Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Proven Engine Enhancements

Old 06-05-2012, 05:45 PM

Re: 285whp??... Haha, it's back - with 320whp!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynomatt View Post
I think there's a standard valve length and stem diameter in the EJ20's isn't there? They're definitely a 6mm stem, but the length was the same...Google tells me it's 104.75mm. I just used those ones.

They are short, so a shim is needed that sits on the valve...here's one of my shims. Sits on the top of the valve stem.

Matt
Thanks for that info Matt. This certainly makes a bit more sense. The EJ20 has many different valve lengths. You may recall Subaru have used quite a few different types of bucket, some hydraulic with rockers, basic hydraulics, shim over, shim under and shimless. IIRC there are 3 different valve lengths not including SOHC stuff.

Hopefully this afternoon I will have some measurements for both the MY99 WRX valve and the MY98 WRX valve to publish.

If the length is an issue as you've indicated, I'm more inclinded to machine out my hydraulic buckets into solids to suit each position.
Old 06-05-2012, 05:47 PM

Registered SVX

Having said all of that, I did have some problems with my valvetrain...I think the installed seat pressure wasn't enough on some so they let go. I also think the shim overlapped the valve stem too far on some to the point where the shim was pushing on the collets...which in turn meant the valves dropped.

I plan (when i have some money) to completely redo my heads again soon.

M
Old 06-05-2012, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Having said all of that, I did have some problems with my valvetrain...I think the installed seat pressure wasn't enough on some so they let go. I also think the shim overlapped the valve stem too far on some to the point where the shim was pushing on the collets...which in turn meant the valves dropped.

I plan (when i have some money) to completely redo my heads again soon.

M
Good plan, keen to see what you come up with. Also the other thing I've been meaning to ask - with regards to the timing belt issues you had when you shaved your heads / block - did you find it lost power on the dyno etc?
Old 06-05-2012, 05:54 PM

Registered SVX

I'm not convinced it lost power... but then it never really made any power. The static timing has been set reasonably well...it's not perfect, but it's not out by orders of magnitude.

I was reading a Toyota V6 article the other day and they solved the problem, by making the timing gears adjustable as well as the toothed belt pulley...so in theory, three adjustments for cam timing. In the longer term, this is what we'd need to do if you were chasing the perfect cam timing.

M
Old 06-05-2012, 07:06 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverLift View Post
Great info, very interesting read, thanks!

For your plan with the LS coils, they would each be fired by the MS, i.e. each coil would have wires to/from the ECU, unlike the EDIS which just has 2 wires to the EDIS module? Obviously the MS is required, what other things must be modified?

cheers
-Evan
Oops, I never noticed this question, but yes, the coils would each be fired by the MS, directly from the outputs. The LS coils are "logic level" which I don't entirely know what that means, but basically each coil also has an igniter built in, so all you have to do is tell it when to fire, and the dwell times (not 100% sure what that means either) and it will work. The tricky part of making it work is giving the megasquirt a crank sensor that it can read to get the timing down. It will not be for a long time that I'm able to do it, but I'll be sure to document the process as much as possible.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 06-11-2012, 06:37 PM

Registered SVX

I've got that timing and crank sensor info for a MS if you want (although I think I sent you a scan??).

Dwell is the charging time...charge too much and the coil overheats and fries, but the spark is big (bigger spark=better bang), charge it too little and the spark isn't enough to get the engine working.

The SVX coils are dumb coils...the later WRX/STI onwards have built in ignitors. The STI coils are a viable COP option, whereas LS1 or Bosch (as I'm going) will require a lead.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:00 PM

Quote:
I've got that timing and crank sensor info for a MS if you want (although I think I sent you a scan??).

Dwell is the charging time...charge too much and the coil overheats and fries, but the spark is big (bigger spark=better bang), charge it too little and the spark isn't enough to get the engine working.

The SVX coils are dumb coils...the later WRX/STI onwards have built in ignitors. The STI coils are a viable COP option, whereas LS1 or Bosch (as I'm going) will require a lead.
I'd go the GDB STI (or EZ30) units for sure, can jump 5+ times further than stock SVX coils. What you can do is set them up for a lead like I've done with mine or you can drill out one side and mount them to the head. You can pick up a set for around $150 from Import Monster... and buy 2 extras individually.

Bosch ones tend to fail for to easily, had 3 fail over the years - one exploded.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:04 PM

Registered SVX

Bazza, for sure. Although, check the boot length. I have the EZ30 ones and the boot is too short. I believe one of the STI boots would be a better fit.

M
Old 06-11-2012, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Bazza, for sure. Although, check the boot length. I have the EZ30 ones and the boot is too short. I believe one of the STI boots would be a better fit.

M
Definetely - I can look up the part number for the boot if you like? The EZ30 coil will prolly be cheaper as most pay more as soon as anything says STI :P So could work out cheaper with EZ30 coils and STI boots
Old 06-11-2012, 07:16 PM

Registered SVX

If you could that would be great thanks. I remember coming across a site that referenced the boot lengths...but I've gone and forgotten/lost the link.

Then I can unload my bosch ones and try again.

Thanks,
Matt
Old 06-11-2012, 07:16 PM

Registered SVX

Actually, if you have a source of the loom plugs that suit those coils too, that'd be helpful...the 3 wire plugs.

M
Old 06-11-2012, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Actually, if you have a source of the loom plugs that suit those coils too, that'd be helpful...the 3 wire plugs.

M
Try Rising Sun Subaru in QLD or Ichiban Imports in NSW. Import Monster (website) will prolly be the best spot if you want the entire engine loom to cut up. Search for BH5 / BH6 / EJ208 / EJ206 / etc as the Legacy's also came with those plugs and coils.

I'll see if I can find those part numbers for you.

Last edited by bazza; 06-11-2012 at 09:11 PM.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:30 PM

Sorry, cannot find the actual boot but this might be handy:

Coil parts:
http://opposedforces.com/parts/impre...llustration_1/

Coil part number (entire coil):

http://www.partswebsite.com/subarupa...partnum=accept
Old 06-11-2012, 09:47 PM

Registered SVX

I knew i'd find it...45minutes of my life i'm never getting back

http://www.rslibertyclub.org/forums/...=1#post1069271
Old 06-11-2012, 09:48 PM

Registered SVX

Actually, I think this post is more relevant.

http://www.rslibertyclub.org/forums/...=1#post1069667

I think we need the longest one, but my memory of when i had them side by side is hazy.

M