IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2003, 06:47 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Chicane

GOD DAMMIT POCKETS! YOU ARE BEING STUPID!

Have I EVER ****ING SAID ANYTHING LIKE THAT?!?!

NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Absolutes are just asking for trouble. I've said GENERALLY the whole time. If I, a mac user, came across to you as ignorant, and all other mac users you knew were GENERALLY ignorant, you cannot say ALL MAC USERS ARE IGNORANT. You CAN say "Generally", they are ignorant.

Jesus christ.

- Rob
Mac users are generally ignorant and prejudiced against anybody who doesn't do things the way they do.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 12-11-2003, 06:49 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets
PS Using imaginary people, based on your prejudice, doesn't prove your opinions to be fact.
CORRECT! It does not prove my opinion. It DOES, however, PROVE MY POINT, which was you CAN effectively JUDGE someone by their hobbies, interests, clothing, choice of car, likes/dislikes. YOU CAN.

If you want to argue to be politically correct and idealistic, fine, go right ahead, but we all know you're full of crap. If you have a choice between going down a dark alleyway with a normal looking person or a 'gangsta' wearing fubu with one pantleg jacked up, we ALL know who you'd choose to go with, and that's JUST BASED ON APPEARENCE. You JUST made a judgement based on someone's outward appearence.

- Rob
Old 12-11-2003, 06:51 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:

CORRECT! It does not prove my opinion. It DOES, however, PROVE MY POINT, which was you CAN effectively JUDGE someone by their hobbies, interests, clothing, choice of car, likes/dislikes. YOU CAN.

If you want to argue to be politically correct and idealistic, fine, go right ahead, but we all know you're full of crap. If you have a choice between going down a dark alleyway with a normal looking person or a 'gangsta' wearing fubu with one pantleg jacked up, we ALL know who you'd choose to go with, and that's JUST BASED ON APPEARENCE. You JUST made a judgement based on someone's outward appearence.

- Rob
Using arbitrary situations with made-up people who fit your prejudices does not prove squat.

Anyway, you're ignoring my point. You claim that Mac users are generally more intelligent. I asked you to provide some sort of proof. Now can you, or can't you?

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 12-11-2003, 06:52 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay
Oh, and one more thing: based on my experience, not my opinion, given the option of hanging out for an evening with either of your two subjects, I'd rather swill Bud with Joe than sip Hiney with John, any day of the week. Joe (again, from experience, not opinion) would tend to be more "real." I appreciate "realness" in people, and loathe "plasticity."
But WHY Aredub?! YOU JUST MADE A JUDGEMENT ON JOE AND JOHN BASED ON THEIR LIKES, DISLIKES, HOBBIES< ETC!

YOU JUST DID THE EXACT THING YOU SAID YOU WOULDN'T DO! YOU "JUDGED" THEM ON THE INFORMATION GIVEN TO YOU! Aren't you OFFENDED that YOU, the person who stated how OFFENDED they'd be if someone judged them by their computer, JUDGED other people based on haircut and beer preference?!?!?!?!

- Rob
Old 12-11-2003, 06:55 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

Using arbitrary situations with made-up people who fit your prejudices does not prove squat.
Yes it does. It proves that people can and DO make judgements about other people based on outward appearances, hobbies, interests, etc.

Quote:
Anyway, you're ignoring my point. You claim that Mac users are generally more intelligent. I asked you to provide some sort of proof. Now can you, or can't you?
I've already provided sound rational ideas for why I have this opinion, but since you chose to ignore them, I am still collecting evidence to be unveiled at a later date, at which point you can eat your shoe.

- Rob
Old 12-11-2003, 06:56 PM
The Croupier

I keep coming back to this thread hoping for more SVX VID's
03 Yamaha V-star custom /classic 3k
Old 12-11-2003, 07:02 PM
arondale

If there were more Mac users on this board there would probably be more Mac VIDs!

To answer previous misconceptions:

Quote:
-a Muc is much more expensive than a PC of similar performance.
Yes. Macs are more expensive. But they are a superior product. The craftsmanship, reliability, the amount of high quality free software, and the amount of research and development to bring you a reliable, well thought machine with applications anyone can use is what you pay a premium for. Remember, ...usb, firewire, 802.11b wireless networking, CD burning, DVD playback, movie making, and retrieval of digital camera images all appeared on the mac first. Apple, in essence, embraces the technology and everyone else follows. Why would PC manufacturers spend millions on R&D when Apple does it for them? Everyone copies them anyways.

Quote:
Mucs are supposedly easy to use. Dumb people like things that are easy with less options. Less software and hardware to choose from = less decision making for the dull-witted.
Obviously you like working harder to get the same task done. Efficiency is best and macs are easier to use. Less options??? How many laptops offer a 17" display, DVD/CD burning, usb2.0, firewire 400, firewire 800, bluetooth, and a fibre-optic backlit keyboard...all at 6.9lbs? Nobody. Software?? You can pretty much get anything these days. There are over 6500 major applications, including Macromedia Studio 2004, to MS Office, to Unreal 2003, to Quicken, to Maya 3D, to Pro Tools. As far as hardware goes, you can buy professional audio cards to professional video cards (including the 9800pro and nVidia top of the line cards).

If you are worry about expansion, you need to read up on the new G5 architecture (http://www.apple.com/powermac/expansion.html). PCI-X, optical audio, analog audio, bluetooth, 500GB ATA storage, 8GB of 400MHz RAM, 1Gz frontside bus..and on and on...

