IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2003, 09:46 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Chicane
Pockets, better warm up the oven for your shoe.

http://news.com.com/2100-1040-943519.html

quote: Nielsen/NetRatings said that 70.2 percent of Mac users online have a college degree, compared with 54.2 percent of all Web surfers. That, combined with their longer surfing histories and their greater willingness to buy products via the Web, makes Mac consumers a prime catch for marketers, Kelly said
Well, now - that is interesting. And it would be even more interesting to try to determine the factors which caused the disparity. Unfortunately your superior attitude has turned me off the subject. Once again we return to your tact, or lack thereof. I'm willing to just say, 'whatever you say, Rob,' and dismiss your rants.

Quote:
Here's some more for you:

http://www.bandc.com/mactech/mac.html

REGARDS

- Rob
See, now you're going back to the same thing arondale did - a comparison of Macs and PCs. I don't really care what facts or figures you show me to prove that Macs are better. The fact remains that the PC has won out severely over Macs. Maybe Apple will claw some back. Maybe they'll die out. I don't really care - I use a PC and I'm happy with it. When I used Macs, I was a very unhappy person.

Concerning the increased tech support when one facility switched to PCs, I don't find that surprising in the least. It'll happen any time you change an entire group of people from one standard (which they're familiar with) to another (which they're not). I contend that the same thing would happen if the switch went the other way around - PCs to Macs. If we did that in any office I've worked in (none of which have used Macs), it would have been total chaos for years.

Again, I'm tickled effing pink that your Mac brings you so much joy. I hope it continues to serve you well. But I don't understand this perceived need for Mac users to prove their legitimacy. Macs are cool. Enjoy them - but please without the claim that you're a better person for it.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE

Last edited by Mr. Pockets; 12-11-2003 at 09:49 PM.
Old 12-11-2003, 09:58 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Nielsen/NetRatings said that 70.2 percent of Mac users online have a college degree, compared with 54.2 percent of all Web surfers. That, combined with their longer surfing histories and their greater willingness to buy products via the Web, makes Mac consumers a prime catch for marketers, Kelly said.

Let's see.........buying products via the Web (sight unseen, unable to touch, sniff or taste), makes one a genius.

Marketers (salesmen) are smarter than "the catch" (lemmings).

Thanks Kelly, I feel my IQ swelling already.

Ron (or are 'ya just glad to see me)?

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 12-11-2003, 10:00 PM
arondale

I never claimed to be better for using a mac. There you go with your false presumptions again. You asked for some proof, Chicane delivered. Now you are trying to discredit a professional study. How ironic. How predictable.

arondale
Old 12-11-2003, 10:48 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:

But WHY Aredub?! YOU JUST MADE A JUDGEMENT ON JOE AND JOHN BASED ON THEIR LIKES, DISLIKES, HOBBIES< ETC!

YOU JUST DID THE EXACT THING YOU SAID YOU WOULDN'T DO! YOU "JUDGED" THEM ON THE INFORMATION GIVEN TO YOU! Aren't you OFFENDED that YOU, the person who stated how OFFENDED they'd be if someone judged them by their computer, JUDGED other people based on haircut and beer preference?!?!?!?!

- Rob

You try so hard and fail just as hard.

I made my judgements based on actually spending a great deal of time with the types of people who possess the characteristics you described, not merely on information given me -- hard, fast experience. I didn't make my judgement based on their computer, their car, their beer preference or their pedigree. So, no, I did NOT do the "same thing I said I wouldn't do." Also, by your estimation, if we cut Joe's hair, put him in an Armani, stuck him behind the wheel of a BMW 700 series, took him to a hoity toity bar and ordered him a Heineken, his IQ would increase significantly. Hell, then, if we gave him a Mac, he'd be a God!
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 12-11-2003, 11:18 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Pockets, better warm up the oven for your shoe.

http://news.com.com/2100-1040-943519.html

quote: Nielsen/NetRatings said that 70.2 percent of Mac users online have a college degree, compared with 54.2 percent of all Web surfers. That, combined with their longer surfing histories and their greater willingness to buy products via the Web, makes Mac consumers a prime catch for marketers, Kelly said

Here's some more for you:

http://www.bandc.com/mactech/mac.html

REGARDS

- Rob

Ah, the good ol' Nielsens. First of all, if you swallow their stuff, I've got a bridge, in Brooklyn ripe for the pickin's.

