Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Proven Engine Enhancements

Old 05-16-2009, 12:03 AM

EG33 fuel pressure question

Howdy there, just a couple of quick questions. First off, I've recently installed a wideband o2 sensor, and long story short, it seems that its reading on the lean side. To combat this, and richen my AFR's up a bit, I would like to up the fuel pressure a few pounds to see if that helps things. From what I've read on my own, a good target AFR for an N/A motor is around 12.5:1 WOT. My current readings indicate that I'm running ~13.5:1 at WOT, which tells me that my engine is taking in slightly more air than it knows what to do with. This tells me that I have met the supposed 250 chp ceiling that the MAF can reach, and that more fuel would not necessarily be a bad idea. In lieu of installing the ECUtune 2v7 kit (which I am currently in the process of gathering parts for) I am curious if there is something I can do on my own to make my car run better and safer for the time being, (as well as continue to use in the future.)

So my questions are:

1. Is there another FPR from a different subaru that has a slightly higher operating pressure that would be a direct bolt on?

2. What IS the standard operating fuel pressure of the eg33 motor? I would guess somewhere in the standard (38-43 psi) range?

3. Would installing an aftermarket fuel pump (walbro 255) do the job? Or would it just overstress the stock FPR and eventually itself?

4. Is this something that has been discussed before, and I have just not found an answer? If so, I apologize for my lack of searching!

I have an electronic fuel pressure guage as well as an aeromotive adjustable FPR on another car, but as I say... it's currently in use on another car, and I'd like to keep it there. If I CAN up the fuel pressure a hair without the use of costly aftermarket parts, I would welcome this. Also, adjustability isn't really a concern if another FPR would work correctly at its orginal setting. I was thinking maybe I could get lucky and be able to use an FPR off of a turbo motor of some sort.

Any insight to this would be welcome. And, if you think this is a bad idea, please shoot holes in it and give me good reasons why. I'd hate to do something for no reason, espescially when good advice warrants not to.

Thank you for any responses!

Home of the Bontrager Works 22mm rear sway bar!!

Last edited by Nevin; 05-16-2009 at 12:06 AM.
Old 05-16-2009, 02:39 AM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: EG33 fuel pressure question

All SVXi used a 36.3 psi FPR.
From 2000 on Subaru went to a 43.5 (or so) psi FPR and it is a bolt in.
LAN, YT, and I have had a Walbro for years with no bad carma.
Sov13t has the Stage2, Version7 for sale since He is going with YT's stand alone.
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 05-16-2009, 12:27 PM

Awesome, thank you. Also, would it be "overworking" a stock fuel pump to switch to one of the higher pressure FPRs? Maybe I'll just go to the walbro anyway, since I would like to attempt boost sometime in the future.

p.s. I ordered a set of phenos, and they showed up. So, thanks to you, I may be installing those today!

Last edited by Nevin; 05-16-2009 at 12:29 PM.
Old 05-16-2009, 02:16 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevin View Post
1)Also, would it be "overworking" a stock fuel pump to switch to one of the higher pressure FPRs?
2)Maybe I'll just go to the walbro anyway, since I would like to attempt boost sometime in the future.

3)p.s. I ordered a set of phenos, and they showed up. So, thanks to you, I may be installing those today!
1) I've run up to 60+ psi with no ill results, BUT I DON'T RECCOMEND IT!
2) Just open all of the windows and doors, sunroof, trunk and gas cap door first, disconnect the battery before you start and cover it with No Smoking signs.
3) phenos = phenolic spacers.
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 05-16-2009, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxfiles View Post
1) I've run up to 60+ psi with no ill results, BUT I DON'T RECCOMEND IT!
2) Just open all of the windows and doors, sunroof, trunk and gas cap door first, disconnect the battery before you start and cover it with No Smoking signs.
3) phenos = phenolic spacers.
1. I don't plan on running THAT much fuel, lol.

2. I've done other "in car" fuel pumps before. Not the MOST fun i've ever had, but not as bad as I thought.

3. Phenos installed, along with polished intake manifold. Me likey. I'll be adding a new post sometime soon in the SVX babble with pictures.