Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > ECU Tune Projects
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2008, 05:41 PM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide View Post
Chris,
Does this mean your "pulls" are done? Post up already!
-Bill
It'll probably be Monday or Tuesday before I can get the charts up as the shop isn't open today and therefore no one was there to email them to me... But I will get them up ASAP...

On another hand Bill, I think I need to talk with you about some Swaybar Solutions... When you get some free time can you let me know if you sell anything to tighten up the handling? Thanks

~ Chris

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 03-16-2008, 06:36 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMarineSVX View Post
It'll probably be Monday or Tuesday before I can get the charts up as the shop isn't open today and therefore no one was there to email them to me... But I will get them up ASAP...

On another hand Bill, I think I need to talk with you about some Swaybar Solutions... When you get some free time can you let me know if you sell anything to tighten up the handling? Thanks

~ Chris
Chris,
No problem! Drop me an email at william.e.cutlip@nasa.gov.
So, what was the max Hp and Tq on the dyno?
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 03-16-2008, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Chris,
No problem! Drop me an email at william.e.cutlip@nasa.gov.
So, what was the max Hp and Tq on the dyno?
-Bill
Email sent...

If I remember correctly the numbers after the ECUtune stage 1 were around 191wtq and 183whp... I should have the Dyno plots tomorrow sometime. As soon as I get them I'll post them up...

~ Chris

** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 03-18-2008, 08:17 PM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim
Quote:
Email sent...

If I remember correctly the numbers after the ECUtune stage 1 were around 191wtq and 183whp... I should have the Dyno plots tomorrow sometime. As soon as I get them I'll post them up...

~ Chris
Where were the peak numbers at in the RPM range?
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 03-19-2008, 04:48 PM

I'll post the charts up as soon as I get them from National Speed... I can't remember off the top of my head

~ Chris

Old 03-20-2008, 10:12 AM

Alright guys, because of unknown email issues I finally lost my patience and just told them to burn the graphs to a CD and send it to me... Should be early next week, maybe this weekend ... Again, I'm sorry to keep youguys in suspense for so long

~ Chris

Old 03-29-2008, 06:14 PM

Here they are... The dyno results from the ECUTune Stage 1.v5 swap...

I'll just post the compairison chart with the best stock run and the best swap run...

I know it looks like there isn't much of a gain there, and at first there didn't feel like there was much of one... However, after driving it for over 2 weeks now, I can safely say that there is a noticable gain in performance and smoothness... I'd even go as far as to say that I think I could touch 200wtq now. And it pulls alot harder all over the rev range...

Oh well, to those that are undecided, take these results for what you want. I was one of the people that wanted the results before I bought it. But now that I look at them on paper, the inprovments in drivability (which can't really be shown on the graph) is the main improvment... I haven't noticed a change in MPG yet and I also haven't hooked up the 87 octane map switch. Just can't be bothered to do it now... I still recommend it as a good upgrade for the $$$

~ Chris

Old 03-29-2008, 07:40 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Chris,
Just so we get the "history" right, the engine mods to your car are limited to the 1v5 chip and Stebro exhaust, correct? To this, we only need to note that your car does have a 5 spd.
Anything I'm missing that could have an affect on the whp? (weight of the tires/rims vs stock tires/rims?).
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
My Locker
Old 03-29-2008, 10:30 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
So, according to those plots you got at most 5 lb-ft of torque. The AF ratio looks like it does better at the top end. Other than that I don't see much. Perhaps you will see more as the computer learns to use more aggressive timing. Any chance you can ever get back to that dyno?
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 03-30-2008, 01:53 AM

Registered SVX
Education

A logical scientific explanation as to exactly how the computer will/can "learn" given time and as a result is able adjust so as to improve performance is required, rather than hopeful speculation. Hearsay does not constitute viable evidence.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 03-30-2008, 07:51 AM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
From Vishnu performance regarding the subaru JECS ECU. This article in particular describes the function in a boosted engine (WRX) so the default values are most likely different from the svx. It will be interesting to hear from Michael if this function is present in the svx ECU.