And, a study by the Toledo University art department with 1999 as the LATEST statistic they offer. When was this study done?

You're gonna have to do better than this.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 12-11-2003, 11:52 PM
The Croupier

Say........ Any more SVX vids in this thread ....... This is the best SVX site there is BAR NONE.. So lets talk SVX shall we ..
Come on Peps show us ur vids the clips in my locker do look kinda sled like but i was just warming up. Troy got me getten crazy & if i can get a dub of the tape & get it transfered to digital its pretty kick ass. Dont be fooled if you're willing to DRIVE her the SVX really has some stuff & Puff in the snow..
03 Yamaha V-star custom /classic 3k
Old 12-12-2003, 12:18 AM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

re: a nickel vs two cents

i'm not a genius or anything (hell, i got my degree off the peel up lid off a 1980 can of SPAM.) but i fail to see the correlation between the level of a person's intelligence and being either a MAC/Windows/Linux user.

i've met lots of people who are mac users, windows users, and linux users. i've met an equal number of what some may consider dim users as well as bright users of them all.

to actually find out the intelligence level of MAC/Windows/Linux users, wouldn't you have to take a non biased sample of users for each particular group/field/speciality and test for their levels? mac engineers to windows engineers, mac graphic artists to windows graphic artists, mac secretaries to windows secretaries? for some strange reason, i believe that the intelligence ratio between the windows/mac/linux users would be similiar (the percentage of 'dim' mac users to 'bright' mac users would be similar to the percentage of 'dim' windows users and 'bright' windows users).

i'm sure of the following:

arondale knows many 'intelligent' mac users
mr. pockets knows many 'intelligent' windows users
brun and myself knows many 'intelligent' linux users
Chicane knows many 'dumb' pc users

but can any of the above show findings where someone has tried to seek the different levels of intelligence of the listed above users in relation to the percentage of market share that each platform holds?

isn't it kinda ignorant to say that because in the 95% (randomly picked number from previous posts) of windows users, 40% (random number i picked that may represent the one group of users) who only use the computer for web browsing and email correspondence use) are less intelligent than the 5% of MAC users in which 90% (also random number) utilitize the MAC for more than web browsing and email correspondence? yes that 40% sample of home windows users or secretaries may outnumber the whole entirety of MAC users, but does that make the 5% more intelligent?

you tell me.

back to the typical Harry babble...
me stupid.....me use linux and windows....me too cheap to buy MAC...and me need more tiles of toilet paper to poop on (thanks tri-umph)!!!!

btw - keep up the good laughs Ron, Landshark, and Immortal_Suby. those posts crack me up.

now to add to the crack up's and my contribution to videos to the video thread:

check out the MAC video
http://www.wiredvideo.com/clips/#applegamer
(for the dim - click on the words that say 'APPLE GAMER' that's underlined)

Last edited by Noir; 12-12-2003 at 12:23 AM.
Old 12-12-2003, 12:41 AM

re: hmm..

hmm..although my MAC experience is very limited. i may have to purchase one in the near future for a personal evaluation to see if it meets any of the needs for the people i work for. i don't have much experience, but are the text documents and spreadsheets portable? Are there accounting applications that are robust and process control applications that are readily available at a fair price?

Just curious since i don't have alot of MAC experience. How much is a decent price for a starter MAC and what would be a good recommendation. I'll tell my boss I need one for me to test with .

btw - from the sites i frequent, apparently there are quite a bit of exploits in the MacOS systems. i was checking it out from a security standpoint.

Last edited by Noir; 12-12-2003 at 12:44 AM.
Old 12-12-2003, 12:46 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to Andy
Quote:
those attracted to efficiency use them as well.

