Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Proven Engine Enhancements

Old 05-23-2010, 02:06 AM

Building an engine dyno.

Over the last couple of months I have come top the conclusion that we basicly have no solid number on what each mod will do to our engines as regards power. We make a number of changes and have no idea if they all worked or only some.
I have redesigned the roller throttle port size lots of times and clearly have no clear idea which is best. Having read that recent artical I have change my mind again so i want to be able to run tests to be able to give clear direction.

Okay enough reason, now to "HOW I THINK I WILL DO It",
I am talking to a guy to buy a "Eddy Retarders from a truck" this is then anchoured with a strain guage to measure the torque and a prox reading revs.
From that you get to calc HP and torque at the different revs.

Was going to use a water pump but they have issue and are a bit difficult for me to find.
Tony
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX 255 K Wife (Want to stay Married so not allowed to fit SC)
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
1995 - SVX Green low k mint condiation.
1995 - SVX Rally car, ex Matts car. Now to be used on track.
1992 - SVX red & Black being converted to Mid Engine.
1995 - SVX Red 143,000 bit rough.
Owned 5 others Subaru back to a 1974 1400 GSR.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:22 AM

Re: Thinking of building a engine dyno.

You guy are pretty quite,

I paid for the Telma eddy Retarder today (PDF of the unit is attached). It provides the load for the engine. A shaft is connected to the front and back for support with the front attached to a pulley and chain driven to a shaft driven from the engine. Eddy current units are limited to around 4,000 rpm so thats why the cahin drive. I am using 2.5 reduction to enable the unit to read up to 10,000 rpm on the motor & 1,600nm.
The centre section of the retarder is floating and will be fitted with a 1 ft lever at the end of which is a strain guage (set of scales). At any point in time its just a simple matter to read the pound weight and you have the ft pound the engine is producing. At the same time measure revs and you can calc the HP being produced.
I am ahead of myself a bit we control the load on the engine by feeding between 0 to 24vDC to the coils (using a old electric forklift charger) on the retarder as required to keep the engine at full load.
I recently purchased a half cut and I will pull the ECU and wiring harness from it to enable me set up the test bed.
My plan is to start with a stock standard low k engine (100,000 kilometer is low to me). Attach it as if it was in a car, full exhaust, standard intake then do a couple of base line numbers.
Then with out touching the internals of the engine I want to see what can be done to get more power from the out side, extrators, different ECU (have got the Wolf going), different injectors & roller throttle. All of it one step at a time to put solid number at each stage.

Okay thats it for me for the moment will keep you posted as I go, given that it is the slow part of the year (only working 60hour now) for me I want it all built and running in the next 6 weeks or sooner.
Have a great day all.
Tony
Attached Files
File Type: pdf AC61-60 (2).pdf (216.6 KB, 292 views)
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:05 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

Good luck Tony

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:52 AM
The car named NIGHTMARE

Send a message via MSN to Nomad

I'll be reading that ! Very interresting to know real numbers.
Old 05-25-2010, 02:13 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

was also thinking about build/purchasing one a while back... Quickly realized it would be cheaper albeit inefficient on time to just dyno the car on a chassis dyno

Tom
Old 05-25-2010, 03:06 PM

I had the same thought Tom and agree that is cheaper.
Clearly thought you never get the research done that is need to develop the SVX engine. Take for example cams. On a engine dyno you don't run timing belt covers, and when you want to change the cam its a simple matter. If the engine is in the car you have to pull it, put it back everytime.
I don't know of any serious race engine that has been developed that hasn't spent time on a engine dyno.

Besides a guy needs a hobby to keep him off the streets.
Have a great day.
Tony
Old 05-25-2010, 06:14 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dessertrunner View Post
I had the same thought Tom and agree that is cheaper.
Clearly thought you never get the research done that is need to develop the SVX engine. Take for example cams. On a engine dyno you don't run timing belt covers, and when you want to change the cam its a simple matter. If the engine is in the car you have to pull it, put it back everytime.
I don't know of any serious race engine that has been developed that hasn't spent time on a engine dyno.

Besides a guy needs a hobby to keep him off the streets.
Have a great day.
Tony
That would have bee the sole reason to build one for me... I can change a manifold in the car... Change a header in the car... But cams... it can be done w/o pulling the engine but what a PITA!! Good luck!

Tom
Old 05-25-2010, 07:13 PM

Thanks Tom, I may need all the luck I can get.
We need to get a discussion going about what we all would like to acheive in the end and how best to step through to that point.
Tony
Old 05-25-2010, 09:44 PM
Porsche Autofanatiker

Lolz, I just like ours . Except it's a water brake dyno, good for ~1000BHP

Old 05-25-2010, 10:06 PM

Adam do you find engine dyno's handy, I read one guy say "The engine dyno always comes before the car dyno" what do you think?
Tony
Old 05-26-2010, 02:59 AM

Registered SVX

Another fascinating thread from Tony, what fun to measure the changes!
http://www.ClassicSoftTrim.com http://ToyoTires.com/tire/pattern/versado-lx Gillman Subaru of Houston
"QuickChange" http://www.TransGo.com/ http://www.PlanetSVX.com Bontrager Works,

'92 Subaru SVX LS-L Claret ORIGINAL OWNER
'92 LS-L Pearl~ '92 LS Pearl~ '92 LS-L Teal~ '92 LS-L Silver~ '95 LSi Polo~
'92 JDM Alcyone SVX Version-L 4WS Pearl~ http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54143
'92 JDM Alcyone SVX Version-L 4WS Ebony~ http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54117
Old 05-26-2010, 05:45 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Tony the hardest part of building the eddy current dyno, is getting rid of the heat that is produced. If the engine puts out 180 kW, you have to get rid of 180 kWs of heat.
The water or "Froude brake" uses the water to dissipate the heat. The Eddy current has to be air cooled, so it can only be used for short runs.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:20 PM

Hi Harvey,.
Thats true so the way I get round it is to use a unit capable of handling 1,600nm which is way over kill. It is also open to the air so the unit provides self cooling. As I understand it the cooling of the unit can handle lower heat levels for long periods.
Should be interesting.
Tony
Old 05-28-2010, 02:43 AM

The retarder was delivered, as they say its a big mother. I put an injector so you can get a idea of the size.
Tony
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT0680.JPG (170.9 KB, 235 views)
Old 05-28-2010, 05:30 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

It does look like it could dissipate the heat OK, if it is feed plenty of air.
Ozzie ingenuity at its Best.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.