Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2001, 01:54 PM

Send a message via ICQ to andivic Send a message via AIM to andivic Send a message via Yahoo to andivic
Power mode for SVX

Hi members:

My name is Andy and I just recently have problem with my power mode. Like a month ago i still have my power mode light on when i had fast accelaration, since last week the power mode light doesn't light up anymore, but I can still feel the car goes fast when i press the petal hard. Strange thing is it only lights up when i have key on. Anyone have any idea of how to fix this problem
Old 07-27-2001, 02:56 PM
kvnobrien

Hello,
There is nothing wrong with the power mode light most likely. It's probably your driving habit. Try going about 30 miles an hour, then take you foot off the gas for a second and then floor back on all the way. It has been stated that, the quicker you depress the pedal, the better chance you'll get at seeing that power light come on. It doesn't really do much for you, I think, but if you search through this message board you may find out what power mode actually does. (Magical +30 HP increase)

ps - i hope i don't have to put the flame suit on for this one.
kev
Old 07-27-2001, 03:35 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by kvnobrien
Hello,
There is nothing wrong with the power mode light most likely. It's probably your driving habit. Try going about 30 miles an hour, then take you foot off the gas for a second and then floor back on all the way. It has been stated that, the quicker you depress the pedal, the better chance you'll get at seeing that power light come on. It doesn't really do much for you, I think, but if you search through this message board you may find out what power mode actually does. (Magical +30 HP increase)

ps - i hope i don't have to put the flame suit on for this one.
kev
Power mode simply allows the transmission to hold shift points to redline. It is not a "boost" function.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 07-29-2001, 02:48 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Power hungry

I posted an answer to this on Yahoo a couple of days ago, text below:

Hi Andy

Check if the MANUAL light is showing on your dash lights.

If you have accidentally engaged the lower button on the shift lever, this puts the electronics of the tranny into MANUAL mode. This is designed to hold higher gears to avoid wheelspin in slippy conditions.

For safety reasons, if it is engaged, the kickdown will not engage POWER mode, which would defeat the purpose.[your car will still accelerate very well because of the torquey engine, but in a high gear]

Joe

Let us know if you sorted the problem. It would be easier to activate POWER under acceleration in lower gears than at highway speeds. This is because at lower speeds the tranny ECU has a number of gears to choose from to get the desired effect, ie faster acceleration. At higher speeds, the ECU may have one, max two ratios to downshift into. For this reason, if you have not very quickly buried the pedal to the carpet, the ECU will "decide" the available power is adequate, and will not engage POWER mode.

BTW, please do not confuse the MANUAL shift map in the transmission ECU with manually moving the lever to change gear yourself. There have been quite a few posts on lately that seem to confuse these two modes of gear change. They are poles apart.

MANUAL mode that lights on the dash is very gentle, designed to shift up quick and avoid wheelspin.

Manually shifting yourself has the potential to blow seals in the tranny and can cause heavy loads downshifting at the wrong time. It can be hard on the box and drive train, and is frowned on by most manufacturers.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 08-09-2001, 08:17 AM
picklesbitch

Re: Power hungry

Quote:
[i]

MANUAL mode that lights on the dash is very gentle, designed to shift up quick and avoid wheelspin.

[/B]
According to my owner's manual, which I haven't read in a long time, Manual mode locks out first gear for low traction situations. If you shift into 3rd gear, your trans. bypasses 1st and 2nd, only using 3rd and 4th.
Mike
Old 08-12-2001, 12:25 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Re: Re: Power hungry

Quote:
Originally posted by pickles*****

According to my owner's manual, which I haven't read in a long time, Manual mode locks out first gear for low traction situations. If you shift into 3rd gear, your trans. bypasses 1st and 2nd, only using 3rd and 4th.
Mike
Mike,
There may be differences for different years, but most of what you are saying is what my '92 Owner's Manual says.

Only difference is, my OM on page 6-11 says MANUAL mode only works in "2" or "3". In "3", it holds third, but will shift to second during starting or low speed, but in "2", it holds second.

This all implies you won't get first gear in MANUAL mode. Also, the mode will only select second for "low speed driving", so the shift point up to third in "3" is at low revs to avoid wheelspin.

Reason I mention this to Andy, is, if the MANUAL light bulb on his dash is gone [mine lights up as a yellow MANU], he may have the MANUAL switch on his shift lever pushed in without knowing it, result, his POWER light will only light on switch-on.

Andy, if you are reading this, push on and off the lower switch on your lever. If you do not see the MANU light switching on and off on the dash, that bulb is gone. Look closely at the button. If it is in the inner position, MANUAL mode is on. Releasing MANUAL mode lets the button out a bit, maybe a quarter of an inch.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl