Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 09-19-2002, 11:58 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by $VX
hehe. I know what you mean... but I mean in GENERAL, the guy with the new car is going to be smarter than the guy driving the beat up 1984 cavalier.

- Ca$h
You have a very twisted value of what constitutes intelligence and the indications of it. I have known smart people on both ends of the spectrum. I've actually found to the contrary. There are much smarter people in the lesser ranks than many CEO's who buy 6,500.00 shower curtains (there's ONE clue). I have seen CEO's of companies who, without the competent, lesser paid people to make them look good, wouldn't be able to tie their shoes. These are generally those who've inherited their positions, rather than worked for them. Nonetheless, I've seen a lot of "rich" people who are extremely unintelligent. On the other hand, I've seen very poor people who have been genius. So much so that people fear them and will not hire them.

There are people who actually "perceive" me to be wealthy (often, because of the car I drive )who couldn't be further from wrong.

There are those who perceive me to be smart. Another mistake.

If half of the CEO's and Educators for whom I write brochures, videos and speeches, were aware of my income and/or, my educational background, they would likely clutch their hearts and fall into a heap on their marble floors. Meanwhile, I'll keep collecting their letters extolling the virtues of my talents.

Perception vs Reality. If we have not experienced the reality, we are only left with the perception. Since we likely won't be associated with each other in the future, I will revel now in the thoughts of when you are finally introduced to the realities that will correct your perceptions. That day WILL come.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI

Last edited by Aredubjay; 09-19-2002 at 12:01 PM.
Old 09-19-2002, 12:04 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to svxqueen
Cash
You have sooo much to learn about life!!!!
Old 09-19-2002, 02:44 PM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
Randy not smart? COME ON!!!

That was better than most phliosipher's books i've read (and more interesting).
Old 09-19-2002, 04:34 PM
The Road Less Traveled

HEY! ARE YOU MAKING FUN OF OUR CANUCK DOLLAR?!?!?!

Just checking. Carry on.

With the 3rd world wages we make here in the great white north, I can't spare that extra 0.7USD penny.

VK

Quote:
Originally posted by wawazat??

LMAO

Nice exchange rate funny!

Todd
Old 09-19-2002, 10:06 PM

Ah to be young and know it all once again.

Mr President, Sorry, but I can't resist an observation/conclusion and a quote, so please forgive me any flame fanning....

Observation (disclaimer - this data is a few years old - it was valid when published): Physics majors out-score all other academic disciplines (on average) in the Graduate Record Examination (usually needed to to gain admittance to a Master's or PhD degree program in the US for those not familiar). While not an IQ test, it is a general indication of intelligence in the usual sense of the word (and distinct from common sense or knowledge). Physics Today (trade rag) reported that PhD physicists were in the lower 50th percentile for income among technical disciplines.
Conclusion: Increased intelligence results in lower income.

Admittedly not very rigorous logic, but it's at least as good as one-half of what we've been reading lately.

Quote: A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices. William James (1842-1910)
Old 09-19-2002, 10:25 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Lightbulb Re: Ah to be young and know it all once again.

Conclusion: Increased intelligence results in lower income.

Ah-HA!! Finally my abject poverty is explained!

Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 09-20-2002, 12:02 AM
I_Alcyone_I

Quote:
Originally posted by $VX

If you're after performance in an econobox, yes, neons are better. And I never said if you use a PC you're a retard, I said that the MAJORITY of PC users are like the MAJORITY of americans: Dumb. I think most of you are somewhat intelligent, I never called any of you 'stupid' (except one person). But if 90% of the computer marketshare is dominated by beige PCs, and they're CHEAP, you get dumber people. People with more money buy more expensive things, and on the average, are more intelligent. Thats why you see more STUPID low income people driving around in crusty 80s buicks and more intelligent people driving around in 90s BMWs. Dig?

