How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 03-21-2024, 05:19 PM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX
Re: What have you done to your SVX (or other Subaru) today?

Agree with Noriyasu’s assessments.

Replace the clamp. clean up the area well. Monitor, then catch up on the deferred maintenance.
Old 03-23-2024, 03:20 AM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX

Replaced the radiator cap today and checked on the shop making my new heater core. My other project car is waiting on parts, so I'm going to pick up working on the intake manifold and hoses tomorrow.
Old 03-23-2024, 09:29 AM

Today I polished the repainted intake duct for my friend's Legacy.

It's paint had been destroyed by strong sunlight and UV rays. Paints on plastic parts seem to be damaged more quickly than metal parts.

I usually don't use nitrocellulose paints like Holts or Soft99. I always order paint from a shop that mixes paint for cars. They mix colors based on color codes.

I painted it two weeks ago, so it's hard enough. Sand with fine sandpaper and then polish with compound. It's a job that requires patience.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg before.jpg (37.2 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg after.jpg (95.4 KB, 16 views)
Old 03-24-2024, 07:28 PM

Today I replaced the steering rack boots and end boots for my brother's SUBARU. His car is a small car called VIVIO. Although it only has a displacement of 660cc, it is called a famous car in Japan because of its success in rallies. I don't think it was sold overseas, so it may not be well known.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjiszBhbF0w

I get a used gearbox before removing it and examining it to see if it was repairable using general oil seal.

His steering gearbox needs repair due to an oil leak, but the genuine repair kit is no longer available for '98 manufactured car. Fortunately, I was able to obtain a used gearbox in good condition. There are no oil leaks on the rack, and there are no loose tie rods or ends.

You can get new boots from a famous 3rd party boot (rubber) manufacturer in Japan at a much lower price than genuine boots. This car sold so much more than the SVX that there are plenty of alternative parts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_8546.jpg (98.4 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg kw3_boots.jpg (98.5 KB, 8 views)
Old 03-25-2024, 05:34 PM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX

Noriyasu, the replacement steering rack looks good! I have to unwrap mine as its been on the shelf for one year.

The paintwork also looks great. I need to do the right mirror on my SVX due to failing clearcoat in a small spot.

Last night, I pulled apart the ruined connector and aftermarket splices someone had added to the door lock module connector. I also test fit the used door lock module. I found a replacement connector and pins, and ordered them.

I also have to swap in the cruise control unit, soon.

Over the weekend, I spent time finishing up the items left loose by the body shop on my 1989 BMW. The subframe had to come out, all suspension and bushings were fitted improperly by the shop. After a few days, I reinstalled the subframe correctly and with new hardware where needed. To finish that car, I am waiting on sway bar bushings and a driveshaft support bearing.
Old 03-25-2024, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike621 View Post
Noriyasu, the replacement steering rack looks good! I have to unwrap mine as its been on the shelf for one year.

The paintwork also looks great. I need to do the right mirror on my SVX due to failing clearcoat in a small spot.

Last night, I pulled apart the ruined connector and aftermarket splices someone had added to the door lock module connector. I also test fit the used door lock module. I found a replacement connector and pins, and ordered them.

I also have to swap in the cruise control unit, soon.

Over the weekend, I spent time finishing up the items left loose by the body shop on my 1989 BMW. The subframe had to come out, all suspension and bushings were fitted improperly by the shop. After a few days, I reinstalled the subframe correctly and with new hardware where needed. To finish that car, I am waiting on sway bar bushings and a driveshaft support bearing.
Hello, your two German cars also look attractive.

Recently, my cars have been in generally good condition, so I haven't done any major maintenance on them. Removing the subframe is quite a process. When restoring my wife's small car, we had to remove all the parts from rear-end for rust removal and welding.

Her car R1 is the successor to the VIVIO and is Subaru's last light-weight small car. Only about 1,700 AWD supercharged models were registered. It's a very rare car. A special limited edition made of Alcantara and leather, reminiscent of the seats of the SVX.

This year, I'm planning to overhaul the spare engine I acquired earlier. We live at a high altitude, so a supercharger is very helpful. The surrounding area is mostly sloped, which is difficult for cars with small displacement, but this one runs very well.