How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-25-2014, 06:28 AM

Registered SVX
Question 5 speed or 6 speed?

Just woundring what is the best swap for the svx. I have a old 1990 legacy tranny but want a tranny that is stronger than this one.
So is the best to go for the 5 speed Sti or is the best to go for 6speed?
Lsd or dccd tranny?

(i the legacy has 3.900 and i have a feeling that is just a lot of fuel when i drive it on the highway)

My car is stock and i think it also going to bee that in the future also.

Thanks for help.

My subarus:
1992 Svx LSI 5-MT(3.54)
1998 Legacy BG 2.5L GX
Old 07-25-2014, 07:11 AM

Registered SVX
Re: 5 speed or 6 speed?

I am probably wrong but I believe the stock SVX is 3:90. My 5 speed WRX tranny is giving me 27 high way and 17 ( in a very busy city with a lot of hills )
My opinion is if you go to a higher gear ratio the car will lack power.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:20 AM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX

Unless you have plans for more power, want to brag, have extra cash lying around, or just really want that 6th gear, get a WRX 5-speed. The 6-speeds are stronger, but they're also heavy, expensive, have more internal drag and are not as user friendly (gear whine, hate going into first, etc).

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 07-25-2014, 09:34 AM

If your 6MT hates going into first, there is something wrong with it. All of the 6MT I have driven, including mine, are smooth as butter in every gear. The 5MT are just as loud and normally are very notchy in each gear, and first can be a nightmare in any used one.

As for ratio, the SVX is 3.54 final drive. A WRX 5MT in the SVX will be a 3.90 final drive. Any 6MT swap will be a 3.90 final drive. No matter what you will be increasing the final drive ratio and the RPMS that you cruise at on the highway. Even worse would be the 4.44 auto swap.

The WRX (02-05) 5MT is the cheapest route to go by far if you can find one that has not been beat to hell and back.
Old 07-25-2014, 10:00 AM

Registered SVX

As for ratio, the SVX is 3.54 final drive. A WRX 5MT in the SVX will be a 3.90 final drive. Any 6MT swap will be a 3.90 final drive. No matter what you will be increasing the final drive ratio and the RPMS that you cruise at on the highway. Even worse would be the 4.44 auto swap.

Final drive on UK cars is 3.70, not sure about mainland European cars.
Old 07-25-2014, 10:30 AM

Registered SVX

Ok so the final drive gear on 6speed is the same as the 5speed. So the rpm will not going down whit a 6speed? Then the best option is a 5 speed sti tranny this is stronger then the wrx have i heard form the impreza guys.

Thanks.

My subarus:
1992 Svx LSI 5-MT(3.54)
1998 Legacy BG 2.5L GX
Old 07-25-2014, 12:32 PM
Happy SVX
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobymal View Post

Final drive on UK cars is 3.70, not sure about mainland European cars.
Something to consider is that the US WRX 5 speed does not need any modifications to the SVX rear diff even though the final drive is 3.90.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...ed+3.54&page=2

See post 7 which details the calculation
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 07-25-2014, 01:35 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean486 View Post
Something to consider is that the US WRX 5 speed does not need any modifications to the SVX rear diff even though the final drive is 3.90.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...ed+3.54&page=2

See post 7 which details the calculation
I dont have the orginal svx rear diff so i must change this anny way.
Bur if the 5speed have the same final gear then i think i go for a 5speed

My subarus:
1992 Svx LSI 5-MT(3.54)
1998 Legacy BG 2.5L GX
Old 07-26-2014, 12:46 AM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Alex, any of the STI 5 spds are too short geared and 4.44 final drive ratio which is much too short. I'm not sure if WRX 5 transmission overseas were stronger than the ones here, but otherwise an 06-07 WRX 5 spd would work well. Also cannot input what any 5 or 6 spd ratios are over there as compared to hear. The wrx did not come to the states until 02 and the STI until 04. much different than the other parts of the world. USDM 06-07 STI use a 3.54 rear ratio, all others are 3.90 (again, this is US and I can't comment on the rest of the world but I believe all others are only 3.90 diffs) USDM wrx are 3.90 front with 3.54 rear for 02-05 and 3.70 06-07 and I believe 3.70 on newer but not 100%. Again, this is USDM and other markets may be different.

As for the rear, if you use STI axles and the R180 diff, it works fine. Just have to do some slight cutting and grinding for the R180 to fit

Also, you cannot compare auto gear ratios to manual transmissions. Not even the final drive as the individual gears on an auto are much different than a manual, and then on top of that, there are many ratios used on Subaru manuals. To give an example, the outback/legacy GT geared 4.11 5 spd used in the US will end up with the same RPM cruising at highway speed as the 4.44 auto.

In fact, calling them final drive is actually improper as they are just differential gears. Final drive ratio is actually the tallest gearXdifferential ratio. Back before overdrive transmissions, these were one in the same and why the term sort of has stuck.

Sean, he's not in the US so totally different scenario.
Old 07-26-2014, 08:58 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
Alex, any of the STI 5 spds are too short geared and 4.44 final drive ratio which is much too short. I'm not sure if WRX 5 transmission overseas were stronger than the ones here, but otherwise an 06-07 WRX 5 spd would work well. Also cannot input what any 5 or 6 spd ratios are over there as compared to hear. The wrx did not come to the states until 02 and the STI until 04. much different than the other parts of the world. USDM 06-07 STI use a 3.54 rear ratio, all others are 3.90 (again, this is US and I can't comment on the rest of the world but I believe all others are only 3.90 diffs) USDM wrx are 3.90 front with 3.54 rear for 02-05 and 3.70 06-07 and I believe 3.70 on newer but not 100%. Again, this is USDM and other markets may be different.

As for the rear, if you use STI axles and the R180 diff, it works fine. Just have to do some slight cutting and grinding for the R180 to fit

Also, you cannot compare auto gear ratios to manual transmissions. Not even the final drive as the individual gears on an auto are much different than a manual, and then on top of that, there are many ratios used on Subaru manuals. To give an example, the outback/legacy GT geared 4.11 5 spd used in the US will end up with the same RPM cruising at highway speed as the 4.44 auto.

In fact, calling them final drive is actually improper as they are just differential gears. Final drive ratio is actually the tallest gearXdifferential ratio. Back before overdrive transmissions, these were one in the same and why the term sort of has stuck.

Sean, he's not in the US so totally different scenario.
So then i must go for wrx tranny then if i go tor 5 speed? And if i will go for 6speed then the sti tranny is best option? Have i read this correct then?

My subarus:
1992 Svx LSI 5-MT(3.54)
1998 Legacy BG 2.5L GX
Old 09-24-2018, 04:39 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex-svx View Post
So then i must go for wrx tranny then if i go tor 5 speed? And if i will go for 6speed then the sti tranny is best option? Have i read this correct then?
Jeg har snakket til deg på facebook, det synes dette er litt mer om hva du arbeider med. Hvis du ikke har den opprinnelige SVX baksiden differensial eller cv-bakaksel som kan du få som deler svx du nevnte på facebook. Når du har delene kan du ta det bakre avviker av gule bilen, trekke ut eldre ringen utstyret med transportør boltet til det så unbolt bærer og ta svx transportøren, som du unbolted fra svx's ring gear, bolten det til 3,9 ring gear og sette den eldre diff sammen og erstatte den i den gule svx, deretter deler svx akslinger vil skyve i og fungerer som de skal.