallcar performance or whatever the company name is that has the 5mt kit. But if I can piece it together easier and cheaper can someone please post me some detailed instructions or numbers to try I know you have over various boards but Im hoping to get them all on one thread that way I don't have to jump all over to find them thankyou in advance for your time and effort guys Im gonna keep you updated on the progress... the car btw is in decent shape, never been in a wreck all the paperwork, NO DENTS OR RUST!!!!! on the frame straight frame needs new paint and rusty windshield wipers needs new transmission and gonna clean out the engine compartment and get the dirty and rusty stuff out...interior is dirty and needs cleaning...might replace the dash, leather seats show wear but not real bad other than that very clean car and definately a nice project car with lots to work on I have pics in my locker take a look and let me know what you think...if it's worth it, is my estimate reasonable <lower or higher>, and any advice or places to get my 5mt hehe thankyou again guys. Sorry here's my locker link http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?Osilith

-Joe

Last edited by Osilith; 08-05-2006 at 06:09 PM.
Old 08-05-2006, 06:19 PM
I miss my VR-4

Send a message via Yahoo to gtdanielgt
It's a heap ....but for $700 bucks you really cant beat it. My concern would be to make sure everything is ok with the engine.. Is the transmission in it and not functional or is it out of it completely?

No more subie

Current Cars: 96 Chevy Caprice Impala SS clone
93 Chevy Full-size blazer
Soon: 2002 Honda CBR 954RR
Old 08-05-2006, 06:21 PM
Teh Geek

Send a message via ICQ to nsm484 Send a message via AIM to nsm484 Send a message via Yahoo to nsm484
Registered SVX
I have to 2nd that, if the engine is good, then its a great price indeed!

2002 Mitsubishi Lancer OZ Rally [Nori]

1996 LSi Polo Green [Calista] - 18" Konig Incident's - Lived for awhile Now Selling
1992 LSL Dark Teal [Yori] (Rear Ended, Donor to Calista, and now gone)
1992 LSL Ebony Mica (Sold to svxcuseme)
Old 08-05-2006, 07:29 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
Hmm...Could easilly be a cherry in a lemon suite
btw... Pearl white with the spoilerless trunklid..Ultra classy. Lay on the tlc and good luck with the transmission. Id reccoment staying away from the smallcar kit, as there seems to be many complaint about it's structural integrity, as well as the companies buisness practices. that and you can do the job RIGHT for alot less. The best tool is research, and your on the right path starting here.
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 08-05-2006, 07:51 PM

yeah it wouldn't start last time when I looked at it today because of the battery but Im going back sometime this upcoming week to try with some jumper cables hehe to try it....the trans is in it just not functioning could just be the trans pump but Im betting tranny itself hehe good reason for a 5mt swap ehh? any estimates or other advice mayb of a place where I can find the parts I need?

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?Osilith

mylocker url not sure how everyone has it my locker hehe
Old 08-05-2006, 09:07 PM

Send a message via ICQ to ShiuludeSVX Send a message via AIM to ShiuludeSVX Send a message via Yahoo to ShiuludeSVX
Registered SVX
Wassup

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsm484
I have to 2nd that, if the engine is good, then its a great price indeed!
Hey Nsm... Next time I'm in Jax, I'll have to come look at the ride.

My parents are in Argyle (Orange Park)
Old 08-05-2006, 10:34 PM
Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osilith
So I figure if I do it that way then I can get the car, Do my 5mt swap and possibly get the paint and clearcoat redone, with about 5k Im thinking labor and all included.

...or use the $5k to buy a nice running SVX without the headaches?

unless you need something to keep you out of trouble for a long time.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 08-05-2006, 11:15 PM

looks and sounds that bad ehh? lol and here I thought it was a good deal hehehe thanks for the input guys gonna weigh on my decision quite a bit.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?Osilith

mylocker url not sure how everyone has it my locker hehe
Old 08-06-2006, 12:39 AM
One teal and One yellow

What's bought is bought. Congrat you with your new project 92 LSL!

Do you want to change color? It looks like the engine has been sitting for a long. It seems your AC has been converted to R134 too I only can see one side of the adaptor from your pics.

Spend some time do more searches. It might come out cheaper than you thought to get her back to the roads and you'll be more excited with your SVX later.

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05
Old 08-06-2006, 09:18 AM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX
I think the car was hit in the left rear. Check out that mis-colored quarterpanel. Otherwise, it's straight and for $700, it's a steal.
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 08-06-2006, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark
...or use the $5k to buy a nice running SVX without the headaches?

unless you need something to keep you out of trouble for a long time.

you could by MY running svx for 5k :-D

I'm probably going to sell it >_>
Old 08-06-2006, 09:01 PM
Missing in action

Registered SVX
Its 700 bucks. Do it up.
I recently purchased an insurance total for 500, thinking Id be able to rebuild it. The frame is bent in such a way that straightening it would be nearly impossible, not to mention it's split. The way the unibody is put together, its layered and would be exstreamly difficult to weld up. And thats coming from my experiance as a body shop aprentice AND a welder.
...So, rather than rebuild it ,Im swapping everything from it to my car.
Point is..its 700 bucks. For about 1500-1800 more you can get a 5mt and all the parts you need. If you are somewhat skilled (Or ambitious to learn) you can tackle the labor yourself. For the custom parts needed, if you dont have the fabrication skills needed, theres a member who will modify the parts to work. (See AvPPoW)
As for the dirt interior, dirty engine,faded paint ect...that crap is easy to fix. If you do the prep work yourself(and are lucky enough to find a quality body shop that accepts such a thing) you can get a GOOD paint job for roughly 700 bucks. A dirty interior is nothing a vacume cleaner and armorall cant fix.
All in all your best bet is to take out the loan and buy alot of tools to do the work yourself. Nothing is more satisfying than never going to a mechanic (Chicks think its hot too)

Well..whatever you decide, best of luck. Hopefully I gave you a decent perspective of things, ect.
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 08-06-2006, 09:07 PM
Missing in action

Registered SVX
Quote:
I think the car was hit in the left rear. Check out that mis-colored quarterpanel. Otherwise, it's straight and for $700, it's a steal.
Correction, Hit in the fender / door. The handle matches the quarter, I postulate they taped the handle off and resprayed. The quality paint they used was below subaru's and yellowed. That and the rust below the tail lights indicates the quarte wasnt replaced with a new one
......when you see it in person just have a lookie see if the body panels line up. I wouldnt worry about it at all

...actually come to think of it that car has the exact same thing going on as the parts total in my yard...same side and paint and everything. ...creepy

-Edit- The other side has the same thing going. Mabey they replaced the quarter with a rusty one and painted the door handles for some reason too? NOW its a mystery

Last edited by It's Just Eric; 08-06-2006 at 09:11 PM.