How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 07-31-2018, 11:01 AM
Waving yellow

Time for a change

Well, it is that time, ladies and gentlemen. I sold my 1994 Subaru SVX, and, picked up a Phantom Black, 2009 Audi S5, with a 4.2L V8, and, a 6 speed manual.

I was sad to see it go, but I have no regrets. The Audi is just...magical to drive.

Initially I bought the SVX because it was the cheapest Subaru I could find. I grew to really like the car. It was comfortable, and, it got a lot of attention, though, not from Subaru owners/enthusiasts.

My issues with the car were as follows:

I bought it to use as a winter daily. I ended up with a stunning, rust free, example. It seemed like an abuse to use such a nice car for such a dismal role. Like wearing an Armani suit while mowing the lawn. I believe it deserves a better life, as someone's weekend toy. A life free from the rigors of a daily commute, and, the accelerated wear-out of hard to find parts.

The second issue is the parts availability. As a daily, it needs to be reliable, and, don't get me wrong, the car is very reliable. It never left me stranded. The issue is, when the time comes that something does break, there is a huge question mark as to whether the part is obtainable, and, how long it will take to get it. This is a huge problem for daily transportation.

Yes the Audi has it's share of issues. Hell, 100kms/10 hours after I bought it, it gave me a CEL. The difference is, I can go to a dealer, or a parts shop and buy the parts needed to fix it. I can take it to a dealer, or a shop, and, they will work on it. These are luxuries I didn't have with the SVX.

Hopefully the new owner (who had an SVX many years ago), will take care of her, and, give her the life she deserves.

Anyways, ....how to close this? Hmm..

Words of wisdom; STAY AWAY FROM AMR! He is a thieving tosser, who will take your money, and, leave you hanging. I said it time and time again!

Old 07-31-2018, 11:06 AM
Happy SVX
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Time for a change

The Audi is a nice choice. Did you get the coupe or sedan? I would be curious to talk to you in a few years to see how you made out with reliability and maintenance costs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Spaceman View Post
Well, it is that time, ladies and gentlemen. I sold my 1994 Subaru SVX, and, picked up a Phantom Black, 2009 Audi S5, with a 4.2L V8, and, a 6 speed manual.

I was sad to see it go, but I have no regrets. The Audi is just...magical to drive.

Initially I bought the SVX because it was the cheapest Subaru I could find. I grew to really like the car. It was comfortable, and, it got a lot of attention, though, not from Subaru owners/enthusiasts.

I bought it to use as a winter daily. I ended up with a stunning, rust free, example. It seemed like an abuse to use such a nice car for such a dismal role. Like wearing an Armani suit while mowing the lawn. I believe it deserves a better life, as someone's weekend toy. A life free from the rigors of a daily commute, and, the accelerated wear-out of hard to find parts.

The second issue is the parts availability. As a daily, it needs to be reliable, and, don't get me wrong, the car is very reliable. It never left me stranded. The issue is, when the time comes that something does break, there is a huge question mark as to whether the part is obtainable, and, how long it will take to get it. This is a huge problem for daily transportation.

Yes the Audi has it's share of issues. Hell, 100kms/10 hours after I bought it, it gave me a CEL. The difference is, I can go to a dealer, or a parts shop and buy the parts needed to fix it. I can take it to a dealer, or a shop, and, they will work on it. These are luxuries I didn't have with the SVX.

Hopefully the new owner (who had an SVX many years ago), will take care of her, and, give her the life she deserves.

Words of wisdom; STAY AWAY FROM AMR! He is a thieving tosser, who will take your money, and, leave you hanging. I said it time and time again!

1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 08-01-2018, 06:37 AM
Hater

One of the rules to a happy life is never to buy a German car out of warranty.

i like Audi's, but .... nope.

good luck.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 08-04-2018, 02:59 PM
dances with roads

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark View Post
One of the rules to a happy life is never to buy a German car out of warranty.
I buy BMWs out of warranty. So far no unpleasant surprises.

Quote:
i like Audi's, but .... nope.
Yep. Nope here too. The only Audi I'd consider would be leased new. That cost is higher than I want to pay. So, no Audis for me.
2012 Tacoma 4wd v6 Access Cab
2013 Mercedes E350 4Matic Wagon
2005 STi - totaled after 10 great years
1994 SVX LSi 5spd - sold but not forgotten
2000 Legacy GT 5spd sedan - gone after 150K miles of bliss
Old 08-04-2018, 06:04 PM
51 Club

Registered SVX

We bought a used BMW which fortunately had an extended warranty. Over $9,000 in warranty covered repairs in the first year.
Old 08-04-2018, 06:26 PM
Happy SVX
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacky View Post
We bought a used BMW which fortunately had an extended warranty. Over $9,000 in warranty covered repairs in the first year.
Damn! I'd better stick with Japanese.
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 08-05-2018, 07:07 AM
Hater

Quote:
Yes the Audi has it's share of issues. Hell, 100kms/10 hours after I bought it, it gave me a CEL. The difference is, I can go to a dealer, or a parts shop and buy the parts needed to fix it. I can take it to a dealer, or a shop, and, they will work on it.
is that that dealer is close by? you don't mind being a frequent visitor?

seriously, good luck and i hope have some trouble-free driving with it.

1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 08-05-2018, 08:15 PM
dances with roads

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacky View Post
One must choose carefully.
2012 Tacoma 4wd v6 Access Cab
2013 Mercedes E350 4Matic Wagon
2005 STi - totaled after 10 great years
1994 SVX LSi 5spd - sold but not forgotten
2000 Legacy GT 5spd sedan - gone after 150K miles of bliss
Old 08-14-2018, 11:34 PM
Member Incognito

Registered SVX

Quote:

Congrats and best of luck! That Audi is fairly dependable, compared to other offerings in their line up; the A5/S5s have been pretty stable. The CEL is probably a misfire having to do with a coil pack, all eight of which are fairly easy to access and replace. But, if possible, I'd look into an extended warranty, just to be on the safe side.

"Flossie" - 92 black over pearl LS-L (sold)
"Gorgeous George" - 98 Audi A8 (traded)
"Gorgeous Genny" - 02 Audi S8 (sold)
"Green Giant" - 00 Land Rover Disco II
"Grey Wülf" - 05 Volvo S60 R
"Silver Surfer" - 92 black over liquid silver LS-L
"9 of 7" - 97 bordeaux pearl, formerly with Earl Steele

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: