Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Proven Engine Enhancements

Old 09-16-2009, 04:41 PM

SVX Engine cooling "Again & Again"

Okay guys I am going to be a pain in the A__ and stat this all over again. My reason is that at this time I don't know anywere in the world that someone has an SVX engine that stays cool at high revs. Right now we have blown 1 engine due to heat and my friend Steve with the buggy has blown 2. If we asked around I am sure the total will be over 10 engine that have either been blown completly or just head gaskets.

What I have found recently is the following:-
- Multiple pass radiator "DID NOT" slove the problem.
- A bigger Radiator "DID NOT" slove the problem (buggy radiator is 3 times bigger then my PBR).
- During the recent desert crossing I notice on my 3 tempreture guages that the water going into the top of the radiator was at 90C the water coming out of the radiator was at 70C but the dash temp was overheating, above 115C. Didn't check at the time but after noticed cool had spillied from the overflow tank.

So the big question is what do we now know.
The only way my over heating issue can happen is that the left head was overheating as that is were dash & ECU temp guage is. It is also possiable that is the water boiled in the left head the pressure would go up and would cause the coolent to overflow. This can still happen when the radiator is cool because tempreture and pressure behave differently.

Now we are cutting the cross pipe and will post photos of the job in the next couple of days.

Will keep you posted.
Tony
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX 255 K Wife (Want to stay Married so not allowed to fit SC)
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
1995 - SVX Green low k mint condiation.
1995 - SVX Rally car, ex Matts car. Now to be used on track.
1992 - SVX red & Black being converted to Mid Engine.
1995 - SVX Red 143,000 bit rough.
Owned 5 others Subaru back to a 1974 1400 GSR.

Last edited by Dessertrunner; 09-16-2009 at 04:46 PM.
Old 09-16-2009, 05:00 PM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: SVX Engine cooling "Again & Again"

This may sound stupid but have you tried water wetter?

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel
Old 09-16-2009, 05:49 PM

Not sure that it will help with cooling but if you can explain how I would appricate it.
Tony
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
Old 09-16-2009, 05:53 PM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

Water Wetter? Is that it?

I guess the overheating EG33 problem under an extreme condition outweighs by far the issue of adding a coolant.

Something has to be made concerning the issue of boiling water in the block.

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 09-16-2009, 06:04 PM
What Potholes ???

Registered SVX

This one http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=74&pcid=10
Only reason I would ever suggest it is because of the quality and experience I have had with their other products. If it can lower the temps 20 degrees that is nothing to sneeze at.

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Old 09-16-2009, 06:14 PM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

Michael, this product might be great and all, but I don't think anyone doing boost or high profile N/A would bet on the reliability of his +$6000 setup over a $10 bottle of coolant.

That might be added to tapping or whatever enhancement is done in the cooling process.

We will be waiting on Tony and Tom's project developments to see what they would come up with.

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 09-16-2009, 06:23 PM
What Potholes ???

Registered SVX

I agree, just thought it might be something to experiment with. I'm not going to pretend I know what I'm talking about on this subject.

Old 09-16-2009, 06:37 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

Wasn't their discussion somewhere of a issue with the cooling channels with in the block. Specifically the back of the block boiling the coolant almost? IT had to do with a forced injection but could possible be an issue for you?

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles
Old 09-16-2009, 07:29 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dessertrunner View Post
My reason is that at this time I don't know anywere in the world that someone has an SVX engine that stays cool at high revs.
What I have found recently is the following:-
- Multiple pass radiator "DID NOT" slove the problem.
- A bigger Radiator "DID NOT" slove the problem (buggy radiator is 3 times bigger then my PBR).

So the big question is what do we now know.
The only way my over heating issue can happen is that the left head was overheating as that is were dash & ECU temp guage is.

Will keep you posted. Tony
Tony, trying to apply some crude logic to your previous results.

Engine and therefore pump speed, is a deciding factor according to recorded fact. I have previously mentioned speed of water flow and others have suggested possible impeller cavitation. As far as I am aware this factor has not been properly tested, whereas there is every reason to suspect this as an issue.

Reducing the pump efficiency is not difficult and involves at the worst, only the cost of a used component. The time honoured method is to drill substantial holes through the rotors.

You appear to have concluded that only the left head is overheating, but it can not be concluded that this is confined to the particular area of the engine associated with the sensors.

Speak to some old timers who have used the flat head Ford V8 for racing.

You have the fortitude and will find the answer, Trevor.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 09-16-2009, 08:09 PM
word words wording

Send a message via AIM to SomethingElse Send a message via MSN to SomethingElse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Reducing the pump efficiency is not difficult and involves at the worst, only the cost of a used component. The time honoured method is to drill substantial holes through the rotors.
Would you suggest drilling every impeller? or every other one?

Rebuilt P/S pump info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50918

If your car wont start info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...ighlight=click
Old 09-16-2009, 08:19 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

I have been granted permission to run a test on Shotgunslade's engine. I have modified the X-over manifold for the water outlet. I am going to run this modification alone w/o the aux. cooling ports in the heads to find out if this is helping the overheating issues by itself. If not, I will hook up the aux. cooling ports and work from there. After seeing the minuscule volume of the inside of the manifold I can only imagine that the flow through it is limited and I would imagine the limit is right around 6500 engine RPMS and thus the high RPM engines that are experiencing the issues. Lets see what we find and work from there.

I can honestly say that impeding the flow is not going to help anything except allowing it to overheat on both sides of the engine rather than just the one restricted at this point

Tom
Old 09-16-2009, 08:32 PM

Trevor,
I am to dumb to have concluded or come up with the idea its the left bank I have only comfirmed it as highly likly. The info that supports this argument are that the newer 6 cylinder Subarus have 2 return pipes to the radiator making me think they found the left bank wasn't getting enough cooling. Second a UK rally guy sent my buggy friend a photo of how they have moded the top pipe on the 4 cylinder so the water flows more evenly from the heads because they had been killing engines on the left bank.
Tony
Old 09-16-2009, 09:25 PM

Cooling pipe that we are modify, Tom suggestion.
Tony
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT0092.JPG (131.6 KB, 1952 views)

Last edited by Dessertrunner; 09-16-2009 at 09:40 PM.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:46 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Tom
Old 09-16-2009, 10:00 PM

Nice job Tom, have you blocked the heater pipe etc that return to the pump?
Tony