Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Other Mods
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2013, 10:44 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Stevebsy Send a message via Yahoo to Stevebsy
Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
For discussion - EZ30/36 + 5EAT swap into SVX

I find myself thinking about this kind of project too often...but without quite enough knowledge to know if it's doable.

Clearly, the mechanical parts would fit up, that's not the hard part.

The hard part is swapping in a CANBUS style ECU and all the related hardware to make it happy enough to work.

I know that Kingbobdole has swapped the engine and factory wiring into at XT6 successfully, but to add the 5EAT stuff seems to be where it would be most difficult. Probably would want the entire donor chassis for the multitude of sensors for the different AWD system.

Part of this seems blasphemous, to replace the EG33, but part of it seems sensible to bring our SVXi 21st century technology.

Discuss!

Custom Oil Caps, Battery Bars, Phenolic Spacers for sale here:
http://www.x35design.com
Old 08-05-2013, 12:48 AM

Registered SVX
Re: For discussion - EZ30/36 + 5EAT swap into SVX

i've been contemplating the same swap, and as nice as the 5eat would be you could save yourself a lot of headache and use a 5mt.
1992 SVX Pearlie: AmsOil signature synthetic 10w40 and Ea15k20 filter, Cobb crank pulley, Outlaw Engineering spacers and tb bypass, LGT 5spd, Slotted Crossdrilled rotors and ceramic pads, 11:1 compression, EGR delete, Port & Polished heads, SaikoMichi catch can, A/c delete.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:33 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Stevebsy Send a message via Yahoo to Stevebsy

True..the MT route would be worlds easier and this wouldn't be too difficult of a conversion.

However, I want to keep mine AT, as it is somewhat of a family backup car and Mrsstevebsy is not a fan of the MT.

I think with a 5EAT the SVX would really be excellent.

Custom Oil Caps, Battery Bars, Phenolic Spacers for sale here:
http://www.x35design.com
Old 08-05-2013, 11:14 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

I'd like to see an EZ36 installed into an SVX (or XT6 )
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 08-05-2013, 11:23 AM

Registered SVX

the ez36r is good but the ez30r is in my opinion better just because it doesnt have the offset conrods and a possibly weaker crank because they are forced to stay within the same block.
1992 SVX Pearlie: AmsOil signature synthetic 10w40 and Ea15k20 filter, Cobb crank pulley, Outlaw Engineering spacers and tb bypass, LGT 5spd, Slotted Crossdrilled rotors and ceramic pads, 11:1 compression, EGR delete, Port & Polished heads, SaikoMichi catch can, A/c delete.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:28 AM

Registered SVX

The 5EAT - at least in 2006 3.0R Outback form - is something I would not want in the SVX. The driveability sucks - it is smooth and you hardly know it's there, but there's no telling when it will shift and the ECU dials torque down like you would never believe during the shifts. Try it, if you have not.

I have talked to these guys....

http://www.powertraincontrolsolutions.com/

.... and they have a stand alone open controller for the direct control version of the Phase 2 4EAT. The 5EAT set up would be very close.

Not even expensive. Try it first with the EG33 !!

Tapani

PS A friend has an EG33 in an XT - 788hp and 950Nm/5480 r/min @ 1,35bar -the 5 speed tranny spat teeth at that point.

PPS the low/mid range of the 3.0R is pathetic, though it does like to rev. With the desert tall gearing of the 5EAT this is not nice at all.

Last edited by Tapani; 08-05-2013 at 11:31 AM.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:19 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

I'll second Tapani on the 30R with the Auto. No bottom end torque, wouldn't pull the skin off a rice pudden.
Anything under 3500/4000 k, the box has to change down to make it go. Not to mention the terrible lag the throttle has.
The torque that the EG33 has between 2500 and 4000, is where the EZ30R lacks any up and go.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:57 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au View Post
wouldn't pull the skin off a rice pudden.

The EZ30/R swap doesn't seem too worthwhile, IMO. A lot of trouble to go through for a plastic intake manifold, VVT, and a slight loss of weight.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 08-05-2013, 08:19 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Well it is not all bad, over 4000 the inlet valve gets 10mm lift, and closes at 73* ABDC. Its a real ball teara.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:23 PM

Registered SVX

I'd much rather run an early EZ30 and VTD 4eat. Mostly for ease of installation. For the later ones, you need the matching key and ignition switch to correspond with the immobilizer. Just too much electronics to add, along with the ABS speed sensor signal for the ECU.

Then again, I hate electronics/wiring. 5eat would be cool. Also, the early EZ30 uses an IRIS system similar to the EG33 while the EZ30R does not and from driving each versions, you can completely notice the loss of low end torque.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:54 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX Classic SVX

My 2006 Outback LL Bean seems to have a lot of low end torque. The shift controller is definitely bonkers, however. It downshifts with miniscule depressions of the accelerator. Sometimes, it doesn't upshift until 5000 rpm, even though the accelerator is only halfway down. We had a malfunction that was very difficult and expensive to correct, requiring multiple trips to the shop. It would sporadically go into a mode where the SPORT light was blinking, and upshifts and downshfits would be completely unpredictable. All in all, I like the engine, but not a fan of the transmission.

94 LS-i Emerald Pearl, 106,xxx,; 246 whp; Tomyx snorkus and HKS Cold air intake; PWR aluminum radiator, silicone hoses; Inline thermostat; enhanced coolant routing; external power steering and oil coolers; Phenolic intake manifold spacers; 2004 WRX 5 speed transmission; ACT Clutch Kit, Heavy Duty Pressure Plate, Lightweight flywheel, performance disc; Group N motor mounts; ‘07 WRX 4-pot front calipers, cryo-treated slotted Tribeca rotors; Hawk HPS ferro-carbon pads; Frozenrotor rear slotted rotors; SS brake lines, Axxis Ultimate pads; Rota Torque 17x8 wheels; 245/40-17 Bridgestone RE01-R's; Koni inserts with Ground Control coilovers, Eibach springs; K-Mac camber/caster adjustable strut mounts; Urethane swaybar bushings; Bontrager rear sway bar; Urethane differential bushing; Custom Whiteline adjustable rear lateral links; Outlaw Engineering forged underdrive pulley; custom grind Web intake and exhaust cams (11 mm lift, 250° duration); solid lifters; CP custom aluminum forged 11 to 1 pistons, Brian Crower coated SS intake & exhaust valves; Brian Crower upgraded springs w/ titanium retainers; NGK sparkplugs; RallyBob (Bob Legere) ported and polished cylinder heads; Eagle H-beam rods; ACL Bearings; Cometic Head gaskets; ARP head studs & fasteners; Hydra Nemesis EMS; Wideband O2 sensor; 740cc Injectors; Walbro 255lph fuel pump; Upgraded WRX starter; Equal length SS headers (3 into 1); dual Magnaflow cat converters; 2 into 1 into 2 SS exhaust with Bullet muffler; OT Fiberglass hood; Oil pressure gauge; Programmable shift light,

2017 Subaru Forester XT, metallic dark gray, 29,xxx

2005 Porsche 911 Turbo S Cabrio, 24,xxx

2006 Subaru Outback LL Bean, 166,xxx sold

92 LSL Dark Teal, Smallcar Shift Kit - sold
Old 08-06-2013, 08:12 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunslade View Post
My 2006 Outback LL Bean seems to have a lot of low end torque. The shift controller is definitely bonkers, however. It downshifts with miniscule depressions of the accelerator. Sometimes, it doesn't upshift until 5000 rpm, even though the accelerator is only halfway down. We had a malfunction that was very difficult and expensive to correct, requiring multiple trips to the shop. It would sporadically go into a mode where the SPORT light was blinking, and upshifts and downshfits would be completely unpredictable. All in all, I like the engine, but not a fan of the transmission.
Having driven an 05 Bean very recently and having four 02-04 VDC/Bean OBs on the lot over the past 6 months, I can without a doubt, say that the torque in the EZ30R just doesn't compare one bit to the early EZ30. Which, in a heavier car that the 05s became, they need that low end torque more than they need the added high end hp.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:27 PM

Don't swap all the parts to make a canbus work in your obd1/2 chassis. Go standalone and leave the headache at the door.

my .02
Old 08-06-2013, 11:58 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackWoodsBob View Post
Don't swap all the parts to make a canbus work in your obd1/2 chassis. Go standalone and leave the headache at the door.

my .02
If doing a EZ + m/t swap, yes, you are quite right - that is by far the easier route. But when trying to also swap a Phase 2 5EAT (or 4EAT) automatic, as well, the "just swap everything" method starts to make more sense. That's the kicker. It would even be easier/cheaper to make the EZ + standalone work with a stock Phase 1 4EAT.

Is anyone really realistically interested in trying this? Because it is pretty doable, just a PITA for (IMO) little benefit.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 08-07-2013, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
If doing a EZ + m/t swap, yes, you are quite right - that is by far the easier route. But when trying to also swap a Phase 2 5EAT (or 4EAT) automatic, as well, the "just swap everything" method starts to make more sense. That's the kicker. It would even be easier/cheaper to make the EZ + standalone work with a stock Phase 1 4EAT.

Is anyone really realistically interested in trying this? Because it is pretty doable, just a PITA for (IMO) little benefit.
Unless you 'want' to stick with an auto, a 5spd would make more sense. Or a standalone tcu controller like mentioned above. (I couldn't find any listing for subaru transmissions tho).