IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-03-2002, 08:38 PM
trentak

Unhappy New owner and unexpected problems

Hello,
I'm a new owner of a 92 pearl white SVX. I bought this car in mid october and have spent about 4,000 in repairs. Let me start of my saying Subaru did a crappy job designing the tranny in theses cars. Parts are not easily found and you can hardly find anyone to work on them. So far I've had a front axle replaced, door lock modulator, bushings, and a new tansmission. Other then the transmission I can expext these problems but the tranny is unacceptable. This car only has 110,000 miles on it and I expect the tranny to last alot longer then this. I guess this is the going rate for these transmissions. I've read on here the several of you've had problems around this milage. The problem I had was when the car went from 2nd to 3rd if kind of reved to about 4,ooo rpm. Then one day when I was about 200 miles away from home I was at a stop light steped on the gas and the engine just reved. Nothing!!! So I switched it in to manual and it barely went. Once it got through the first couple of gears it seemed fine it was just starting I was having a problem with. So I get back home take it to what I thought was a reptuable transmission shop and well I have seen the car since the week before Thanks Giving. About 3 weeks ago I thought it was fixed but when they went to test drive it it didn't want to switch into 4th gear. So he took it back in the shop to see what the deal was and it turns out that there was a wiring harness that went to the transmission that the wires were bare. When the wires hit the body it shorted out a cilinoide. So this shop doesn't do electrical work that goes to the transmission so they sent it to a shop that did. Well this shop can't repair the wires becasue this would require them to take the tranny out to install them and they can't take it out so they sent it back to the place that installed the trans. Well of course the cheap bastards that they are they wanted to find these wires out of a junk yard (yeah right and there were only like 14,000 SVX's in the US) becasue to get these wires you have to order a kit wich is 1,400 dollars and Ammco (tranny place) wasn't going to pay for that so they were trying to do it cheaply. So needless to say my experience hasn't been that great and if you guys have any leagal advice, iformation about this problem please repy back. Oh and by the way I still don't have the car back. Like I said it's been since the week before Thanks Giving.