Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX > Political Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2006, 06:53 AM
Bipa

If I were President, I would.....

So far we've mainly been talking about what's wrong without any real concrete suggestions about solutions and fixes. So how about taking a different approach for this thread.

If you were in charge, what policies would you pursue? What sort of legislation would you try to get passed?

It can be foreign or domestic, but try to keep it within bounds of reality, ok?
Old 06-16-2006, 07:24 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipa
So far we've mainly been talking about what's wrong without any real concrete suggestions about solutions and fixes. So how about taking a different approach for this thread.

If you were in charge, what policies would you pursue? What sort of legislation would you try to get passed?

I'd give myself a big freaking raise, for having to put up with all the crap people gave me about my policies...no matter WHAT they were, as we (americans) as a whole are a bunch of whiners, and whine no matter what direction our leaders go.....that's my take on politics....that's why you couldn't PAY me enough to be a politician........but that's just me....

(Probably also why we don't exactly get the "Cream of the crop" in politics too)
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 06-16-2006, 09:51 AM
Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipa

why don't you start, Bipa? you are full of criticism of a country you don't live in, so how about telling us how you'd do it differently?

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 06-16-2006, 10:04 AM
Poor College Racer

Send a message via AIM to drivemusicnow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark
why don't you start, Bipa? you are full of criticism of a country you don't live in, so how about telling us how you'd do it differently?
Are you hinting that you would not change anything? seriously, I'd like to hear your opinions.

Here are my top 5 things.

1) Push for legislature in order to reduce/eliminate the amount of frivlous BS lawsuits that happen.
2) Start working towards a new "UN" as the UN is horribly inefficient and ineffective
3) Foreign policy. Let's try to not piss of most of the world. And if a situation arises like Iraq 8 years ago. Come up with a plan, and follow it. Don't do the bull**** "oh they're not letting our weapons inspectors in so we'll just sit here for 3 years not doing anything. Clearly announce cause and effect (you do this, this happens) through the UN (or replacement). I think the idea of diplomacy has been lost recently.
4) reduce gov't spending. reduce gov't size. Let's face it... If the gov't were a business, they wouldn't last a year without someone else able to do all of the same things more effectively.
5) Change the tax law such that it is simpler, and more effective. I'd personally think that a sales tax based system would work better.

Now, obviously a President can't really do all of these things, however I think through influence and bribery they could be accomplished.

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
90 Red Eclipse GSX track ho
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker
Old 06-16-2006, 10:14 AM
Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivemusicnow
Start working towards a new "UN" as the UN is horribly inefficient and ineffective.
i'd go even further - i'd kick the UN out of the US, and let some other sucker country host them. and i'd collect on all the unpaid parking tickets accrued by the deadbeat diplomats.

also as president, i would have taken over Saudi Arabia by force, and then i'd charge $50 for an all-day pass to Mecca. kids under 5 get in free, however.

Old 06-16-2006, 01:58 PM

Alan I'd Tell You What You're Full Of But It Would Be Censored

Alan:
"why don't you start, Bipa? you are full of criticism of a country you don't live in, so how about telling us how you'd do it differently?"

Instead of making inane comments like this, why not take a little time to think about the way things are and what you think might really make things better. Bipa has enough respect and courtesy to ask for your honest opinion and your response is irrelevant (geographic location/citizenship) and rude:" you are full of criticism of a country you don't live in,".
Bipa provides the most cogent and well documented responses to any question she addresses, so her positions are much appreciated by almost everyone. I know that we almost allways disagree with Lee and we get into some intense exchanges...but I know (Well OK, I'm pretty sure) Lee respects Bipa because she does her homework.
You, on the other hand, just make thoughtless comments, often off topic, that rarely advance the discussion and are usually without merit.
Debate with FACTS, not BS.
WGJ
Old 06-16-2006, 10:47 PM
Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by WGJ
Instead of making inane comments like this, why not take a little time to think about the way things are and what you think might really make things better.
first of all, thanks for your 2 cents, Mr. Helper, but i wasn't asking you anything. until you can grasp simple concepts such as the quote button, i'll refrain from asking for your opinion.

so my comment was inane. how was it inane? Bipa is highly critical of our government, creates a thread asking for suggestions for solutions and fixes, but suggests none of her own, and i asked for HER suggestions.

Quote:
Bipa has enough respect and courtesy to ask for your honest opinion and your response is irrelevant (geographic location/citizenship) and rude:" you are full of criticism of a country you don't live in,".
my response was completely relevant, and not rude at all. she criticizes the US all the time (fact), and she doesn't live here (fact). i don't understand your arguement.

Quote:
You, on the other hand, just make thoughtless comments, often off topic, that rarely advance the discussion and are usually without merit.
Debate with FACTS, not BS.
i'd rather debate with some humor than page upon page of copy-n-pasted stuff that nobody reads anyway.