Quote:
There is something called Ignition Advance Multiplier (IAM). It represents, by some complicated algorithm, the average learned positive knock correction applied to the ignition maps. It’s represented in 1/8th degrees increments. 1 being the lowest and 16 being the highest (1/8 to 2 degrees in absolute terms).

The “happier” (knock free) the car is, the higher the number will be. Conversely, the lower it is, the more knock prone it is. This number, after ECU reset or ECU swap defaults to 8 and usually creeps up to 16 (if well mapped) through normal driving. Depending on driving characteristics, this can happen within a few hours or a few weeks.
Quote:
1. There is only one ignition timing table and one knock correction table.
2. The load axis for the fuel, ignition and knock correction tables is MAF, not MAP.
3. The ignition timing map is very conservative and relies on anywhere from 0–12 degrees of additional advance which is provided by the active knock correction system.
4. The knock correction tables resembles the ignition timing table with respect to having MAF and RPM as its X and Y axis. However, in its cells is maximum knock correction authority, not absolute base timing value. At low loads (off boost), knock correction authority is 0, meaning that no additional advance is allowed to be added upon the base ignition table values. Under boost (and especially around 5000rpm, knock correction reaches its maximum authority range (or around 10–12 degrees depending on ECU type). I can only presume that the engine calibrators at FHI determined this RPM range to be particularly “trouble-prone”, requiring the “go ahead” from the knock sensor to add in the full amount of timing (learning to advance timing instead of simply assuming that is okay to do so). Naturally, the underlying timing values in the ignition timing tables are unusually low at this rpm/load range.
5. Knock correction authorty range tapers off as RPM and Load goes up (above 5500rpm). I suspect this is because knock sensors tend to become inaccurate at higher engine speeds (unable to differenentiate between actual knock and normal engine noise).
6. The above fast learning procedure simply keeps the engine operating in a rpm/load zone where base timing is very conservative and knock correction authority range is relatively large. When the engine assumes this rpm/load, the active knock correction system readily adds in maximum positive authority range due to an absense of knock and (I suspect, engine noise). I could make this special reset not work by simply advancing base timing too aggressively in his rpm/load area. This would induce knock prematurely and never all the ECU to add in the allowable knock correction. Needless to say, I keep these rpm/load zones purposely detuned to facilitate this accelerated learning technique.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.

Last edited by immortal_suby; 03-30-2008 at 07:53 AM.
Old 03-31-2008, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Chris,
Just so we get the "history" right, the engine mods to your car are limited to the 1v5 chip and Stebro exhaust, correct? To this, we only need to note that your car does have a 5 spd.
Anything I'm missing that could have an affect on the whp? (weight of the tires/rims vs stock tires/rims?).
-Bill
Two things I forgot to mention earlier...

- Perrin lightweight crank pully (1.2lbs)
- Exedy lightweight flywheel (13lbs)

Other than that and the Stebro, and ECUtune chip, I have nothing else...

~ Chris

Old 03-31-2008, 10:46 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:

~ Chris
Chris,
thanks for providing this info. I'll use it in my SVX dyno run data base (fancy name for an Excel spreadsheet).
-Bill

My Locker
Old 08-08-2008, 05:27 PM

Re: ECUtune Stage 1v5

Quote:

~ Chris
Quote:
Chris,
thanks for providing this info. I'll use it in my SVX dyno run data base (fancy name for an Excel spreadsheet).
-Bill

Oh Bill, I almost forgot to mention (because I didn't have the data at the time)... The weight of my daily driving wheels is 22lbs + 23lbs for the Tires (Kumho MX's 225/40/18)... This equals roughly 45lbs total... My Autocross wheels (which haven't been dynoed yet) are RX-7 wheels (13lbs) and Azenis RT-615's in 225/50/16 (24lbs)... That equals roughly 37lbs total... I'm wondering how much of a gain I could expect with my AutoX wheels on... I know I can feel the difference, and the turn in is alot better (probably due to the Azenis stiff sidewall) though

~ Chris

Old 08-12-2008, 11:03 AM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
Re: ECUtune Stage 1v5

For the next 3 days an even better value!!!

Stage 1v5 is on sale for $189 from right now 1pm eastern time on August 12th to whatever time on August 16th I switch it back to the original price of $219.