If it were not for Macs, I'd still be using an Amiga--my first pc
Now you are talking some sense

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I would be a young man again and had to decide how to make my living, I
would not try to become a scientist or scholar or teacher. I would rather
choose to be a plumber or a peddler in the hope to find that modest degree
of independence still available under present circumstances.
-- Albert Einstein, The Reporter, November 18 1954
Old 12-12-2003, 06:08 AM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Holy Crap guys!!!!! I went to bed yesterday and this thing had 2 pages.... Now it has 4.... All overnight!!!!! Man, you guys were really posting like crazy lastnight...

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 12-12-2003, 06:17 AM

yeah chris...one day you are going to wake up and say something similiar......

HOLY CRAP I JUST WOKE UP AND I'M 75. just you watch. mark my words man, luckily i'll be long dead and won't here ya whining about it .
Old 12-12-2003, 06:56 AM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets
. Macs are cool. Enjoy them - but please without the claim that you're a better person for it.
I use both. I have a PC and a Mac. Both are better at certain things. And I've never claimed using a mac makes you a better person. It seems you need to take a logic class Pockets. If you're a dumb person and you use a mac, it does not make you more intelligent. However, it seems that a large percentage of mac users are rather bright.

- Rob
Old 12-12-2003, 06:58 AM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Mummert

Let's see.........buying products via the Web (sight unseen, unable to touch, sniff or taste), makes one a genius.

Ron (or are 'ya just glad to see me)?
Hrm. Well, first off, I, a mac user, am intelligent enough to use quoting properly, instead of just copying and pasting what was said and creating a slightly confusing post.

Secondly, if you had read the story, what it said was that Mac users generally have MORE education than PC users, and make more money. Both of which go hand in hand with being more intelligent. I delivered proof.

- Rob
Old 12-12-2003, 07:02 AM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay
You try so hard and fail just as hard.
Ditto. You claimed it was wrong and that you do not judge people based on their appearances. I PROVED that you do exactly that.

Quote:
I made my judgements based on actually spending a great deal of time with the types of people who possess the characteristics you described,
I make my judgements based on spending a great deal of time with PC and Mac users.

Quote:
not merely on information given me -- hard, fast experience.
I didn't make judgement based on what I've read or heard, but based on hard fast experience.

And the main difference between the two imaginary people was an education, and lack of education. It's apparent that John was probably better educated.

- Rob
Old 12-12-2003, 07:42 AM

Quote:

Hrm. Well, first off, I, a mac user, am intelligent enough to use quoting properly, instead of just copying and pasting what was said and creating a slightly confusing post.

Secondly, if you had read the story, what it said was that Mac users generally have MORE education than PC users, and make more money. Both of which go hand in hand with being more intelligent. I delivered proof.

- Rob
Hey Rob, I don't see how much more intelligent you are by using quotes properly. It's like saying Einstein is dumb because he writes in scribbles on paper. If your confused because someone uses another way of quoting that you are not familiar with, you may want to re-evaluate your IQ.

What is your definition of 'MORE education'? A person with a college degree? Since when does having more 'EDUCATION' constitute more 'INTELLIGENCE'? Is a monkey more intelligent if you teach it how to paint or to use sign language?

So you believe that people who have more education will make 'MORE' money. Where do you get that idea from? Your mother? Father? I've had many friends graduate from Ga State, Ga Tech, and Emory University that are struggling now because they can not find a decent job. I make much more money then them and I dropped out of college. Another dropout friend of mine is making $85k a year as well. The Ducan Donut shop owner is making boocu bucks and I've spoken with him before. No college education whatsoever. How about all the small shop owners out there? How many actually have a degree and how many does not. Wasn't Bill Gates a dropout? How many of the graduates from most colleges and universities are jobless or is working at a restaurant? You really need to get out of that little enclosed bubble of a life you have and go see what the real world is like.

But I do agree with you on the point that people who own MAC's may have MORE money. People who are broke wouldn't spend so much on a PC (which a MAC is) as high priced as they are. Why spend more money on something that provides similiar functions when you can spend the money saved on something else? If you think that's stupid then you don't know anything about the real world. Why do you think Walmarts and Targets do well? Not everyone wants to shop at Bloomingdales and Crate & Barrel for items that provide the same function that Walmart sells.