SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-20-2003, 03:41 AM

Registered SVX
Cam belt query from Trevor.

As I no longer derive pleasure from wielding a spanner (Wrench) within the depths of a motor car, having become too old and one eyed, I am entrusting my SVX to a small local workshop to replace the timing belt. The shop has done work for before and they make the right noises in response to technical queries and I have faith in them.

Firstly I should make it clear that the average Kiwi mechanic knows his job, does good work and values goodwill. A job is fully guaranteed and responsibility accepted. That said the odd cowboy does exist.

The immediate reaction was, to be honest we have not previously done a timing belt job on an SVX but have I have lost count regarding legacies as we have done so many. We will not change a belt on a legacy unless we replace the water pump, the tensioner and all idler pulley bearings as part of the job. (Replacement of seals he did not regard as essential.) It is our policy to make sure a job is done once and only once. We guarantee what we do and do not expect a cam belt job to last less than a further 100 Kms.

On the basis of what I have read here I agreed 100% regarding the water pump but queried the idler pulley and tensioner issue. The reply was we will at your request not replace the idlers and tensioner but will endorse the invoice to the effect that our guarantee does not include any failures due to these components. We strongly recommend that you replace the hydraulically damped tensioner. Due to remaining in one position for lengthy periods they tend rust in the internals and seize. The guy had an SVX manual to refer to and obviously new Subarus.

What has been the experience here ? Is the SVX a different animal in respect of the idlers and tensioner when compared with the Legacy ? Just what should I replace, cost and all things considered ?

Input from those with experience in the subject would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation, Trevor *<)

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!