Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > ECU Tune Projects
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2009, 07:49 PM
The car named NIGHTMARE

Send a message via MSN to Nomad
Re: Performance transmission build

Hi all ,
It's been a year now that i have that tranny ( with 3.90 ) and it's a great daily driver . I have the v1.5 chip , Stebro complete exaust, but still, will need a complete forced engine made by LAN when he will make them availlable .. so , still waiting for that !!
Old 03-19-2009, 08:23 PM

Send a message via AIM to SVXMAN2001

how many miles have you put on it?
Old 03-19-2009, 08:44 PM
The car named NIGHTMARE

About 14,000 Miles .
Old 03-19-2009, 09:13 PM

Send a message via AIM to SVXMAN2001

good deal, not sure if i recall correctly but didn't you elect to keep a stock spring in place vs. lan's upgraded spring, not sure what the spring was actually called or what it did, but having the stiffer lan spring caused shifts to be much more harsh....also i am assuming you had a tranny cooler installed, correct?
Old 03-20-2009, 12:15 AM
The car named NIGHTMARE

No tranny cooler , I have the stiffer spring for now , but i'll change that to have a smoother ride , he's sending me it as we speak !

Great service by the way !
Old 03-20-2009, 07:27 AM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input

I used to ask people if they wanted the stiffer 1-2 accumulator spring and everyone always said yes, probably because they couldn't imagine an svx transmission actually having such possitive grab any of its shifts could be characterized as "harsh." I no longer ask and no longer use a stiffer 1-2 accumulator spring; I still have one in my car though. If you have stock shift maps and accelerate lightly and then let off there are times the car will be shifting into 2nd while you are letting off. With the heavier 1-2 accumulator spring that shift could be easily be characterized as harsh. With my shift maps that doesn't happen because you don't go popping into 2nd gear too early to begin with. With my current valve body modifications and the oe spring the shift is still instantaneous but could never be characterized as "harsh."
Old 03-20-2009, 08:06 AM
The car named NIGHTMARE

ha well , maybe i'll just change the TCU now ... I didnt know that it would resolve that little point .... need to wait in April tough...
Old 03-20-2009, 06:25 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by longassname View Post
I used to ask people if they wanted the stiffer 1-2 accumulator spring and everyone always said yes, probably because they couldn't imagine an svx transmission actually having such possitive grab any of its shifts could be characterized as "harsh." I no longer ask and no longer use a stiffer 1-2 accumulator spring; I still have one in my car though. If you have stock shift maps and accelerate lightly and then let off there are times the car will be shifting into 2nd while you are letting off. With the heavier 1-2 accumulator spring that shift could be easily be characterized as harsh. With my shift maps that doesn't happen because you don't go popping into 2nd gear too early to begin with. With my current valve body modifications and the oe spring the shift is still instantaneous but could never be characterized as "harsh."

That is a good move, stronger accumulator springs make the engagement heavy all the time. It is better to let the throttle pressure ramp up the accumulator pressure to suit the torque that has to be carried.

Of course this will still be turned into a 'soft serve' by the TCU, unless a Quick Change is fitted to allow the box to make the changes the way the gearbox manufactures intended.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 03-28-2009, 11:33 AM
The car named NIGHTMARE

okay okay , I just paypaled Lan for a TCU ... So with his performance transmission @ 3.90 , and v1.5 , it should behave like a champ ? I'll post a note when i'll have tested it for a week or two ... Common LAN , it's been 10 min already ...WHERE'S MY CHIP !!!??
Old 03-28-2009, 03:08 PM

Thumbs up Re: Performance transmission build

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXMAN2001 View Post
Hey guys, are these cars your daily driver's? How many miles have you logged on the new transmissions?

I switch between SVX and Range Rover, but SVX is primary car. I drove from Orange County (NY) to White Plains at least twice a week in heavy traffic on Thruway and not a complaint about the tranny as a daily driver.

Since getting new tranny likely around 2,500 miles and no worries.

Hope this helps

Good people sleep peacefully in their beds at night, only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Old 04-19-2009, 05:29 PM
Never Forget

Registered SVX

i've put 1k on mine now...still wrks like a champ!

btw she is a daily driver....about 230 a week

94 SVX L AWD Conversion Barcelona Red First car and now being restored, 215xxx
Old 08-04-2009, 08:23 PM
Just some dude.

these boxes are kicking butt and partial rebuilds are available now...so if you have an svx get one of these transmissions to turn it into a high performance sports car instead of a pending break down.
Old 08-05-2009, 06:53 AM

Has anyone pushed any HP through this tranny? As you know I have a level 10 rebuild. I would be interested in a shift map which would allow the engine to reach peak HP with the cams LAN sold. Anyone know where these cams peak yet?
Old 08-05-2009, 09:50 AM

I'm planning on doing a tranny swap next month, and though I've been leaning more towards a 5mt swap my budget and my workspace are not looking promising for a job of that caliber, so I'm researching all options at this point.

What kind of warranty do you offer on your partial rebuilt transmission? And do you offer a package deal if I were to purchase an upgraded TCU with it? Also, if upgrading to a 4.11 would I still have to change out the rear diff just as if I were doing a 5mt swap? If so, which car would I have to pillage to get the diff?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by AyeJaye; 08-05-2009 at 01:12 PM.
Old 08-05-2009, 03:03 PM
Just some dude.

I think you'll find the factory 3.545 gears are the best gears for the car once you upgrade your TCU. There is no package discount though and there is no warranty. If you were to put it in and it didn't work right I would have you send it back to me to redo it. That is very unlikely to happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyeJaye View Post
I'm planning on doing a tranny swap next month, and though I've been leaning more towards a 5mt swap my budget and my workspace are not looking promising for a job of that caliber, so I'm researching all options at this point.

What kind of warranty do you offer on your partial rebuilt transmission? And do you offer a package deal if I were to purchase an upgraded TCU with it? Also, if upgrading to a 4.11 would I still have to change out the rear diff just as if I were doing a 5mt swap? If so, which car would I have to pillage to get the diff?

Thanks in advance!