Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Other Mods

Old 07-12-2009, 04:38 AM

Contemplating dual exhaust.

My car basically has no exhaust on it now, the previous dufus cut it off not far after the manifolds and put about 8' of straight 2.25" pipe on each side with a pair of turbo mufflers mounted right under the rear suspension. One side fell off on the drive from his house to the shop after I bought it, apparently sheetrock screws and coat hangers don't make good exhaust attaching hardware.

I searched for pictures of dual exhaust installations, but only found drawings and a nicely done system sitting outside the car. I'd like to see one installed in the car for inspiration, I have an idea of where everything can go, but seeing it done will certainly help. I'm mostly considering duals because I don't feel like making a Y-pipe. I believe the pipe coming from the manifolds is 2.25" and I will be using the 2.25" Turbos since they are brand new and only slightly banged up, there will be no catalytic converters and I would like to keep the stock tips.

So, if anyone has pictures of installed dual exhaust systems, I will be very grateful.

Last edited by Elliott; 07-12-2009 at 04:53 AM.
Old 07-12-2009, 08:12 AM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
Re: Contemplating dual exhaust.

ok, 6:30 Sunday morning and you are contemplating your exhaust. I think it's fair to say you are taking this seriously. I'm going to guess the drawing you found was mine and the photo you found was of my system with the x-pipe rather than the x-muffler.

If you do the dual exhaust I would definitely suggest the x-muffler over the x-pipe but I would rather steer you a different direction ( I think I made a drawing and posted a picture of this too). Cut out that remaining 8 inches of oe pipe left on the flanges which bolt to your exhaust manifolds. It is double wall and has a very small id. With it removed the id of the flanges is actually about 2.25". Use 2.25 tubing from the exhaust manifold flanges and a pair of 2.25" standard magnaflow cats--one on each primary tube. Don't worry about a secondary cat. Go straight back to a magnaflow 2 in 1 out muffler mounted in the middle where the oe secondary cat and resonator were. The muffler should be a 2.25+2.25 in to 2.5 out. Run a 2.5" tube back to an OE muffler.

That's the system I have on the pearly I have my mom driving around. It doesn't have any hint of resonation at any time. It's quiet. It sounds good. It performs well. I just sold a basically new oe muffler to svxfiles. You can buy it from him.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:05 PM
95 Laguna Blue 5 Speed
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Send a message via AIM to jokethis89
Thumbs up Re: Contemplating dual exhaust.

I say go for it!

I love mine:
Old 07-12-2009, 11:35 PM

Registered SVX

I heard some one say that the SVX pace car has dual exhaust? If this is true any one got pics of it?
1973 1400 GSR Yelo 2 Door Coupe awaiting Restoration
Old 07-13-2009, 12:03 AM

Does the differential cross member exclusively favor exhaust routing only around one side, or would it possibly allow a split to both sides?

a symmetrical system would be very cool, but perhaps not technically important, that far back in the system.

I still think a true dual system with some exhaust valves that either engage, or bypass the rear chambered muffler, would be a heck of a thing to try, hooked to a switch that allows open, closed, and automatic tied to engine demand somehow.

------------

1992 Claret SVX. Rescued from certain destruction, and still on the road, where it belongs. Waiting for a bit of a makeover, when I can afford it.
2005 Garnet Red Pearl Legacy GT Limited 5-speed. - The late great Subaru sport touring sedan.
1999 Classic Red Miata, Preferred equipment package 5-speed. Fun, fun, fun, in the Sun, sun, sun.
Old 07-13-2009, 03:02 AM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbieatnz View Post
I heard some one say that the SVX pace car has dual exhaust? If this is true any one got pics of it?
From the rear of the car

From the front
Old 07-13-2009, 04:42 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
From the rear of the car

From the front
What did it sound like
1973 1400 GSR Yelo 2 Door Coupe awaiting Restoration
Old 07-13-2009, 04:52 AM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbieatnz View Post
What did it sound like
It was so quiet, you couldn't even hear it running....

That may be more due to the lack of a fuel tank than because of the exhaust though????
Old 07-13-2009, 05:09 AM

I like the way it is done in the pace car. I'm definitely trying to do this as simple as possible.

Is the brace under the differential missing on the pace car?

Last edited by Elliott; 07-13-2009 at 05:11 AM.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:44 AM
95 Laguna Blue 5 Speed
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Send a message via AIM to jokethis89

Yeah I would love to see how they did that bracket, I tried to go around either side but it would have been waay too low.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:52 AM

They seem to have run 2.5" on the pace car, I will only have 2.25". I think I could rework that brace so it goes under the exhaust pretty easily, I'll get under there and look today if I have time.
Old 07-16-2009, 05:38 PM

I'm going to make a new differential brace that will allow the exhaust to pass beside the differential on both sides. It is almost too easy, a combination of the brace on the car now, the brace from my parts car and some square tubing and I will have more of a crossmember than a brace, it will be 10x stronger than what was there, while allowing the exhaust to run above it.

Anyone know how close the differential comes to hitting the ground when the car is at its lowest point? I know some old Datsun Z cars and Corvettes would smack the differential into the ground on a hard launch. I think Subaru might be a little smarter than that, but you never know.

Last edited by Elliott; 07-16-2009 at 05:45 PM.
Old 07-16-2009, 06:43 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX

My car with stock suspension, fully loaded down, will scrape the exhaust over bumps, but that's mainly because my exhaust is all funkied up and hangs lower than it should.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 07-16-2009, 06:46 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott View Post
I'm going to make a new differential brace that will allow the exhaust to pass beside the differential on both sides. It is almost too easy, a combination of the brace on the car now, the brace from my parts car and some square tubing and I will have more of a crossmember than a brace, it will be 10x stronger than what was there, while allowing the exhaust to run above it.

Anyone know how close the differential comes to hitting the ground when the car is at its lowest point? I know some old Datsun Z cars and Corvettes would smack the differential into the ground on a hard launch. I think Subaru might be a little smarter than that, but you never know.

Just get rid of the brace. It is a safety hanger and nothing more

Tom
Old 07-16-2009, 07:01 PM

I was under the impression that it was to keep the differential from moving under acceleration, I guess you know better than I do, this is my first car with IRS.