Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Proven Engine Enhancements
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2007, 03:50 PM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
Those are matched to the head. Notice (although not on all model years) they are numbered so that they go back in the same place you took them off from. Also, notice the holes in the back edge of the head that line up with the axis of each cam--the holes that get half round plugs? Those holes provided the access for line boring of the heads and caps together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXMAN2001 View Post
Lan, end caps aka cam caps. The 3 caps that hold each camshaft. 3 for intake 3 for exhaust.
Old 12-16-2007, 03:53 PM
Just some dude.

Your high miles engine is probably fine. Most EG33's are high mileage and most of them are fine. It's not the mileage; it's the treatment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dessertrunner View Post
Mike how many miles was on this engine. The reason I ask is I am not sure if I should rebuild my existing engine for the SC (has 430,000 kilometers) or my spare (130,000). Did you check wear etc on the cam jounels. I thought my high K engine might only be good to use as a anchour in the end.
Old 12-16-2007, 06:06 PM

Mike not sure if right place to ask question but I will, how do you intend to handle the alternator/Aircon issue. What ideas do you have?
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX 255 K Wife (Want to stay Married so not allowed to fit SC)
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
1995 - SVX Green low k mint condiation.
1995 - SVX Rally car, ex Matts car. Now to be used on track.
1992 - SVX red & Black being converted to Mid Engine.
1995 - SVX Red 143,000 bit rough.
Owned 5 others Subaru back to a 1974 1400 GSR.
Old 12-16-2007, 06:16 PM
Just some dude.

I don't know what issue you are talking about. If you are talking about mounting of the alternator below in order to retain air conditioning with a blower set up and standard hood line I believe that is the only possible answer; however, this engine is not getting that set up. This engine is going in naturally aspirated for break in and the details of the forced induction system it will have are not yet being disclosed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dessertrunner View Post
Mike not sure if right place to ask question but I will, how do you intend to handle the alternator/Aircon issue. What ideas do you have?
Old 12-18-2007, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longassname View Post
and the details of the forced induction system it will have are not yet being disclosed.
sounds very interesting
Old 12-23-2007, 07:24 PM
Just some dude.

Ok, I got my hands on an oil pump. A new one would have taken forever to get with the holidays so I got a used one. Being a used part I gave it a thorough cleaning and a thorough check over and everything looked good:
(an impact driver is the correct tool to open the pump with--also for removing the philips head screws on the covers on the back of the block--also for the injector caps and fuel pressure regulator--don't expect to remove any of these screws with a screw driver)

tip clearance: .0055
case clearance: .006
inner rotor side clearance: .0013
outer rotor side clearance: .0013

I evenly coated all the friction surfaces with moly graphite assembly lube and reassembled the pump using blue threadlock on the screws. I got a good chemical clean on all the mating surfaces, installed the oring on the block, and applied an even thin coating of sealant in the fsm dictated pattern on the pump. After installing the pump I removed one screw at a time and re-torqued it with blue threadlock. For the water pump, I hung it and it's gasket on the block with all the srcrews just barely started and then one at a time took each bolt out and put it back in finger tight with blue threadlock--then torqued them all to 8.5 ft lbs in a criss cross pattern, repeating twice.

Old 12-23-2007, 07:38 PM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to sicksubie Send a message via AIM to sicksubie Send a message via Skype™ to sicksubie
Awesome........
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1995 Spec-ish Miata - track car
1957 CJ-5
Old 12-23-2007, 08:44 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Ditto....very, very clean work.
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 12-24-2007, 07:44 AM

Great job completing the long block. I am considering porting the oil input from the pump to the block. I am also replacing the pump rotors, but not the pump. I'm going to pick up my block this morning. I'll be following this thread closely to help me blueprint the assembly.
Old 12-26-2007, 08:26 PM

What are you using to clean the mating surfaces? I've always just cleaned them up as good as I can with acetone, but yours are kitchen clean!
Old 12-26-2007, 09:41 PM
242,000 mi on oem trans

Registered SVX
I know you know what you're doing, it's obvious from the surgically clean parts.
In the pic of the oil pump open, am I seeing the lube, or scratches on the surface of the rotor?

Current Stable By Age:
'89 Subaru XT6 Silver "Audrey" as in Hepburn
'96 SVX LSi #767Brilliant Red "Lil Red" Now on the front burner. Looking for a totalled, but running parts car.
Old 12-26-2007, 10:16 PM
Just some dude.

The majority of stuff is removed in acid wash which for block means hot tanking and smaller parts scrubbing with degreaser and water with brushes. Beyond that steel parts normally find themselves soaking in kerosene as do some aluminum parts that need some touch up. Mating surfaces are cleaned with a fine surfacing pad (kind of a scotch pad on a die grinder). Chemical films are removed with non-chlorinated brake cleaner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnInConcepts View Post
What are you using to clean the mating surfaces? I've always just cleaned them up as good as I can with acetone, but yours are kitchen clean!
Old 12-26-2007, 10:17 PM
Just some dude.

that would be moly graphite assembly lube

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhorse View Post
I know you know what you're doing, it's obvious from the surgically clean parts.
In the pic of the oil pump open, am I seeing the lube, or scratches on the surface of the rotor?

Old 12-27-2007, 09:41 PM
Just some dude.

New thermositors were installed. One goes in with thread sealant the other seals with a copper washer which comes with it. The thread sealer you want to use is the one that says "oem specified" on it.

Cam sprockets were torqued in the middle of the factory spec'ed range with blue loctite like pretty much every other bolt on the engine. The factory service tool was used to hold the sprockets while torqueing.

A thanks goes out to Gates for the new timing components provided through our Gates Racing sponsorship. I didn't use the cam seals they provided since I already had them from the overhaul gasket set but I'll provide the numbers anyway for those of you who may want to pick them up from your local auto parts store.

timing belt: t209
tensioner: t41213
cogged: t42119
smooth: t42118
cam seal: ks12711
crank seal: ks13427

Old 12-27-2007, 10:13 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
"Gates Racing Sponsorship"?? Do tell!
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker