Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-05-2009, 10:12 AM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX
Unhappy SVX no go :-(

So, lately my SVX has been having the dreaded click start issue. I installed the Bosch relay and this seemed to solve the problem for a while. However, the clicking returned.

I was just dealing with the clicking until this morning when it decided to just stop working. The car clicked twice (each time with my key turn) and then the car just went dead. I have what seems to be no electricity (power locks, lights, etc). However, I can get the horn to momentarily chirp when I use the remote clicker and the light is on in the driver's side keyhole. So, there's some power left, but it's odd that the car just now decided to stop working.

Suggestions please? My SVX is my DD and I can't be without it for long. I'm pretty sure the starter needs replaced but I can't figure out this new symptom. It's almost like the battery instantly went dead for some reason.

Also, I put the multi-meter across the battery and was receiving 12.3v across the terminals.

Thank you in advance!
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 08-05-2009, 11:07 AM

Re: SVX no go :-(

This may sound dumb and simple but... did you make sure your battery terminals are connected securely? I had a similar problem once and would have sworn up and down that they were locked down nice and tight. Sure enough, I was wrong and there was just enough wiggle room to be causing it to act up.

Also, there is a ground wire that grounds out to the chassis in front of the battery box. I believe this wire traces right back to the - terminal on the battery. On my last SVX, I seem to remember the bolt holding the wire down rusted and broke and that wire was just hanging loose. It may be worth checking that, as well. Just to rule out any simple grounding issues.

This may be all obvious stuff you have already checked, so sorry if this info is redundant.

1996 Subaru SVX LSi (Red)
2019 Subaru WRX LTD
Old 08-05-2009, 11:09 AM

Registered SVX

Disconnect the battery and clean the terminals with water and a sandpaper in the inside, also do the same in the battery terminals. This is caused by lead sulfate.
70' Olds Toronado
98' Renault Chamade
82' Honda Prelude
79' Honda Accord awaiting restomod.
69' Mustang Hardtop
67' Jeep Ford Willys awaiting restoration.
67' IKA Torino Coupe
74' Renault Torino Coupe
Old 08-05-2009, 11:12 AM

Also... If you jump the car, will it start? If it does, and you might suspect something slightly draining your battery, you may want to check the wiring going into your visors. Often, these wires break and short out. If you are draining your battery JUST enough to prevent the car from starting, this might be a good place to check. Both of my SVXs had this problem.

1996 Subaru SVX LSi (Red)
2019 Subaru WRX LTD
Old 08-05-2009, 01:01 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

I have to concur with these guys and say you need to clean your battery terminals thoroughly. I have had this happen on a few cars, and it was always slight corrosion on the inside of the battery terminals and posts.

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 08-05-2009, 02:50 PM

My teal did this not long after I bought it: Stopped at a convenience store, came out a couple of minutes later and the car acted as if the battery had been removed. Flatline. No advance warning. It was the battery.

dcb
Old 08-05-2009, 03:04 PM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX

Well, it appears to have been a combination of two things.

1. Corrosion on the terminals (I think I may need a new positive lead...it's looking bad).

2. The nut on the back of the starter at the positive lead was backed off really far. I don't know how this happened, but I tightened the crap out of it and the car immediately jumped to life as soon as I cleaned the terminals and tightened this bolt.

Thanks to all of you for your assistance!
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi