SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2002, 03:26 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
resonator/expansion chamber question

Hey, has anyone every hacked apart the resonator on an SVX exhaust to see what the interior design is? I'd like to know what it looks like so I have a muffler shop build me a custom exhaust, I can tell them what I need for a resonator.

Cheers,

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 11-09-2002, 03:50 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Are you planning on keeping the resonator? Is/was it rattling?

If you don't need it then donate it.
Old 11-09-2002, 07:21 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
I'm thinking of having a muffler shop build a custom exhaust system, and I would like to know how to duplicate and perhaps improve the design of the stock resonator.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 11-10-2002, 12:34 AM

I know the pipe goes straight through. As for what's in that extra space, I haven't a clue.
Old 11-10-2002, 12:53 AM
$VX

smurfs. It has to be smurfs.

- Ca$H
Old 11-10-2002, 06:17 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to alia176
Sorry guys, but a dumb question here! Is your resonator falling apart or too quiet or too noisy?

Inquiring minds and all that...

'92 SVX LSL
'03 4Runner
'96 FZJ80 Landcruiser
'90 Mercedes 300E
Old 11-10-2002, 06:33 PM

After so many miles, the resonators start to rattle very loudly. It can become quite annoying, but fortunately, it's a cheap fix if you get a custome welding job.
Old 11-11-2002, 02:40 PM

Ok, I can handle the welding job. I assume the internals are separating and that's what you're talking about welding here? If not, then external stuff like shields, flanges are a wear item?

I'm boning up on this topic in preparation of the inspection of my "loud exhaust" syndrome! Thanks for humoring me.

'92 SVX LSL
'03 4Runner
'96 FZJ80 Landcruiser
'90 Mercedes 300E
Old 11-11-2002, 04:00 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
The resonator.

Quote:
Originally posted by mbtoloczko
I'm thinking of having a muffler shop build a custom exhaust system, and I would like to know how to duplicate and perhaps improve the design of the stock resonator.
Well,,,,The resonators function, is to terminate the tuned length of the engine pipes, to the length that will return the negative wave, to the cylinder at the designed rpm.

It is designed to provide a dummy end to the pipe so that the plug of high pressure exhaust gas can expand into it, to loose pressure as quickly as possible.

It is positioned at a point along the pipe, so that the sound pressure wave will reflect back to the cylinder to drop the pressure, as the piston is rising on the exhaust stroke, at the designed rpm, about 3500/4000 rpm. If it is moved back along the pipe it will resonate at a lower rpm. If it is moved up the pipe it will chime in at a higher rpm.

The construction has to be robust to withstand the battering that the sound waves give it , no flat sections. It can have a larger volume to help with the expansion of the gas plug, especially if the engine has forced induction or No2. A Turbo's exhaust is different and should only use a large pipe to drop pressure, no resonator.

It's position along the pipe is important, and should be retained at that distance. If the front end of the system has been altered, the cats removed, then it is a new ball game, as all the components in the line affect the resonate length.

The quite exhaust sound that the SVX has, does not mean restriction, it just shows how much of the energy has been used to produce torque, little is wasted out the back.

Harvey.

Hope this will help you.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 11-12-2002, 07:20 AM

Thanks for the explanation.

'92 SVX LSL
'03 4Runner
'96 FZJ80 Landcruiser
'90 Mercedes 300E
Old 11-12-2002, 08:02 AM
Fighting with electricity

Send a message via AIM to SVX10 Send a message via Yahoo to SVX10
OAB_AU

You seem to know a good amount about the whole scavenging/resonance thing. Maybe you can give me a suggestion. I'm thinking about cutting the stock resonator out of my leftover stock piping, and installing it in my KC system (trying to get rid of some buzzing). I also have my front 2 cats removed. Now, since the piping is bigger on the KC system, and the area where the cats were is now straight through, do you (or anybody else who knows anything about this) think that 1) I should install a resonator 2) Is the stock one suitable 3) If installed, should it go in stock location, upstream (towards engine), or downstream (I'm looking to regain low end torque). I just wanna know what you think, and why, if that's not too much trouble. If so, I'll always take links so that I can read up on this stuff. Thanks.

Mat
92 SVX LS-L - Ebony Pearl - 2002 WRX 5MT trans w/STi gearset (rebuilt & installed myself ) - BMW E46 HID retrofit - Kenwood Headunit - Phoenix Gold 75x4 RMS amp - Alpine Type R 6.5" front components - Alpine Type R 6x9 3way rear speakers - 18"x9" Rota G-Force wheels w/225/40ZR18 Toyo T1R's - Mychailo's custom springs - Urethane front & rear sway bar bushings - KC exhaust (2.5" dual magnaflow) - Escaine seat swap - Removed Spoiler

I don't care if Subaru says it's STI...it will always be STi to me
Old 11-12-2002, 03:32 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: OAB_AU

Quote:
Originally posted by SVX10
You seem to know a good amount about the whole scavenging/resonance thing. Maybe you can give me a suggestion. I'm thinking about cutting the stock resonator out of my leftover stock piping, and installing it in my KC system (trying to get rid of some buzzing). I also have my front 2 cats removed. Now, since the piping is bigger on the KC system, and the area where the cats were is now straight through, do you (or anybody else who knows anything about this) think that 1) I should install a resonator 2) Is the stock one suitable 3) If installed, should it go in stock location, upstream (towards engine), or downstream (I'm looking to regain low end torque). I just wanna know what you think, and why, if that's not too much trouble. If so, I'll always take links so that I can read up on this stuff. Thanks.

Mat
I think I have answered you on the "backpressure" thread.

If you want to read up on this subject, I would recommend, " The Scientific Design of Exhaust and Intake Systems". by Philip Smith. I must add it's not for wimps. It is based on work done be a Scot Engineer, John Morrison, who did all the experiments. An old book 1962, but nothing has changed since, its all based on this theory.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.