Old 06-17-2006, 03:47 AM
Certified Porschephile

Here's mine:

1. No welfare after 3 years
2. No welfare unless you are a US citizen
3. Kick Puerto Rico to the curb, they can be thier own country
4. Must be able to speak and write English to be a citizen, vote, and drive
5. Kick the UN to france
6. Drill for oil in Alaska
7. Increase the CAFE to 30 for cars and 25 for trucks before the current 2015 deadline
8. Increase mandatory sentancing guidlines
9. Tort reform i.e. stupid lawsuits
10. 3 term limit in congress
11. I'd love to see mandatory military service like Switzerland
12. stop bending the will of the majority so the minorty doesn't feel left out (that covers any issue, not race)
13. Mass deportions
14. A new "modern era" constitution and a serious revamping of the bill of rights

That's a start
Old 06-17-2006, 10:47 AM
Poor College Racer

Send a message via AIM to drivemusicnow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigershark
Here's mine:

1. No welfare after 3 years
2. No welfare unless you are a US citizen
3. Kick Puerto Rico to the curb, they can be thier own country
4. Must be able to speak and write English to be a citizen, vote, and drive
5. Kick the UN to france
6. Drill for oil in Alaska
7. Increase the CAFE to 30 for cars and 25 for trucks before the current 2015 deadline
9. Tort reform i.e. stupid lawsuits
10. 3 term limit in congress
11. I'd love to see mandatory military service like Switzerland
12. stop bending the will of the majority so the minorty doesn't feel left out (that covers any issue, not race)
13. Mass deportions
14. A new "modern era" constitution and a serious revamping of the bill of rights

That's a start
I vehemently disagree with number 14. That is what the amendments are for. Just because the supreme court justices can't figure it out, doesn't mean that the document is to blame.

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
90 Red Eclipse GSX track ho
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker
Old 06-17-2006, 11:44 AM

Send a message via AIM to Suby Fan Send a message via MSN to Suby Fan Send a message via Yahoo to Suby Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigershark
Here's mine:

That's a start
does that include drug charges? because that f-ed up already... they need to bedecresed... if we really care about getting people clean we would send tehm to drug teatment insteed of just locking them up for 10 years for having a bag of weed.... think about it... one gets in to drugs... goes to jail.. that on their record for a very long time making hard for them to rent get a job ect. ect. WHAT DO YOU THINK THEY ARE GOING TO TURN RIGHT BACK TO WHEN THEY GET OUT OF JAIL?!?!?! DRUGS!!! ITS THE ONLY THING LEFT THAT CAN BE DONE
need work done? Have tools will travel
Old 06-17-2006, 12:24 PM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

Let's see, to do list:

-I'd build a giant wall around the United States.
-Put landmines on the outside of the wall.
-Put up cameras and joystick turrets at 15 yard intervals.
-Arrest all the illegal mexicans and put them on a cruise ships destined for Iraq and Afghanistan.
-Reduce dependence on oil.
-Build more nuclear plants for power.
-Quit trading with China.
-Free Japan and Germany.
-Make Canada the 51 state.
-Build more nuclear bombs and develop an ABM system.
-Periodically bomb random countries to keep them from becoming too strong.
-Give convicts parachutes and fly them over hot zones. Drop cases of guns and ammo after dropping off convicts.
-Quit aiding foreign countries financially.
-Make goods in the United States FOR the United States like FUBU.
-Provide health insurance to all citizens.
-Continue draining brains from other countries (by force if necessary).
-Enact the 3 strikes program. If you screw 3 times, you get shot. No prison term longer than a year.
-Kill corrupt state and federal government employees.
-Raise taxes but provide better social services.
-Legalize prostitution.
-Outlaw organized religion.
-Outlaw drugs, alcohol, tobacco, and MSG.
-Impose price ceilings (low) on pharmaceutical drugs.
-Improve the educational system and require multilingual education. (3 languages minimum).

edit:
-To graduate from university, all students must make a B or greater on all Math and Sciences available.

will add more later.

Last edited by Noir; 06-17-2006 at 12:29 PM.
Old 06-17-2006, 01:43 PM
Which manual is "that" in??

1: Balance the budget to a slight amount in the green. Allow time and normal inflation to bring our GDP to Debt ratio back in line.

2: Ain't no time for #2 in a normal 4 year election, and succeeding in #1 just destroyed any hope for a second term. I've done ticked off too many people in both parties by knocking off #1.

3: Hope like he11 somebody doesn't succeed me that will throw it all away like we just saw happen.

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.
Update: 09 January, and still not in jail! Wassup??

1992 Teal LS-L - 160k (Now new and improved with perfect paint!)
Old 06-17-2006, 01:48 PM
Which manual is "that" in??

Oh yeah!

4: Pull a Chris Rock, and make bullets cost $3,000 a piece. Crime would decrease dramatically, and as a side bonus, it would tick off all the neo-cons.

Yeeeeee---Haw!!!

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.
Update: 09 January, and still not in jail! Wassup??

1992 Teal LS-L - 160k (Now new and improved with perfect paint!)
Old 06-17-2006, 02:25 PM

Send a message via AIM to Suby Fan Send a message via MSN to Suby Fan Send a message via Yahoo to Suby Fan
thats not a bad idea... it would keep "gun collectors" from going postal
need work done? Have tools will travel
Old 06-17-2006, 03:29 PM
Certified Porschephile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suby Fan
thats not a bad idea... it would keep "gun collectors" from going postal
See, I thought you were just uneducated on the way things are, now I see you are totally off your rocker. "Gun collectors"? Yep, it's the guns killing people, not the idiots holding them. Here's a tid bit for you to ponder. That means to think about. More people are killed by drunk drivers then firearms. That includes the 2 killed by Ted Kennedy. I'm not trying to call you out, but come on, your post made no sense what so ever.