SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2004, 03:27 PM
5 speeds rock! :D

HELP!- Hydraulic clutch cylinder resevoir question for 5 speeders

Hey guys:

Finally got back to my 5 speed conversion. I went the hard way with a hydraulic clutch, instead of cable driven.

I am using the hyrdaulic clutch cylinder from an Outback (I forget the year).

The pedal assembly determined the clutch cylinder location, so there was no negotiation as to where it got mounted.

I knew I would have to relocate the main wiring harness through the firewall, as it runs into the hydraulic cylinder. I had that licked, but then realized another problem.

The cylinder resevoir is very small and sits directly above the cylinder, which is very short. If I mount the cylinder directly to the firewall (and hence the pedal assembly), the resevoir would have to be cut into the bottom side of the unibody reinforcing under the cowl. Even if I could cut it in like that, there would be no chance of refilling the resevoir.

How has everyone else solved this? Is there a longer cylinder? A remote resevoir? What about shimming the cylinder off the firewall and extending the bolts and pushrod? (I'd need to shim it about 2" to clear the cowl area).

Thanks for the help.

-Paul

'92 LS-L Claret: '01 RS 4:11 5-speed, Exedy organic, lightened flywheel, and Koni/ GC
Old 09-26-2004, 07:25 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

Hi Paul

I was finally working on mine again today on that very issue.

I removed the insulation and mounted the pedal assembly. I marked the firewall from the inside with a scribe around the bolts for the cylinder and the rubber body of the cylinder. As you now know this intersects the main electrical harness hole in the firewall. I cut a contoured patch for the opening and really opened up the area of the wiring and master cylinder. I welded in the patch after cutting two approx. 1.5" holes with a Greenlee electrical cabinte punch. This hole clears the rubber body of the master cylinder and perfectly fits a rubber door electrical harness cover from my junker, which I'll split and run the wires through. I ground the patch smooth and filled the remaining seam with epoxy to seal it fully.

When I mounted the master cylinder, the cap fits just below the structural member you mentioned. It won't be fun to top up, but it will work.

Todd
Old 09-26-2004, 09:48 PM
Giong back to the beaters...

Do either of you have pics of the event? I will hopefull be doing this swap (maybe the 6 if I can find one for comparable price) in the next year or so.*edit* Never mind i found them in your locker.
89 240sx se red ~165k miles Gone and unknown
89 240sx se Black~185k R.I.P.
85 Toyota pickup ~205k R.I.P.
85 BMW 325e ~ Gone and unknown
85 Ford Mustang getting engine swap now!
05 Colorado ~108k Daily Driver
Old 09-27-2004, 03:59 AM

Hmmm- That pretty much describes exactly what I did, except I had different results. Even the master cylinder bolt holes look to be in the same place as the pictures in your locker. When I attempted to mount the cylinder, the resevoir DID NOT fit under that structural member. It would need about 1/2" more space to bolt up (and that would still mean the cap could not be removed). I don't know if my resevoir is taller (I can't imagine so, it seems awfully small).

'92 LS-L Claret: '01 RS 4:11 5-speed, Exedy organic, lightened flywheel, and Koni/ GC
Old 09-27-2004, 04:53 AM
Superbeast

Did you guys bolt in the Legacy pedal assembly or adapt the pedals to the SVX cage? I think using the Legacy (or WRX) assembly puts the resiviour lower so you can fill it. I've also noticed that on the newer WRX's the resivior is very low profile and comes out a little farther that most.
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 09-27-2004, 12:44 PM

I adapted the Outback assembly. I don't know how you would use the SVX cage- there were no accomodations for clutch pedal, other pedals are too big. The determining factor for positioning the assembly was the brake master cylinder. The assembly was mounted to the master cylinder identically to the SVX, except for modifying the pushrod length. This put the pedals in the right position (the brake pedal is in the exact same position, the other 2 are the right relation to it). I used the SVX mounting positions after welding part of the SVX cage onto the Outback assembly.

I didn't have access to a Legacy or WRX assembly- don't know if there is a difference from the Outback.

Newer WRX, huh? How new is newer?

Old 09-27-2004, 06:35 PM
Superbeast

The one I used came out of an Outback too, I think? The resivior comes straite up from the master right? I know on all WRX's maybe Foresters too. have a resivor that comes out forward and lower, it would probly be a perfect fit. Take a look under the hood of the next WRX you can find.
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 09-28-2004, 04:34 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Here's where mine went:
Old 09-28-2004, 07:25 PM

Earthworm:

I'm in the same location. How did your resevoir work out? What model did your cylinder come out of?

Old 09-29-2004, 01:07 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Mine was from a 2002 WRX. It fits but getting the cap on/off is a bit tricky.
Old 09-30-2004, 09:33 AM
I live in a drawer!

Send a message via AIM to alex_umn
My setup looks similar to Earthworm's, and it is indeed a bit of a pain to get off the resevoir cap; usually if I take that cylindrical thing off the firewall (two bolts) that resets above the resevoir, that makes things a bit easier to deal with.

fwiw!

2000 Specialized RockHopper A1 FS, converted to singlespeed 36:15.

I like my cars with too many gears and my bikes with too few...
Old 09-30-2004, 09:34 AM
I live in a drawer!

Send a message via AIM to alex_umn
Oh, and the resevoir I used was from a 1999 Legacy, I believe.

Go hydraulic setups!

2000 Specialized RockHopper A1 FS, converted to singlespeed 36:15.

I like my cars with too many gears and my bikes with too few...

Last edited by alex_umn; 09-30-2004 at 11:05 AM.
Old 09-30-2004, 10:14 AM
'E'

hey guys

i used late model wrx with the remote resevoir on my conversion access and clearence are fine now

'E'
Old 10-17-2004, 02:41 PM

found a great solution

The solution turned out to be very simple, and an easy conversion for any hydraulic 5 speeders who can't access their resevoirs.

The key is these barbed elbows.

I think they are 1/4". The top one is standard, the bottom one I have cut the barb off one end.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dsc04143.jpg (58.8 KB, 143 views)

Old 10-17-2004, 02:43 PM

I removed the resevoir. It is held in place by a small wedge pin. It gravity drains into the cylinder at the back edge. It pressure fits onto a rubber grommet .

The cut elbow will fit perfectly into this rubber grommet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dsc04142.jpg (58.1 KB, 140 views)