Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 11-07-2002, 11:16 AM

Clunk or skip??

Now for my latest strange occurance. Once and awhile, only when I'm stopped (like at a light) I feel a quick thump (or jerking motion) from the rear end of my car. Hard to describe almost like it's skipping a gear or something? Only seems to be happening when I come to a stop and am ideling in gear, thanks in advance, regards laserx
Old 11-07-2002, 01:11 PM
cjoffe

I have this symptom also, but haven't diagnosed it yet. I figured it might be the tranny doing something, but then I'm just waiting for the tranny to do something bad....

CJ
Old 11-07-2002, 03:17 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
I believe Aredubjay may be the expert on this one.

What it could be is binding. The center diff holds for 5-10 seconds after you stop then it "releases" and you feel a little kick.

Possibilities - Duty Solenoid C or TCU or something else

(I still have this problem but I haven't done anything about it yet. It doesn't do it with the FWD fuse in place.)
Old 11-07-2002, 03:22 PM
cjoffe

It did it more when I first got the car (about 1.5 mos ago). It hasn't done it much recently. I have a few other things to chase in the meantime.

Thanks,
CJ
Old 11-09-2002, 03:59 PM
victorpgaines

Mine has recently started doing the same thing. The mechanic I was visiting - who is admittedly not intimately familiar with Subarus, much less the SVX - thinks it may have something to do with a vibration I feel when turning. I posted this to another thread a few weeks ago - here is a version of what I am experiencing in addition to the skip/thunk.

Thoughts?!?

The sound is a "THUNK" type of feeling/sound that I feel/hear on acceleration from standstill. I don't always hear/feel it, but seems more common after the car warms. I took it back to the mechanic, because I began noticing it after the plugs were changed approximately three weeks ago. One of the mechanics went for a ride with me, but we didn't manage to elicit the sound then (of course!!). After FAINTLY feeling it once or twice, he associated it with the vibration I feel when turning (generally more than 70 degrees in any direction, significantly more noticeable at lower/parking-lot maneuvering speeds), saying that the AWD system/drivetrain must be going bad. He said this happens to Subarus - is that true?? He continued talking, saying I may as well trash it once it becomes unbearable, because it would cost a small fortune to repair, because noone would be able to diagnose it, and I would eventually replace the entire drivetrain.
=( Please tell me something better...
Old 11-11-2002, 09:11 AM

I haven't felt it again since I put in a new resistor that fixed my hard shifting (see Dealer says I need a new transmition Not thread). Granted I haven't driven it much over the weekend as I got a good dose of the flu. I'll be driving it most of today and let's see if it happens or not, regards dave
Old 11-11-2002, 10:34 AM
Hater

how much is that resistor, BTW?

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 11-11-2002, 01:54 PM

It was $86.96 CDN including 8% PST and 7% GST and best of all my Dealer had one in stock. regards dave