- Ca$h

PCs give you more of a broad range of performance(or non-performance) products. A mac is built with high standards, and there's not really going to be a mac put off the shelf that wont beat a low end pre-manufactured pc built at the same time. But PCs can be built using higher end equipment than anything that apple can create. PCs can be built with the cheapest components around. The most popular computer we sell at Infotech is our startup PC which is around $279 for a duron 1.2ghz system. Macs will cost at least a thousand to buy and for good reason, they do use quality products in their systems, they also use different technology on their processors Macs use a RISC processor, most home PCs use a SISC processor (SISC is much cheaper to produce), there are also some High end PCs that use a RISC processor. A high end home PC can run you as much as 10 thousand and beyond. It all depends on how you use it. PC users are also not limited to using Windows only, there are many different Operating systems out, windows is just the easiest to use and most compatible OS for the PC. It's just not valid to say that PCs are cheap, because it all depends on what you put into them. The lower end PCs allow people to get online if that's all they want to do, some word processing too, and maybe a game every now and then. If every computer were as expensive as a Mac, there wouldn't be half as many people with a computer as there are today. I think it's great that anyone can come in and buy a computer for 300 dollars, it opens up technology to almost everyone.

I could go into greater detail, but im sure nobody will finish reading it anyway, plus there's really no reason to argue about it. I just had to say something.

(edited) I guess I should add, The most expensive computers in the world are based off the PC platform.
Old 09-20-2002, 12:13 AM
I_Alcyone_I

you know, I'm reading over more of this thread, and finding it harder and harder to not type out another "essay".

*taping my hands shut*
Old 09-20-2002, 08:33 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
And to think, it all started with me, having a 70's flashback.

Meanwhile, following the logic of "increased intellegence results in decreased income" . . . . . . . . I should be a bloody quadrillionaire!
Subaru Ambassador

Old 09-20-2002, 08:40 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by I_Alcyone_I

PCs give you more of a broad range of performance(or non-performance) products. A mac is built with high standards, and there's not really going to be a mac put off the shelf that wont beat a low end pre-manufactured pc built at the same time. But PCs can be built using higher end equipment than anything that apple can create. PCs can be built with the cheapest components around. The most popular computer we sell at Infotech is our startup PC which is around $279 for a duron 1.2ghz system. Macs will cost at least a thousand to buy and for good reason, they do use quality products in their systems, they also use different technology on their processors Macs use a RISC processor, most home PCs use a SISC processor (SISC is much cheaper to produce), there are also some High end PCs that use a RISC processor. A high end home PC can run you as much as 10 thousand and beyond. It all depends on how you use it. PC users are also not limited to using Windows only, there are many different Operating systems out, windows is just the easiest to use and most compatible OS for the PC. It's just not valid to say that PCs are cheap, because it all depends on what you put into them. The lower end PCs allow people to get online if that's all they want to do, some word processing too, and maybe a game every now and then. If every computer were as expensive as a Mac, there wouldn't be half as many people with a computer as there are today. I think it's great that anyone can come in and buy a computer for 300 dollars, it opens up technology to almost everyone.

I could go into greater detail, but im sure nobody will finish reading it anyway, plus there's really no reason to argue about it. I just had to say something.

(edited) I guess I should add, The most expensive computers in the world are based off the PC platform.

My computer (IBM ThinkPad TransNote) started out with a price tag of around 3,500.00. It was not going to be marketed to the general public. It was going to be offered to professionals and executives exclusively through a specifically targeted marketing campaign. At the risk of comparison to something else, of which I'm so fond, nobody bought the TransNote, so, I was lucky enough to grab one at 699.99. It's still as good a computer as if I'd paid 3,500.00. Higher price does not necessarily mean higher . . . well, anything.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 09-20-2002, 11:01 AM
I_Alcyone_I

Yeah no kidding. Look at hummvees and the new H2. Those things are incredibly expensive, and all you are getting is an oversized Power Wheels.