Quote:
Mucs are pretty. the un-intelligent like to stare at shiny, pretty things. people with smarts like functionality.
Hmmm... and bright people like ugly computer cases...is that it? The new G5 is well thought out, has 9 computer controlled fans that only come on at certain times. It also has 4 air chambers, to cool more efficiently. If you like modding your case, it already has a window and you can put a cold cathode light in there if you like. As far as functionality, how many computers have both front and rear firewire and USB ports? How many incorporate handles into the case? Furthermore, because of the air chambers and computer controlled fans, it is much for efficient in cooling and is ultra quiet.

Quote:
Mucs are used by artistic types. you have artists, musicians, poets, etc. not exactly think tank material, here. "like, far-out, man!"
Yes, and also people that are think tanks, such as Bill Gates, George Bush, Al Gore, and Stephen Hawkins (we all know this guy is an idiot, right?)---all mac users.

arondale

Last edited by arondale; 12-11-2003 at 07:11 PM.
Old 12-11-2003, 07:15 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:

I've already provided sound rational ideas for why I have this opinion, but since you chose to ignore them, I am still collecting evidence to be unveiled at a later date, at which point you can eat your shoe.

- Rob
Well, they're your opinion, and not based on objective reality, so it's my prerogative to ignore them.

But, if you insist, fine.

Your first argument suggested that since there are more PC users, there are more dumb people. Well, sure, the number of dumb people increases - but so does the number of smart people. Just because the overall number of PC users increases 20-fold over the number of Mac users doesn't mean that only the number of dumb people increases. This is flawed logic on your part.

Your other argument consisted of a dissection of the different groups - Mac users vs PC users. But you provided no documentation for such a breakdown. You claimed PC users are mostly secretaries, 15-year olds and '40-year-olds who drive Camries,' while Mac users are mostly creative professionals. I would argue that there are just as many 'creative professionals,' engineers and scientists using PCs or something else. But we'd be going 'round in circles until one of us provided some sort of proof. The assertion that Mac users are more intelligent that PC users is yours, so the burden of proof lies with you.

Lastly, you claim that I am allowing my biases to cloud my judgement. You are the one backing up opinions with more opinions, and no facts.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 12-11-2003, 07:27 PM
arondale

Quote:
You claim that Mac users are generally more intelligent. I asked you to provide some sort of proof. Now can you, or can't you?
My testimony is my proof. If you visit a macworld convention or apple store.. talk with some mac folks. You will see what Chicane and myself are observing. Until you do this, you will not understand our statements. Of course, you want someone to hunt down scientific studies (which can simply be one's RECORDED observation), noted statistics, and so on. I'm not wasting my time. I don't care to change your opinion...only to voice my personal observations.

I never get viruses on my mac, nor do I get pop-ups, adware installs without my permission, spyware without my permission, cookies that retrieve personal data. I don't even get spam b/c my Apple Mail app filters it out...and I have about 15 email addresses. I get all of these positive externalities without buying or downloading any software to protect myself.

Yes, I use both... but if I had to choose one, it would be a Mac.

arondale

Last edited by arondale; 12-11-2003 at 07:31 PM.
Old 12-11-2003, 07:34 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by arondale
Of course, you want someone to hunt down scientific studies (which can simply be one's RECORDED observation), noted statistics, and so on. I'm not wasting my time. I don't care to change your opinion...only to voice my personal observations.
Fine. Then you're an offensive, ignorant person and proclaim it publicly. If you can live with that, so can I.

You came in and, without provocation, proclaimed that 'people who use the product I do are smarter than people who don't.'

You don't see what's offensive about that?

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE

Last edited by Mr. Pockets; 12-11-2003 at 07:36 PM.
Old 12-11-2003, 07:43 PM
arondale

I'm not resorting to name calling. It is only offensive to those that do not like my personal observation. Those that take my observations as an attack. You are acting like I am saying PC users are stupid or do not have the capacity to be intelligent or more intelligent than someone using a mac. This is far from my observation.

As far as ignorance: Look in the mirror.
Old 12-11-2003, 07:56 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by arondale
I'm not resorting to name calling. It is only offensive to those that do not like my personal observation. Those that take my observations as an attack. You are acting like I am saying PC users are stupid or do not have the capacity to be intelligent or more intelligent than someone using a mac. This is far from my observation.
By saying that Mac users are more, you are absolutely implying that PC users are less intelligent.

Or did you not mean to specify PC users, and just meant that Mac users are more intelligent than everybody?

Either way, you don't get to say that one group is superior without offending somebody who's in the other group.

And, as for your mirror comment, I am not the one claiming that Mac users are generally more intelligent. I realize that a person's intelligence has nothing to do with what kind of computer they choose or have to use at work. I don't see how that makes me ignorant.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE

Last edited by Mr. Pockets; 12-11-2003 at 08:01 PM.
Old 12-11-2003, 08:03 PM
Hater

Mac users smell like cat food.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 12-11-2003, 08:03 PM
arondale

Quote:
By saying that Mac users are more, you are absolutely implying that PC users are less intelligent.
As much as you would like to think that to justify your position, that is NOT what I am implying. Most computer users use PCs. I am not saying that PC users are less intelligent than mac users.

Listen up!

I am not making obervations about PC users! Got it? I am making observations about Mac users. Get it?

Shall I use an anology? If I say that those who drive a Ferrari are generally rich, am I then implying that those that do not drive a Ferrari are not rich? No, I'm not. Hope this helps.

arondale

Last edited by arondale; 12-11-2003 at 08:06 PM.
Old 12-11-2003, 08:06 PM
Hater

Mac users tend to not wash their hands after using the bathroom.

1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)