IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2009, 03:14 AM

Registered SVX
US over to europan.

Hello

Its me about the transmission.
Now i really confused. One tell me i just ave to change the C-solendion and one say TCU. And when i think i understand, Then its not work?

Can i RELLY use this tranny or NOT?
Can i JUST cange the C-soledion?
Or must i Change the TCU??

Sorry but i relly need help to understand this.
My car is allmost done now, i relly like to drive it again. But i dont understand a thing about this Tranny trouble.

What must i doo and what can bee done?

My subarus:
1992 Svx LSI 5-MT(3.54)
1998 Legacy BG 2.5L GX
Old 08-06-2009, 05:14 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Re: US over to europan.

You have two options.

1.Remove the US trans and install the proper VTD transmission.

2. Experiment and fit a new solenoid C inside the US trans. This is what you have been waiting for, I hope sooner than later someone can get it to you. IF not, I have a used VTD extension housing here, I could send one over if needed but I would rather not take it apart.

Tom
Old 08-06-2009, 06:06 AM

Registered SVX

Ok. so that is my only option if this can possible work.
To change the tranny rigt now i cant afford. So then i just have to hope for the s-solenoid then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
You have two options.

1.Remove the US trans and install the proper VTD transmission.

2. Experiment and fit a new solenoid C inside the US trans. This is what you have been waiting for, I hope sooner than later someone can get it to you. IF not, I have a used VTD extension housing here, I could send one over if needed but I would rather not take it apart.

Tom

My subarus:
1992 Svx LSI 5-MT(3.54)
1998 Legacy BG 2.5L GX
Old 08-06-2009, 04:06 PM
Phil & Belha

Aside from the *random speculation* about whether changing the C solenoid can enable a Euro TCU can operate a US gearbox properly, there is another issue.

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet, but the Euro TCU will not work with the US Speed Sensor 2. So you will need to fit a euro type speed sensor to the US gearbox. That has been done before, there's a long thread about it somewhere.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SE Sports Tourer
1996 Subaru Legacy 2.2 GX Wagon
1988 Subaru Justy J12 SL-II
Old 08-06-2009, 04:32 PM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by b3lha View Post
Aside from the *random speculation* about whether changing the C solenoid can enable a Euro TCU can operate a US gearbox properly, there is another issue.

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet, but the Euro TCU will not work with the US Speed Sensor 2. So you will need to fit a euro type speed sensor to the US gearbox. That has been done before, there's a long thread about it somewhere.
It has already been done as far as I know. Harvey helped him set up the appropriate modifications to use the proper speed sensors. If you cannot find a solenoid C for a VTD trans in the next week, let me know and I can ship you the one out of the VTD extension housing I have here

Tom
Old 08-07-2009, 03:03 AM

Quote:
It has already been done as far as I know. Harvey helped him set up the appropriate modifications to use the proper speed sensors. If you cannot find a solenoid C for a VTD trans in the next week, let me know and I can ship you the one out of the VTD extension housing I have here

Tom
hi tom can you post a pic of the offending solenoid i may have an avenue of supply but i need to see one to confirm correct part

cam
Old 08-08-2009, 05:07 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:

Tom
It has been done in Europe, but THE C SOLENOID WAS NOT CHANGED and the ORIGINAL N/C SOLENOID RETAINED. A US TCU was installed.

All exactly as i have been stating, over and over.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 08-06-2009, 04:37 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by b3lha View Post

He has done the No.2 speed sensor swap Phil, so it is set up to run with the VTD TCU Just needs the VTD C. solenoid to match. Its the best he can do.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 08-08-2009, 05:47 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au View Post
He has done the No.2 speed sensor swap Phil, so it is set up to run with the VTD TCU Just needs the VTD C. solenoid to match. Its the best he can do.

Harvey.
Harvey,

The solenoid MUST match the transmission in use, NOT the TCU. The same increasing/decreasing pulse length signal, is applied by both TCU. The "phasing" is NOT reversed.

This IS the very REASON for the different solenoids in respect of the two transmissions. Reversing the action of the solenoids corrects an otherwise incorrect signal, thus preventing the need for any mechanical alteration.

I have explained all this umpteen times. You have accepted my corrections of your previous statements regarding the difference in solenoids. (Without any apology.) But even though at the time, I pointed out in exact detail, the reason for the change in solenoid, obviously you were unable to comprehend.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 08-09-2009, 06:16 PM
Maniac modifier

wait a sec, I just had a thought that might just work....

When we did the PhaseII 4eat swap we need to use a speedo corrector to slow down the pulse for the #2 speed sensor so the ECU TCU and Speedo were not winding WAY out. What if we wired this inline to ONLY the TCU speed sensor #2 input into a US TCU. Everything else being as it was in the car but adding this and adjusting pulse signal down to normal readings for a US VSS#2. He would need a Select monitor to monitor the TCU's reading to adjust it properly but it should work and allow him to use the US TCU and will fix the issue.

The biggest problem is he would need to find someone capable of doing it

Tom
Old 08-09-2009, 06:28 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
wait a sec, I just had a thought that might just work....

When we did the PhaseII 4eat swap we need to use a speedo corrector to slow down the pulse for the #2 speed sensor so the ECU TCU and Speedo were not winding WAY out. What if we wired this inline to ONLY the TCU speed sensor #2 input into a US TCU. Everything else being as it was in the car but adding this and adjusting pulse signal down to normal readings for a US VSS#2. He would need a Select monitor to monitor the TCU's reading to adjust it properly but it should work and allow him to use the US TCU and will fix the issue.

The biggest problem is he would need to find someone capable of doing it

Tom
But damn it, both you and Harvey have instructed Alex in no uncertain manner, that he should change the existing N/C solenoid for a VTD N/O. This instruction MUST be withdrawn and cancelled.

Old 08-09-2009, 08:12 PM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
But damn it, both you and Harvey have instructed Alex in no uncertain manner, that he should change the existing N/C solenoid for a VTD N/O. This instruction MUST be withdrawn and cancelled.
Would you stfu for two seconds. I didn't say the solenoid would be flawless, I said it would keep it from binding.

This still doesn't help the fact that he needs to find someone capable in doing this.

Tom
Old 08-09-2009, 09:00 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Would you stfu for two seconds. I didn't say the solenoid would be flawless, I said it would keep it from binding.

This still doesn't help the fact that he needs to find someone capable in doing this.

Tom

I will not shut the fock up. Agitation is apparent, because your errors have been exposed.

What you said is of no consequence. The incorrect solenoid will completely reverse the operation of the transmission, relative to the signal received. It will NOT keep it from binding. It will be useless, NBG and a stupid alteration. It would NOT be "OK but not flawless." If will be 100% wrong.

You continue to uphold your incorrect statements, for no other reason than the maintenance of pride.

P.S. What you have to do, is counter the exact information I have set down, with what you consider correct, portrayed in similar exact text. Otherwise you have no fooking argument.

Last edited by Trevor; 08-10-2009 at 12:17 AM. Reason: P.S.
Old 08-10-2009, 02:37 AM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input

Alex,

I suggest you stop posting here and privately ask phil for assistance to get you out of your bind (since he is european)(including ignoring the pms you are sure to be getting from both sides of the flame war). I aggree with what he has said and I believe it is very fair to say that he and I are the two most knowledgeable people on the subject.